MS and Cortana publicity

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Last night MS and a cyclist did a stunt on the Thames in London, they built a large Cortana double circle and had a cyclist do a loop the loop inside it, all done on a barge in the river.

My colleague had mentioned he would be working down there on his motorbike but didn't know what it was about, he had glimpsed the Cortana earlier as he rode past and thought it was supposed to be the Moon.

MS and Cortana got some very good publicity because it was carried as a story on the BBC's breakfast show.

And for the record my colleague is also a WP user, he has an HTC 8X and he also lives in South London (Seems to be the hotspot for WP users in the UK going by how many of us are on here) but hasn't updated his phone to 8.1 yet.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see the stunt or know about it until I looked on WC this morning.

You friend will need to update to WP8.1 Update 1 to use Cortana which means DP.

That's probably the only downside to this whole stunt. The Cortana isn't available on all WP yet.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That is how I have Cortana on my 1520, yes it's a shame MS are hog tied by carriers and I hope that changes with W10.

I showed him Cortana after I got it last week and he will be updating but it does take him a bit of time to get round to things.

But people will be going to the shops in the UK and buying Cortana enabled phones like the 735/830/930 and as I said in another thread I hope there are plenty in the shops for them to buy, if MS keep on advertising in the UK I could see them getting 15% or more market share.

The shame is I was working on the other side of the river by the Tate Modern and could easily popped along and seen it if I had known what it was about.

Last edited:

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Fellow South Londoner here! I agree it would have been nice to have known about the event. I know they were giving free tickets away but people could have watched from further away.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thing is they still have older phones kicking around so that's why it might not have been the best idea. You also can't fully blame carriers this time. Update 1 was released to the L930 but hasn't made an appearance on anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty