Motorola Announces Project Ara, An Open, Modular Smartphone Hardware Platform

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I not sure, I don't like the block look and I think it will take at least another 5 years or so to iron out the flaws.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I got a page not found.

Anyway, if this is what I think it is, where you pick your own cellphone components I do not see it being a good business model.

For starters it would be very expensive. Cell phone makers acheive profit through economies of scale. You loose that when you start offering customized solutions.

Second, it would require many consumers to become way more knowledgeable than they either need, nor want. This leaves the enthusiasts crowd which leads back to point number one.

The third and final thing that will kill this idea is adoption. For something like this to succeed all cellphone makers would need to adopt the idea. This would the brakes on device design. It wouldn't matter who made the device because they will all look alike.

Carib1964

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Apparently the link has the word s**t which is replaced on posting. At the 404 page just click on the image and it should re direct you to the article.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, it makes perfect sense.

Imagine if the battery in every smartphone was standardized, so instead of every single phone having a different size/shape/connector/rating of battery, there was one design, so you buy your cheap phone, then decide you need more juice, just go to the shop, buy a different battery, no worrying about compatibility, or buying the wrong one, etc.

Make the ram/storage chip common in all phones, so people who are ok with 1GB Ram & 8GB storage are ok, if someone needs 8GB Ram & 256GB Storage can just buy a different chip and swap it.

That to me is the key. Don't go for the whole phone like this/phonebloks, but start with the bits that can be easily standardized, and need the most variation.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I love the idea. I'm glad MotoGoogle thought of this, as it's a good idea. Of course it won't be released and ready this year, maybe like 2-3 years, but I like this better than upgrading for this and that. A lot cheaper for consumers to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)