My first month on Windows Phone: some impressions.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
It's been a month since I purchased a Windows Phone handset for the first time ever. I've commented about how satisfied I am in other posts but I'd like to share some impressions and thoughts in a more detailed post. This should not be taken as criticism - in most cases I'm just pointing out some differences for those newbies like me who have mastered Android and are a bit lost/puzzled/amazed.

First of all, the app gap is real. Not that this is breaking news to anyone, but I'm not talking only about the lack of some of the most popular apps present in other systems but also about the lack of quality alternatives (Google Plus comes to mind). Even worse, I've been looking for recommended apps in old articles and some of the are no longer available. Not to mention that the Facebook app is published by Microsoft, not Facebook. And we all know how inferior it is. Yes, this could change in the future but the app gap will never disappear. I couldn't care any less about it and I knew about this before buying my Lumia, but I had to mention it.

Second, I'm surprised that some of the hot topics in the Android world are non-existent in Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile. Jailbreaking (iOS)/rooting (Android) does not seem to have an equivalent in Windows. The file manager won't show more than a few folders which have common multimedia contents (Camera Roll, Sounds, etc.) and a few app folders. It doesn't seem like MSFT want us to have access to /Windows or /System (if they exist). Am I wrong?

Third, I couldn't find an App2SD app in the store. Isn't bulk App to SD transfer supported? I know, you can transfer one by one from the app list but 1) it's annoying and 2) not all apps can be transferred. Sure, not every Android app can be transferred but at least there are apps that show you which ones are movable. And this doesn't seem to be possible in WIndows.

Fourth , only half of all Windows Phone devices are eligible for a Windows 10 update. Granted, this happens a lot with Android. Even worse, my 2 year-old Lumia 535 (bought new, but the model is two years old) would have been forsaken by its manufacturer or by Google if it was an Android device. But it's a Lumia and it got updated to WIndows 10. The point is, Android dominates the market and manufacturers can afford leaving some devices behind. This is not ok for Windows devices. This is a small market segment, an ever-shrinking one and soon it will be considered a niche or an oddity if the situation doesn't change. Nokia came up with a compromise when the update from 7.x to 8 came: there were non-eligible devices, but Nokia released 7.8, which brought some of the WP8 features. How hard would it be for Microsoft to release Windows Phone 8.5 or WP 9 or Windows 10 Mobile Lite for 512 MB and other non-eligible devices?

Last but not least, I'm surprised by the fact that all that non-updateable device owners can do about it is rightfully cry, moan and curse about it. Being a third-world Windows user for years, I know there have been custom pirate Windows XP ISOs for older hardware with as low as 64 MB RAM. Coming from the Windows desktop (Currently I have W10 installed as my second OS but using Xubuntu as the main one) and from an Android mobile I thought there would be a lot of custom ROMs for those who can't receive an official upgrade, and even ROMs with custom GUIs a la CyanogenMod. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Feel free to comment, criticize me or point out any mistake or misconception.

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi :) I've been with windows phone since the beginning and would agree with all of your points.

I'm curious as to why you've decided to move over to windows mobile?

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi :) I've been with windows phone since the beginning and would agree with all of your points.

I'm curious as to why you've decided to move over to windows mobile?

My first smartphone was a Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman WT19a, bought in 2012. Liked it until it ran out of internal memory. No matter how many things you deleted (apps, cache, etc.) you just couldn't install anything. Then in 2014 bought a Sony XPeria M. It had 4 GB of internal memory. Cool! Well... only 2,05 GB available to the user. Hmmm, okay. But still, I reached a point where no matter how many apps I uinistalled/downgraded and how much effort I put on deleting cache and other temp files, internal memory filled up quickly. Even worse; I had 200 MB free and couldn't install a 5 MB app (!). Yes, the Lumia 535 has a mere 3 GB available to the user, but Windows apps seem to be way smaller than Android apps. Facebook for Android uses around 200 MB!

So I decided to buy a new device. And every option within my budget had lower specs than the Lumia 535. LG Leon H340 was the closest thing to a decent device. I guess Microsoft is using low price tags to attract customers. A 5-inch screen and 5mpx selfie camera is unheard of in this segment, at least here in Argentina.

I like to try new things, so after seeing a lot of Android devices and getting a bit bored I said to myself "Why not?" :)

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Martin Oscar Caballero Sartor;3460717Third said:
App2SD[/B] app in the store. Isn't bulk App to SD transfer supported? I know, you can transfer one by one from the app list but 1) it's annoying and 2) not all apps can be transferred. Sure, not every Android app can be transferred but at least there are apps that show you which ones are movable. And this doesn't seem to be possible in WIndows.
No, sadly, you have to do it one by one using the Storage manager.

On a phone with limited internal memory, I'm assuming that the fact that WhatsApp cannot be transferred to SD is a huge pain in the *** since that application can gobble up memory if used heavily. You can force WhatsApp to save images/audio/video to SD card though, but that's about it.

Not every application can be transferred and you must transfer one by one.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, you cannot jailbreak/root W10M. That is the beauty of it for most users, you don't get all the bloated virus and spam infected UIs, apps, etc.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
While not the same as apps to sd you do have the option of simply setting all new apps/photos/videos/music to just automatically go to the sd card at time of install which I believe handles new apps better than android does. Of course you must go to each of the "stock" apps in storage and move over what you can to start with but afterward you simply forget about needing to move anything further...... if it can be installed to sd it automatically is.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
While not the same as apps to sd you do have the option of simply setting all new apps/photos/videos/music to just automatically go to the sd card at time of install which I believe handles new apps better than android does. Of course you must go to each of the "stock" apps in storage and move over what you can to start with but afterward you simply forget about needing to move anything further...... if it can be installed to sd it automatically is.

Yes, you are right. In fact, I set it up as soon as I put my hands on the phone. Actually, I think I've installed some apps in the internal memory before finding the option. Byut I'm very curious and likle to explore the settings, so I found it pretty early. That's not the case with some users, though.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Really!!!....???!!!..!! ��

It is now possible to do, but why do it. The security is one of the strengths of the OS.

To answer OP, the locked down file manager is part of the security too. At least there is a still access to a file system and apps like 8zip that use it to provide a very powerful experience.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is now possible to do, but why do it. The security is one of the strengths of the OS.

To answer OP, the locked down file manager is part of the security too. At least there is a still access to a file system and apps like 8zip that use it to provide a very powerful experience.

It's possible on some models, but there isn't a whole lot going on, so we don't exactly have a boatload of improvements we can install like on iOS.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's possible on some models, but there isn't a whole lot going on, so we don't exactly have a boatload of improvements we can install like on iOS.

That is true. Someone might surprise us but why bother? The technical challenge is won, not enough people to get excited about tweaks. And with the main OS improving and being released so rapidly, what tweaks can keep up with that! On Android, where a phone may never be updated, there is a good reason to work out how to get the latest OS running on many devices.

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
That is true. Someone might surprise us but why bother? The technical challenge is won, not enough people to get excited about tweaks. And with the main OS improving and being released so rapidly, what tweaks can keep up with that! On Android, where a phone may never be updated, there is a good reason to work out how to get the latest OS running on many devices.

My first smartpone was an Android-powered Sony Ericsson WT19a Live With Walkman. Whenever I tried to use Google Sky Map or Google Maps or TurnMe Panorama I had this problem. It's solvable by editing a config file, which I think would be impossible if this happened to a Windows handset. Sometimes (with care and precise instructions and knowing what you are doing) you might want/need to access config files. Plus, this has been posible on the desltop Windows since forever (with some warning screen and other protective measures since Windows 98).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa