Moving from Windows Phone to Android

Darren Hynes

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I've been using Android for almost 3 years now. My advice is don't try to make an Android device look or act like a Windows Phone. I've also used desktop Linux along with desktop Windows for many years, and I've never attempted to make desktop Linux look like desktop Windows, or vice-versa.

My main suggestion is to embrace Google. When I switched, I exported all my contacts from outlook.com to Gmail, and used Google going forward. That way there were no issues with contacts/calendar not syncing that seems to be a common issue for many former Windows Phone users.

I don't think you have to commit to Google that much if you use Samsung Android. All of my personal contacts are still linked to my outlook.com account and work contacts to my Office 365 account and they work fine and work in the calendar. It may not work that well on Pixel's because you need to use the Google apps, I tried a Nokia and it was didn't play nice with my outlook account, but with Samsung's you can use their apps straight up without trying Nine or any other third party app. The only time you absolutely need a gmail email address is for the Play Store and Maps. Everything else you can stay with MSFT.

Darren Hynes

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
You are right about Google contacts and calendar.

What's the problem with using Outlook on Android? I loaded my outlook email into my S8 and everything was automatically there, no need for any third party email apps. I ionly use Gmail for the Play Store and Maps, for now. Having said that, there a plenty of reasons to get into using your Gmail account more, for eg., if you want to stop using OneDrive and go to Google photos, but I don't think contacts and calendar is one of the reasons.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not about 2 months into using an Android phone (LG V30) after never having had anything but a Windows device. I'm getting used to it (still prefer the Windows phones) but one huge difference is the amount of ads that pop up all over the place on my V30. I don't know if it was the Windows OS or maybe advertisers didn't care about advertising on Windows phones because of the low market penetration, but this is ridiculous. Pop up and insert digital ads fill up my screen constantly. I have not installed any third party ad blocking app, but I never had to on Windows. Any recommendations?

Kentrepid2

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Can't agree more about Nine app - Email, Calendar, Contacts all sync perfectly. If you're remaining in Outlook, Office 365 eco-system - it's a must. It even lets you create icons for each of Email Contacts and Calendar -something the Outlook app for Android won't even let you do.

It is a paid app.

Michael Flintof

May 28, 2018
Visit site
It's been 3 years since I switched to android from windows.
I advised you to select an android device which supports all apps of MS-Office. Generally, windows users are used to frequently use ms word, powepoint etc apps from phone when laptop or pc is not near by.
If your android phone does not support these apps then it will be very painful.
It will take few days to monitor user interface of android because it is much different than any windows phone.
Thank you.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
What is everyone using as a replacement for the WM My Tube app? Primary function I'm looking for is to download YouTube videos to watch while I am commuting underground or traveling by plane.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What is everyone using as a replacement for the WM My Tube app? Primary function I'm looking for is to download YouTube videos to watch while I am commuting underground or traveling by plane.

You must pay for YouTube Premium. Downloading videos without that is against YouTube's ToS. For some reason Google seems to overlook the YouTube apps on the Microsoft Store that download videos.

Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store do not allow those apps.

And just a tip: because this is against Google's ToS, you will get shut down on this site for pursuing this here. The only answer is to subscribe to YouTube Premium.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought since My Tube can still do it there wasn't a legal issue.

My Tube and other apps like it exist on the Microsoft Store, but they violate Google's Terms of Service. I'm not sure if any of us know why Google does not pursue it. My guess is that it is not worth their time.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is part of the "future considerations" for Google to provide stemming from one of the patent settlements a while ago ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is part of the "future considerations" for Google to provide stemming from one of the patent settlements a while ago ;)

Like I said above, I'm guessing that Google has bigger fish to fry. I doubt it has anything to do with goodwill, or even future goodwill.

Swapy

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
@jeffchapik - is that it? What other key things will be missing? Any areas Android can pick up the slack on, or have equivalent solutions for?
There is a lot of choices of apps in Android than in WP. I have been using both the phones and i have observed WP seems more smoother than Android plus WP is easy to use but since WP lacks many apps...Android takes the upper hand...

Swapy

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
My Tube and other apps like it exist on the Microsoft Store, but they violate Google's Terms of Service. I'm not sure if any of us know why Google does not pursue it. My guess is that it is not worth their time.
WP are not so famous or i say not used by many therefore there are less choices for apps but there are some useful apps made by Microsoft

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
How are people who keep their contacts in Outlook syncing those contacts to the phone's "contacts"? -- My contacts show up fine when I go to compose an email in Outlook, and my calendars also show up fine in Outlook on Android, but no contacts in the phone dialer or text messages. I will not migrate them over to a google account and try to deal with syncing across multiple services as 99% of the time I will remain on Windows. Is that what "Nine" is for?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
How are people who keep their contacts in Outlook syncing those contacts to the phone's "contacts"? -- My contacts show up fine when I go to compose an email in Outlook, and my calendars also show up fine in Outlook on Android, but no contacts in the phone dialer or text messages. I will not migrate them over to a google account and try to deal with syncing across multiple services as 99% of the time I will remain on Windows. Is that what "Nine" is for?

Have a look at an app called Akruto Sync. I've used it for years to sync WP, Apple and android phones with Contacts, email and calendar. It works with Exchange and works quite well. It can sync via Wifi or direct connect to PC; your choice.

sumanthsuresh

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
So THATS what the problem is!! I thought that I was not understanding a basic problem with the app ... so sad that it can't be fixed, as if you're driving with the radio on it's hard to hear the directions. I just might have to dump Google & Waze maps and use On-Star instead. They are very good maps, but if you can't hear them what good are they?

I went ahead and installed all the Microsoft apps, keeping Contacts and Outlook as before, but use Google Mail for anything new to do with my new Android life. I SO MUCH prefer Outlook to Google Mail and Calendar. Using my Icon was a smoother experience than the rather disjointed feeling on my Pixel 2, but I really am enjoying the speed of the Pixel, and the bare bones Android system. I used the Microsoft Launcher, but didn't try to imitate a Windows Phone look. I love how the launcher alphabetizes the apps, instead of leaving them an unorganized Android mess, and you get the Bing wallpaper of the day.

One thing I noticed in reading the forums on Android Central was how much people either hated on Microsoft for forcing them off their Windows Phones, or at the end of their posts saying "I miss my Windows Phone ..."

can't agree more

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel