My biggest issue with Copilot+ isn't Windows Recall, it's that Microsoft is ignoring millions of Windows users

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
GPUs have to be coded using OpenCL or CUDA (NVIDIA only) for compute type of operations. I'm assuming the NPU based code needs to be ported to a GPU supported language. This will take time.

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
My biggest issue with Copilot+ isn't Windows Recall, it's that Microsoft is ignoring millions of Windows users

I'm ok with that since I'm one of the ones "left behind". :)

In any case, this is the new Microsoft trend.

I mean Win 10 ran on anything. It even installed fine on an old IBM ThinkPad 240 from 2003.

Win 11 brought seemingly arbitrary restrictions that even left out its own hardware. A lot of people got nailed on that one - it's why Win 11 adoption is still barely 27% two years after its initial release.

Win11 + Copilot+ adds even more restrictions and is ARM only - which is bizarre since Microsoft has tried Windows on ARM before and it failed badly, and worse kind of dissed all the people who bought Intel Ultra series CPU based devices only to find that even though it has an NPU, it's 1/4 the horsepower needed.

Add to that Microsoft growing trend of forcing features like Windows Backup on users and turning it on by default in order to try and game you into buying more storage... and ignoring user complaints when they arbitrarily remove features like pinning the taskbar to the sides.

Well...

Maybe being left behind is a blessing here.

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Most of CoPilot+ is gimmicks. Recall on paper looked useful but otherwise I can't say I care.

With CoPilot+ PCs the draw is ARM, not gimmicky AI.
The problem is that Microsoft is quite aware that ARM based efficient machines are by themselves not nearly enough reason to move the vast majority of customers to upgrade or even switch from traditional x86 machines.

The reason is that although the most recent Intel core ultra machines or AMD equivalents are not as efficient as their ARM counterparts, they are still very good machines, more than enough for your typical user. Under regular use, they actually run very cool and quiet. Most users are not benchmarking Geekbench or Cinebench 24/7. They are just using Office, email, some specialized software like Photoshop or Visual studio and the web in general. And most users really do not need the so-called 'all day' battery life. How many people actually use their machines for >8 hrs everyday without a power outlet nearby?

This is the real reason Microsoft is artificially limiting these software features to the so-called Copilot+ PCs. Something you can't get on ANY other existing machine on the market, no matter how powerful it is. Even if it's a desktop with 'unlimited' power.

I won't be surprised if even the current Intel core ultra machines on the market can run Windows Recall very well. But Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Qualcomm all want us to 'upgrade' anyway, just to access these AI software features.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nvidia is already in the ARM 'Game' with Tegra but it's nowhere near as capable yet in the desktop space. AMD is also is working on ARM SOCs. The only corp missing in action in this space is Intel and given their sheer laziness in innovating (which allowed Zen to slap them silly and out of their greedy complacency) they will miss the boat on this as well.

Back to co-pilot, It's probably released to a limited number because it has a major design flaw. Data is stored unencrypted when the laptop is being used. It may have been done for performance reasons but it does leave a major risk if a zero day exploit is able to obtain this data.

Given may regions have fibre connections of 1 gigabit simultaneous (download and upload), syphoning data wouldn't take too long. Albeit it would leave a massive dump of a log in terms of packets but the average user who uses ISP routers with the pre-defined password won't know that.

If Microsoft gets their fingers out of their ears and allows data to be encrypted when stored when the device is in use, they can leverage the GPUs to run decryption cycles although that would decrease battery life somewhat. But given laptops already come with embedded GPUs, they can use these to run decryption cycles and use the NPU for processing.

FraJa

Jun 30, 2024
Visit site
I read a lot of false, or bad faith, or maybe uniformed opinions.

Recall ca also run on PCs with GPU, the model is not specific to ARM, and there have been quite a few signs in the telemetry viewer about AI features on x64 PCs. Also, their finger are not involved.. They have the onnx format which is designed to run everywhere... It seems indeed they are pushing for the ARM platform...

Look at all the years since Nadella is CIO... Microsoft has plenty of new products that sells well, because they are good... putting profit over user experience... once again, it is a big company, but is also note 1999 Microsoft by far... they are very involved in open source, with no agenda, those communities are nice... also many C-levels are now mostly good, or even famous engineers, this is also interesting as this is clearly a choice... not perfect either, but from all the GAFAM, especially the fruit one whish is acting every day more dishonest and more obsessed by money than ever... They have like 10 highly overpriced products, most of them have better alternatives... they are not likable at all. Are really conservative (they are supposed to innovate but when do they do that ??) Hopefully, many people also realized that anything they say must be interpreted as most of it is exaggerated, etc...
By far, also, telemetry is not spying... why do people believe in such poorly informed/paranoid statements... you can deactivate it, or look at what's going on, this is interesting, but they aren't spying anyone, this isn't what telemetry is, at all. Then, telemetry is is in ios, macos, there are many places where they mention it. It's everywhere else, Ubuntu, apps, it's a neat way to acquire information ovver perf etc. and optimize complex systems (or as I have the Canary build, they sometimes do experiments, like testing some AI component perfs etc. nothing of this is hidden or not clearly explained on MS website, in Windows... Copilot does not spy either... And it seems indeed, and that's strange, given the amount of cybersecurity tools they have created... (they are Garner Leader in cybersecurity and various data related topics...) that the encryption has such issues it's a bit disappointing but once again, files are local, this is not spying... The feature makes sense, I believe one way AI can help with PCs first then in general is at being your "always on assistant" and help for some tasks. Not spying... so it's a start...

In some typical Intel twist they have finally a SOC that has up to 16 hours of battery life and powerful... So this is interesting. When desktops SOCs and a nvidia GPU they will indeed crush many things.. the Xeon are already equipped with AI accelerators, there are amazing servers those days...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FraJa