My experience with the Anniversary update (a few helpful tips if something isn't working)

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
So I upgraded 2 computers (one PC, one Laptop) and a Windows Mobile device.

PC:
With PC I have a weird issue with Notifications & actions setting (I can't change it because it's "Managed by my organization").
It used to work when I updated my PC, but the next day they were greyed out.
So yesterday I contacted with Windows 10 support and gave MS technician a remote control of my PC. After about an hour, he fixed the issue. Unfortunately the issue's back, but I remember the thing he did (I also later found it in Reddit):

Type "Edit Group Policy" into search and open the Local Group Policy Editor.
Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Notifications
You should see 8 different settings in a 'State' of 'Not configured'
One by one, go through by double-clicking each item and toggle it to 'enabled' and hit OK.
Then go through all 8 settings again and set it back to 'Not configured' the same way.
You should now be able to search the new settings app for notifications settings and configure them, nothing should be greyed out or anything.
No, I don't know why or how this happens/happened lol.
(Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f3tb7/some_settings_are_managed_by_your_organization/)

He didn't do exactly the same thing, but this one fixed the issue... For a few hours. So I have no idea, why is this happening.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Laptop:
With laptop I had a bit bigger issue. The Anniversary Update couldn't be installed.
I tried installing it 2 times with the default "Check for updates" function in Windows.
Then I tried once with Windows upgrade assistant (not sure if this is the right name, but you can get it here - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=823759 ) and of course it didn't work out.
Every time the process got stuck at around 85%. Then the PC rebooted and it started restoring the previous version of Windows.
I couldn't find any issues (it didn't show any errors, I also ran the Windows Update troubleshooter . It showed that it had fixed one issue. But still didn't work and also after running it, laptop didn't find any updates anymore when I checked (but I clearly was on build 1511).
So when I had the chat with MS technician I also asked a question about this issue and he sent me an e-mail with a guide on "How to Ensure a Smooth Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update" (I won't give all the things it said you should do, but if anyone needs, I could paste it).
So I did some of the things:
  • Disabled my antivirus
  • Checked if my machine name is simple with no periods or hyphens or dashes. (it also said to avoid using names such as "System" or Account or Administrator for Machine)
  • Restarted my laptop a few times
  • Unplugged my wireless mouse (didn't need it since laptop already has a built-in one)
  • Performed a clean boot (more about that here -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135)
  • Launched the Windows Upgrade Assistant. When it was done, I turned off the Wi-Fi (the guide recommended it) and clicked the restart button)

So after a while my laptop turned on, asked the stuff which Windows asks by default (privacy settings etc.) and voila. It was running the Anniversary update and has less issues than my PC (can't stand that organization bug)
______________________________________________________________________________________________
My phone (Lumia 930) (it's on Release Preview ring):
I noticed that either it's my excitement or the new update that drains my battery much faster.
Found out that Cortana is now available worldwide (YES!).
Also found out that system sound is kinda.. Sorry for the swearing, but ****ed up. When I unlocked/locked my found the sound was in super-low quality, also when someone called me, it felt like it's in low quality aswell.
I also like the new emojis.

So this is my experience. Hopefully it went better for other people! If it didn't, I hope I helped someone out there with their issues.

UPDATE: Today I turned on my PC and saw that notification center showed a load of notifications. I opened it and understood that those were coming from my phone. So I guess it's fixed now. I didn't even do a thing. What is this sorcery?

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
for your phone, just check for updates again for both OS and apps
For battery drain, check what is draining the battery
You can't raise ringer volume?

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Phone is running build 14393.5 (I just checked for updates and it didn't find any)
No, I can change the volume, but some sounds sound like they are low quality (imagine a crappy wannabe chinese iPhone sound quality. Ok. Maybe not that bad, but still it's not good)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Phone is running build 14393.5 (I just checked for updates and it didn't find any)
No, I can change the volume, but some sounds sound like they are low quality (imagine a crappy wannabe chinese iPhone sound quality. Ok. Maybe not that bad, but still it's not good)

and if you change those sounds to some other tone? for those that you can change?

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Anniversary update for Mobile has no issue so far, except for the sudden restarting of phone when using some apps (such as Office Lens, Facebook Beta, Messenger Beta, etc.)

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Anniversary update made my secondary backup hdd disappear and appear a unallocated in partition manager !

But it completely recognised and useable in win 8.1 figure that out, i have no idea how this kind of super buggy update can be forced on users!

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
HydroOxygen;3533274[B said:
My phone (Lumia 930) (it's on Release Preview ring):[/B]
Found out that Cortana is now available worldwide (YES!).
Unfortunately, Cortana is not available worldwide.

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Anniversary update for Mobile has no issue so far, except for the sudden restarting of phone when using some apps (such as Office Lens, Facebook Beta, Messenger Beta, etc.)

I haven't encountered such a problem o__O. The only problem with restarting on phone is that it likes to restart randomly (99% usually when it's connected to Wi-Fi)

Last edited:

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Anniversary update made my secondary backup hdd disappear and appear a unallocated in partition manager !

But it completely recognised and useable in win 8.1 figure that out, i have no idea how this kind of super buggy update can be forced on users!

Well. I would clearly get in contact with Windows technician (easiest way to do that is through built-in app called Contact Support). Or I would try to rolling-back (with restore points or a backup).. or uninstall the update. Tho uninstalling it might not help :/

Last edited:

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, Cortana is not available worldwide.

Well. I believe it is.. If not everywhere then in almost every country where Windows 10 is supported.
You can enable Cortana by clicking on the search (on PC it's by default on the taskbar or just open start and type something, on phone it's the right button). Then open the hamburger menu. In the menu you should be able to open settings (I am unsure if this is 100% correct. I am making this with the help of my memory :p :D). Then in those settings you should be able to choose Language. Choose in which language you would like to speak with Cortana and.. I guess you had to accept something and then it showed up. GL.

Last edited:

floridagman

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Would like to see that guide. Windows update disabled my start menu and Cortana. Took a while to get it fixed, but lost all shortcuts that were on start menu (I probably had too many anyway). Microsoft tech support I had wasn't that good. His suggestion for not having it happen again was basically wait a couple of months, re-enable updates, and hope that they've fixed it.

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
This is what they sent me.

Thanks for contacting Answer Desk.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is fast approaching. To ensure users experience a smooth upgrade, here are some things you can do.
• Disable your Antivirus utility temporarily before attempting the upgrade. Click the respective link for the Antivirus utility you are running. Please remember to re-enable your Antivirus after successfully upgrade.
- Norton - right click Norton in the Notification Area then click Disable Antivirus - McAfee - ESET NOD32 - Kaspersky - Avast - AVG - Trend Micro - Bitdefender - Webroot Secure Anywhere - F-Secure - Panda - Comodo
• Make sure your machine name is simple no periods or hyphens or dashes. Avoid using names such as "System" or Account or Administrator for your Machine.
• Restart a few times then try again.
Click Start > Power Options > Restart
• Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
Press Windows key + X > click Device Manager > expand Memory technology devices. Right click SD Controllers, then click uninstall. If there is more than one, right click each, then click Uninstall.
Perform a clean boot, restart then try again. Refer to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumb drive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.

• If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
There are multiple ways to do this, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable if you are connected to a wireless network. If you are connected to a wireless network, you can manually disable Wi-Fi by turning off the Wireless switch on your laptop.
Another way that is even easier, is to open Action Center - press Windows key + A then click Airplane Mode. This will disable all network technologies. Proceed with the upgrade.
If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
I hope that all of the things that I gave make help.
Come back if you need more help. There’s help here too:
Microsoft community – To find answers for questions others have asked (yours might be similar), or to ask a new one.
Microsoft Support site – For step-by-step instructions and getting started info.
Thanks to that support guy. Can't remember his name tho.

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Im missing the lockscreen images. It justs turns up blank

I presume that you have already tried to change the images.
I can't really suggest anything else if that didn't work. So.. Contact support/Refresh Windows (by reinstalling it and keeping the files)/Uninstall the update. Can't think of anything else. Tbh I am planning to refresh Windows on my PC because I don't like the idea of uninstalling an update (which is THAT big) and I still encounter the problem of 'Some settings are managed by your organization'.

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: Today I turned on my PC and saw that notification center showed a load of notifications. I opened it and understood that those were coming from my phone. So I guess it's fixed now. I didn't even do a thing. What is this sorcery?
So for now I only have the low quality notification sound bug on my phone. If it won't get magically fixed like this bug on PC, then I will just do a hard-reset since I planned to do it when Annicersary update is released WW anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb