MS band U.S, apple watch 9countries.

vineet_vpns12

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
???? India has local Cortana and you do not have to change your region, "only" language setting (English India) and speech English UK. See below for settings.http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vailable/1b94c48b-20a4-483f-8aee-3fde582aecd4

Wanted to say the same, typed mistakenly , but yea, India dont have it, unless u change the language to u.k eng, but I don't consider it as a pure Indian, as in china the set everything of Chinese.... So v are still adjusting.
Like Dutch France Italy have local settings for local Cortana, but some still adjusting with other countries language.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
What about the Surface line of products(well pro and RT)? How many countries it has been selling in since its launch? I bet not many. I waited and waited for them to launch pro, pro 2, pro3 nothing and finally settled for HP. Ok there could be a perfect reasoning behind this decision but still, brand surface isn't known from where I am. (Similarly the Xbox music subscription, Xbox video)
Right now in India all I see them is promoting lumia 535, what about rest of the phones? 6xx, 73x and 830 and 930 are completely unheard of. At least when the x20 series was launched, I saw people with 720s,820s,especially 520s and 920s. But now nothing. I don't know what is up with companies(US) limiting their distribution, especially Microsoft, which in my opinion cannot afford to. I had convinced my friend to buy a lumia, a 535, but with the touch screen issues and what not, he changed his decision (since it was his first time buying a smartphone.) I know there are many first time users or fed up android users who want to try out windows/Microsoft but because of high influence by android and ios and so many other options, one simply forgets/ignores Nokia/Microsoft. Heck, even today a guy asked me why I purchased windows phone, my reply, I wanted something different, beautiful and so on.. He nodded and moved on. Perception! Perception! Perception! Until this is changed, nothing is going to benefit Microsoft.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
MS plans or intentions are all well & good if you're a market leader, they are not but continue to act and make decisions like they are. All the while they are losing market share & more importantly "MIND SHARE" Even if it is a demo platform, etc. they need to get it in as many consumers hands as possible to keep MS & their products relevant with consumers. I just don't know how a mutli-national, multi-billion dollar company does not understand this. They can have all the best products but if no-one can buy them & you don't have consumers mind share it doesn't matter in the least how great your product is, it will fail. I guess when you're so used to be the market leader and doing things a certain way it's hard to change the culture of such a large corporation. They need to learn fast or they will need to retreat to the enterprise sector like IBM.....

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys get real. MS cant keep the band in stock in the US. Even if they launched it globally it wouldn't be available

If Microsoft wanted to then they could produce it on the scale they did with the Surface RT, the difference is that where people didn't want the Surface RT they do want the Band. Even MJF stated that the lack of stock for the Band is Microsoft being overly cautious after the Surface write down, which is ridiculous as people actually want to buy it.

Last edited:

vineet_vpns12

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
What about the Surface line of products(well pro and RT)? How many countries it has been selling in since its launch? I bet not many. I waited and waited for them to launch pro, pro 2, pro3 nothing and finally settled for HP. Ok there could be a perfect reasoning behind this decision but still, brand surface isn't known from where I am. (Similarly the Xbox music subscription, Xbox video)
Right now in India all I see them is promoting lumia 535, what about rest of the phones? 6xx, 73x and 830 and 930 are completely unheard of. At least when the x20 series was launched, I saw people with 720s,820s,especially 520s and 920s. But now nothing. I don't know what is up with companies(US) limiting their distribution, especially Microsoft, which in my opinion cannot afford to. I had convinced my friend to buy a lumia, a 535, but with the touch screen issues and what not, he changed his decision (since it was his first time buying a smartphone.) I know there are many first time users or fed up android users who want to try out windows/Microsoft but because of high influence by android and ios and so many other options, one simply forgets/ignores Nokia/Microsoft. Heck, even today a guy asked me why I purchased windows phone, my reply, I wanted something different, beautiful and so on.. He nodded and moved on. Perception! Perception! Perception! Until this is changed, nothing is going to benefit Microsoft.

+1lakh bhai.

SRK62

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
MS and Apple and all companies from US and all profits goes to US. There is no competition between them. So why do you argue.
After last customer choice is last.
Nothing to do anything...

vineet_vpns12

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I even read somewhere, that shopkeepers aren't selling Lumia due to their or market reason,
But now consumer wanna buy band, Estore/retailer store wanna buy/sell but MS is not willing to sell.

vineet_vpns12

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
MS and Apple and all companies from US and all profits goes to US. There is no competition between them. So why do you argue.
After last customer choice is last.
Nothing to do anything...

Yeah! They all are like brothers , that's y they files patent infringement cases against one another in the court. Correct mate correct.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
It would seem you're ignorant of the situation and attacking facts as assumptions without actually learning anything about the topic. It's been discussed and explained since shortly after the Band launched that the idea was to present the Band as a means of showing off the sensor tech Microsoft has. It's been brought up multiple times in articles on Windows Central. Anyone who even somewhat keeps tabs on the Band can figure this out really easily.

Lol, attacking? Who's attacking. I simply stated that just because its been written on a trade publication, doesn't make it true. Do you believe what WinCent reports to be alway correct and without speculation or conjecture? So many of these type of publications go off the PRWire and other press releases, including those written by other interested publications, that one source of story can quickly be construed as multiple sources as they site each other.

If that makes me ignorant on the subject and can't keep a tab on what's going on with Band, even though I wear one every day for nearly 3 months and participate on this forum, so be it. Clearly, I seem to have hit your nerve or sensitive spot....

On that middle part, I think there is a real level of disagreement here. Google manages to make its products work within a multi-manufacturer market because Google doesn't make the devices it slaps the "Nexus" tag on (instead letting several companies take turns making the devices). Apple has made itself a one-manufacturer ecosystem. Microsoft's holding 90%+ of the Windows Phone market because of the level of commitment to the ecosystem and the exclusive firmware features. The Surface has been the only true hybrid Windows device to experience widespread success, with everything else being from established brands from before Microsoft entered the game--and even those devices are convertible laptops, as opposed to true hybrid devices like the Surface.

Have you forgotten about Motorola purchase? The very same unit they just dumped. Google tried to be a HW developer and decided against it - cut its loss short and moved on.

MS is holding onto 90% of WinPh because Ballmer bought it for some unknown reason. Nokia was happy to get paid to get rid of a sinking ship.

As for Surface, its hybrid that cost too much for simple tablet use and not quite sure what can it do, in terms of real computing compared to full laptops. So I guess its a tweener product that finds appeal for small percentage of people. Just look at the sales and market share. Yes its doubled since Surface Pro 3, but it when from bleak to still very bad. Why compete with your WinOS vendors? Which bring me to your last statement....

When a company makes the hardware and controls the ecosystem, it's logically difficult for competition to thrive. Unless the ecosystem developer's hardware is niche or generally crap, it will almost always make more sense to buy the comparably capable, comparably priced hardware from the company who knows the software better than anyone else. That's why it would be tough for the Band to both be a cost-effective, high-quality device, yet not seriously hurt the competition. If the FitBit Surge was to carry the same sensor tech as the Band, why would you pay $250 for a FitBit using the same tech as a $200 Band when the tech is FROM the Band manufacturer?

Competitor is exactly the wrong way to look at it. Think of it as you own the core of the ecosystem and all the other companies can build hooks and extension of the core. To say Band cannot be cost effective and have high quality, in my opinion, is ridiculous statement.

If the original premise is to license IP and sell service, then you want to have a high quality cost effect reference model to set standard and build off of. The fact the MS released Band SDK is a step in the right direction but it seems to have not gone deep enough to allow sensor level access by the developer (based on my non-aware reading). It can only read what MS provides and not have direct interaction with the sensors.

The wearable space is getting extremely crowded so if the strategy is to provide IP and service for all the other gadget makers, MS is way behind. The market is quite fractured and so far the only real consolidator is Apple's Health app. Besides Band, and HTC's just announced device, who else uses and syncs with MS Health mobile app? No one.

Right now, Apple Health app is the only app that can take fitness bands, calories from MFP and alike, body composition from Withings, iHealth, Qardio scales and show it all integrated in a single app/screen. Unfortunately, Band Health does not support Apple Health app (nor is it likely to do so).

So is there a strategy for licensing IP and selling service? Or is it just demo concept - the whole thing...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft developed the band as a "DEMO" project in order to demo what their health services could do, which is what they are really trying to sell. You people as consumers only see the consumer side. Microsoft wants people to lease their patents on the technology in the band in order to produce fitness bands with Microsoft services. It's the services Microsoft is selling.

As a Demo product, it wasn't marketed and wasn't really expected to sell except as a proof of concept. It was a surprise to Microsoft how well it has done, and they have since ramped up production and set up to begin distributing in bulk through their retail partners, like Best Buy.

I would expect a global launch to be coming soon as well. They did the band as a way to create the patents to license the technology out initially. That part is still happening as well.

For more interesting information, see the following.
How the Microsoft Band will beat Apple's Watch | Windows Central

Most of us are aware of that, however OEM support has been lacklustre for windows phone and by the time they get around to "supporting" windows phone.. Apple will have the market pretty sown up in terms of Mindshare.

The band is the only device that is feature rich for all users...

I so want to pick up a fitbit surge but... only two features (at most 3) out of everything is only supported ...:grincry:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...t_SupportedDevices_Windows.pdf&token=6wJjkE9P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss