Multimedia Messaging Not Working

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm not sure how this isn't an official story or post. Apparently, any sort of group messaging service (Viber, Voxer, etc.) completely screws up the Windows Phone 8 software. I cannot receive picture messages at all, but I can send them. And I cannot receive a group text, but I can send them.

I have the Lumia 920, and I hard reset my phone, it bricked, so I got a brand new one. First, I thought this issue was just with Viber. I installed Voxer to test this theory. The first day (yesterday) my multimedia messaging worked fine. Today, it doesn't work again. Really sick of this and not sure how these apps are making it past the developers if they completely screw up the phone's software.

Anyone else having this issue? My brother has a Lumia 822 and has the same problem.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Who is your service provider? Have you configured your MMS APNs correctly? Before anyone can help, we need to know at least those things. If you're having issues with MMS it's more than likely a carrier issue, not a WP issue.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
While I have a Lumia 920 which is AT&T, but my brother has a Lumia 822 which is Verizon. Two different carriers, same issue. And I already tried going through AT&T but they just told me it's probably a messaging app messing up the settings.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
My other question is what is your service like? If you're below two bars, you're not going to be sending any picture messages. Also, can you confirm that it is the App? Did it work after you hard reset your phone? Have you contacted your carriers to make sure that your MMS APNs are correctly configured?

Also, is your mobile data on. You can't send MMS without mobile data being on.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have LTE come on now. And yes I said I've contacted AT&T I've been extremely thorough. They said that everything is setup fine that it is probably a messaging app screwing up the settings. This process has been going on for awhile now. I just hard reset my phone again and everything is working fine for now but we shall see.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Right now, here is what I am facing. I can send pictures, group texts, and maybe contacts (haven't tried recently) but I cannot receive pictures, group texts, and contacts. I initially talked to AT&T support, and they said that it is probably a messaging app that is screwing up my settings.

I realized that I had downloaded Viber whenever I went on a mission trip for a week, and so I deleted this app. The issues still remained, but I didn't want to hard reset yet b/c I had a lot of game save data. This was back in March.

Finally, on July 3rd, I hard reset my phone to see if the issue would be fixed. My phone bricked, so I went in on the 4th and they gave me a new phone. After getting the new phone, everything worked fine at first. Then on the 5th, the same issue with not being able to receive multimedia messages started happening again. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. So I hard reset again. It worked fine for the rest of the day. Then on the 6th, the same issues started happening, where it work part of the time and not work part of the time. I took it in to an AT&T support center, they tried some stuff, hard reset, and it bricked. So I got yet another Lumia 920. 3rd one in 3 days.

Later that night, I talked with AT&T support for an hour and a half. I noticed that the boxes on my MMS APN settings were all blank, so I figured I should try to get the correct ones. After them taking FOREVER, I finally got the correct MMS APN settings. Here are the settings I was given for my Nokia Lumia 920.

APN: wap.cingular
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
WAP gateway (URL): http://wireless.cingular.com
WAP gateway port: 80
MMSC (URL): http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC port: 80
Maximum MMS Size:

I entered this settings, rebooted my phone, and this caused a brand new issue. I could not send any type of MMS message, and whenever someone would send me a picture, it would just pop up as "get media content now" but it would not download (I tried with both wifi and LTE).

So I deleted the MMS APN settings that were entered, and all the boxes were blank again. The AT&T tech person said they wanted to disconnect and reconnect me to the cell tower to see if that would fix anything. After all that was done, everything worked perfectly.

But guess what happened today, the 7th? You guessed it. I can't receive any multimedia messages again. I absolutely refuse to hard reset my phone again. I use it for work and it's a pain to re-download contacts, apps, songs, etc every other day. Please someone help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss