Moving From 1020 to 950 XL

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
So I decided to finally go for the 950 XL. With the BOGO offer I couldn't resist. It is supposed to arrive on Monday. I have been out of the loop on new builds because my 1020 got dropped from being supported by Microsoft. I was rather upset by this (still am...) and dropped WP altogether for a short while (got a BlackBerry PassPort, I LOVE that thing!), but I really missed WP.

Anyways, I will be officially back on WP once I have the 950 XL in my hands (even got approval to work from home on Monday so as not to miss the delivery lol). So what all have I missed? Any suggestions or tips that I should do right away on the phone before I really start to use it? I know I will pretty much immediately move it to the insider Redstone builds, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

coolj40041

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Download the Windows Device Recovery Tool to your PC. Hook the phone up to it to see if the firmware needs to be updated. After that is updated, you will need to enter your account information. Then you need to update the OS by going to the settings app on the phone, just like your 1020. Then update the apps from Microsoft store, especially the apps important to phone functionality. From there it's up to you to customize your phone. That's my recommendation anyway.
Oh, and if you move it to Redstone, please remember that it is still in development stage, so you will probably see bugs in it. You may get new features that we here in Threshold don't have, but you will have a less stable experience, so please don't blame Microsoft for something they haven't officially released yet. There are often posts here to that effect. Also I saw a Forbes article complaining about how unstable Redstone is. I wanted to send him a comment or 2, but didn't want to register to do it, lol.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks coolj40041! I was reading lots of reports of issues using the phone straight of the box, so your suggestion of WDRT is probably a good idea. And no worries on complaining about an unstable release :) that was actually the reason I am still upset about the 1020 not being supported. Too many people didn't understand how to use the feedback to Microsoft on unofficial releases. I am a programmer analyst so I totally understand the process Microsoft is attempting to do (I understand your pain about all of the complaining). Thanks again for your input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett