My 1520.3 bit the dust

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Only a month old but getting replaced.

I don't know if it originally had the often mentioned issue of swipes taken as taps, but if it did it wasn't enough to notice.

The phone was great except for slightly weak cellular signal strength compared to my prior 925 that my wife is using now. I figured that the 925 might be using the metal surround to improve reception.

Then it started rebooting. Not a lot, maybe once a week, no noticeable pattern.

Last Saturday, I decided to use Here Drive over the car's Bluetooth because Here has traffic info and my car's factory nav doesn't. I glanced at the route before I started but Here kept giving different voice commands than the route it showed before I started. So I turned it off. I realized later that the "wrong" instructions were as if it forgot about the construction and trying to send us the "normal" way. So maybe it couldn't get traffic info on the go although I don't know why it would abandon a preplanned route in that situation.

Yesterday or the day before, someone started a thread to post benchmarks. I downloaded the app and ran it. I thought it was strange that it had a rolling dark band on the display but other members' screen caps showed the bar so that wasn't a problem. But as soon as the benchmark ended (with the expected outstanding 1520 scores), things started going haywire. At first I wondered if the app had tripped over some previously unnoticed Windows flaw that corrupted Windows files. The phone would alternate between not responding to any touch to acting like there were totally random touch, swipes, taps even while just sitting. Programs would start randomly, etc.. The resolution would change from normal to magnified. Sometimes the capacitance buttons would work sometimes not. Same with the side buttons. Some core things were still working. I could see time being updated and no matter how bad things got it would still switch from portrait to landscape if I picked it up and rotated it.

I did a soft reset and then deleted the benchmark app the very first thing. I then did another soft reset and was shocked to see that the benchmark I had uninstalled popped up running when the phone fired up and this time the touch screen was dead and so I had to track down the instructions for a hard reset for WP8.1.1 with the side buttons.

The hard reset worked but the touch screen and buttons were still acting crazy or unresponsive much of the time. No apparent reason for when that would happen.

I called (actually chat to have a record) the place I bought it from and they said to send it back for a replacement but said I could try the Nokia Recovery tool if I wanted (I brought it up not them because I would prefer not being without a 1520 for a while). They said fine and if it bricked the phone they would still take it back since I had reported the problem prior.

The latest recovery tool kept saying it could not read the phone, even when it was not acting up and when I could access the phone files via Windows Explorer. I had to restart and retry at least a dozen times before it recognized the phone. Finally it recognized it and offered to reinstall the version number for Cyan which was what was on the phone now. No mention of OS version.

It ran a while and then said it failed with a 80131500 code. It offered to recover (isn't that what I was there for?) and if I canceled the phone may be dead. Tough choice.

I went thru numerous attempts with it again saying there isn't any phone but eventually it worked. And it rolled the phone back to WP8.1 I then did a restore and then a soft reset.

Unfortunately the phone still has the same symptoms. I may post videos taken with my backup L635 later. So back it goes.

I decided to run a test app I had and ran it while the phone was working. Everything checked out EXCEPT the compass was wacked. Sometimes it would just very slowly spin (more than a minute per revolution) and when it wasn't moving it would point various directions although more often far West from true North. I have no idea when that started or if its related to the other problems.

Not sure why to post other than to ask if anyone else had anything like this happen and if they ever found out what had failed.

My best guess (other than some NSA hack failing) is the benchmark overheated some marginal component even though the phone never felt hot during the benchmark.

Even after getting a replacement, I will still be bothered by the fact that an app I uninstalled and then did a soft reset fired up and ran immediately after the reset. It did NOT show up in the app list. I hope its not still in there somewhere after the hard reset and Nokia Recovery tool.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you had so many things go bad all at once. ☹

Hopefully your new device won't have any of those bugs.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The replacement is on the way and they will issue me a refund for the bad phone when they get it. I will be dropping it off at UPS later today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss