Motion for a separate sub-forum for venting and complaints

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

I understand some people feel the need to vent and complain. At the same time, I think the rest of us have a right not to have 6/10 of the posts in the main forums to be complaints. This is particularly true when someone has come just to complain rather than calmly seek a solution.

You could call it a complaint sub-forum or a help sub-forum and combine requests for help with the complaints in there.

Either way, I think we really need this and I think the moderators need to aggressively enforce it and move posts there when needed.

It's not censorship. It's simply cleaning up the forums. By having these negative Nancy's on the rest of the forums it destroys morale and it likely scares off a lot of potential new recruits to Windows Phone.

Furthermore it serves no purpose. The right of people to vent and complain does not outweigh the rights of the rest of us not to have all of the forums polluted with the negativity.

I don't want to hear that "we don't have to read the thread". That is not an excuse. There are sub-forums for different subjects and if there ever was something that needed it's own sub-forum THIS IS IT.

Who is with me?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh the irony.

Save it.

I'm trying to contribute something to the forums here.

THAT my friend is the difference between this and the plethora of ***** and moan threads about molecules of dust under the FFC lens or the phone being rubbed raw by a cheap case.

If you can't tell the difference, then it's likely you are part of the problem.

If anyone wants to be part of the solution, vote YES.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We already have a sticky for people to voice their displeasure. We created it with the intention of allowing posters to voice their frustrations in a constructive manner.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nt-like-wp8-part-2-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

We do try to limit complaints/rants but making a sub forum would create a safe haven for inflammatory comments. Ultimately those comments would spill out to the rest of WPCentral. Furthermore, not everyone's problem is unsolvable. Many complaint threads exist simply because the poster doesn't know the solution. Many posters are willing to provide an answer but often times those good samaritans won't visit such a sub forum because of the overwhelming negativity.

We do encourage posters to use the Report feature if they believe a thread needs moderation.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL so we can bury this post.... but the incessant complaints about the same things don't get moved or merged into one thread?

Got it.

I'm out of here.

Deleting my account, or emailing the mods to do it for me if I can't.

I'm done with this forum.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
LOL so we can bury this post.... but the incessant complaints about the same things don't get moved or merged into one thread?

Got it.

I'm out of here.

Good luck finding another forum half as civil as this one. Go to the WP8 & WP7 forums at XDA and see what the law firm of *****, Whine & Complain really looks like.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
We already have a sticky for people to voice their displeasure. We created it with the intention of allowing posters to voice their frustrations in a constructive manner.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nt-like-wp8-part-2-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

We do try to limit complaints/rants but making a sub forum would create a safe haven for inflammatory comments. Ultimately those comments would spill out to the rest of WPCentral. Furthermore, not everyone's problem is unsolvable. Many complaint threads exist simply because the poster doesn't know the solution. Many posters are willing to provide an answer but often times those good samaritans won't visit such a sub forum because of the overwhelming negativity.

We do encourage posters to use the Report feature if they believe a thread needs moderation.

Yeah, I've read through that. Makes logical sense actually. However I know if I was a mod, I would be ramming that forum so hard with moderation from inflammatory comments it wouldn't get chance to spill out to the rest of WPCentral. Personal attack? Warning/Infraction/Ban (depending on the offence number and severity, and I understand the forum solution being used here, even if I do personally prefer ZetaBoards). I would NOT allow it to spill out though. It may be a rants section, but the rules are still to be upheld. Or they will get a One Way Ticket to the Blues (and a smack with the OMGWTFPWNEDPERMABANHAMMER)

Got it.

I'm out of here.

So you're deleting your account because the forum mods made a valid criticism to your post? And actually showed you a strong counter-argument? That unfortunately makes you no better than the people you're complaining about. It makes you sound entitled, like your POV must be held above all others. I know we all do that to an extent, but it's knowing to stay civilised and not let it get the better of you. Take it from someone who gets it wrong socially (in the real life) all the darn time...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, it seems not a lot of people stick to that thread. I can't count all of the new threads of people doing nothing more than saying "I'm leaving Windows Phone!", and that's IT. They have 2 posts, one to complain elsewhere (ignoring many helpful suggestions from people) and one saying they're leaving. I think a nice rant thread or something would be nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium