My Day With My Lumia 900

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
NOTE-Lengthy. Bear with me.

Here's a typical day with my phone. I just want to point out a particular part of my day and how I put the phone to use. I work from home a lot as my friend's business is just starting to take off. I'm a firearms instructor and we've just gained a bunch of hi-profile investors and contracts, so there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff to be done. Most of the day I'm home, but here's a typical day:

I'm up in the morning. As I pointed out in another post, I don't own a pc. I do everything on my Lumia. I check my email, check out the WPCentral boards, read some CNet/Phonearena/Phonedog/Gizmodo articles. I plug the phone back in and let it charge while I do some things around the house. Nothing special so far.

Around noon, I unplug my phone and connect up my Sony HBH-970 BT stereo headset. The HBH-980 That Replaced Mine

I put on my playlist that I created in Zune. 126 tracks to be precise ranging in length from 3-9 minute tracks. Hey, I like extended and album versions. I grab my shades, and I walk 1.4 miles to the shopping area where I grab lunch. Not gonna discuss my BT experience again. I did that HERE.

First song comes on. Mystikal's "The New Guy" from the movie of the same name. I walk to my location. Takes about 20 minutes at a good pace. Occasionally, I'll get something that comes through that reads out. I respond or ignore.

(Lionel Richie's "Endless Love" just came on)

I get to where I'm eating lunch. Today, it's Subway. I'll sit down and eat and surf on my phone the entire time in between bites. I'm in an LTE area (makes a difference as to the point of my story). Zune is still playing. Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" is playing now. A little annoyed by the pauses between tracks or some tracks not playing 100% to completion. Not so sure why that is.

So, I'm doing a lot of what I did when I first woke up. Reading tech articles, answering emails, researching some firearms, looking for a 150cc Scooter (hey, gas crunch going on), posting to Facebook/Twitter/MSN thanks to the people hub, answering texts here and there, maybe a phone call, browsing the web and keeping up with WPCentral - SHAMELESS PLUG. Bottom line, the phone's screen is on the entire time I'm doing this.

(Information Society's "Hack One" just popped on followed by Shirley Bassey's "Big Spender".)

I finish up and head back home. I stop by 7-11 on the way and grab a couple of cans of Dr. Pepper (cans taste better in my opinion. No light affecting the carbonation, but that's a discussion for another time). Maybe another 20-25 to walk back home. What are at? Around 2.5 hours in? James Brown's "Super Bad Parts 1 & 2" are on.

I get home. I do some random stuff around the house. Maybe some dishes, play a little Skyrim, and study to get my RSO Certification (Range Safety Officer for the gun range). Still rocking the headset until it dies at the 4 hour mark. They are 3 years old after all. Meanwhile, the phone is still at 33% battery life, even after the heavy usage.

My point in sharing this is that the entire time, other than the questionable Zune performance, the phone was flawless. Battery seems exemplary even while being on LTE that entire time. No lagging or slowdowns. Going from app to app was fluid and fast. My screens were left off at where I departed them and I resumed them as soon as I completed another task. This is just how I expect the phone to work. I know a LOT of you have your individual items with the device, but I'm having a GREAT experience. I have never been able to go that hard with another phone that I've owned. I tried it with the iPhone 3GS once. I took it from here to California and I just mainly used that to play a few games and as an MP3 player. I was really shocked that I only got 5 hours total and it was DEAD. I listened to music on the flight only (direct to LA from FL) and I played the games half @$$ed while at the airport. I sleep on the plane with my headphones on. It just wasn't the same.

If the phone isn't for you, exchange it. I know many of you are coming up on the 30 days. It's a better option for you than constantly saying what iOS/Android has that it doesn't. Come back when some of those features, if ever, are added. The camera not working out for you? TO ME, there's 2 schools of thought here: 1-sure, the camera may have some issues, but also 2-some people need a little skill in taking photos with a smartphone. Sorry, it's true. Some people can have a $4000 dSLR and blame the camera on their bad pictures. I'm no pro, but I understand basics of photography and worked for Olympus support for 2 years. I'm still amazed at what goes on with people and pictures. But I digress....

Thanks for reading. I love the phone. Some of you may feel differently, but I think it's a good product and with all of the negativity that gets shared sometimes, I just feel the need to share some good. If you read through this whole thing, thanks for the time spent.

(ooh, Debbie Deb's "Lookout Weekend" and David Bowie's "Fashion" are on) ;)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the cans, and also like that your tastes in music seem about as eclectic as mine. Also agree about people going back to android or IOS until WP has what they're looking for. If ever. I personally am happy with my HD7 apart from battery life. It MAYBE would've made it 1? hours of your day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo