My first Windows phone

Nightwing11

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello to everyone. I just bought my first windows phone about a week ago, the phone being a Nokia Lumia 520. Being someone who once used the android interface, I'm not really getting to terms with windows phone ( mainly due to the lack of apps) and I hope to fix that by browsing around these forums.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Same position as you, I bought a 1520 and I am still unhappy that Google+ and Hangout are not available and possibly we will never see it. The third party options are crap.

MrVol84

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I wish we had an official app for YouTube, Google hangouts, Google drive, and Chromecast support. I use and desire those a lot but I still love my 1520! Here's to hoping that the Google/Microsoft beef comes to a halt in 2014! ;)

mirzafida

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello to everyone. I just bought my first windows phone about a week ago, the phone being a Nokia Lumia 520. Being someone who once used the android interface, I'm not really getting to terms with windows phone ( mainly due to the lack of apps) and I hope to fix that by browsing around these forums.

welcome to wpcentral!
WP have an unique and beauty UI who can make we love it for the first sight. I hope you will enjoy and found what you're looking for on this forum :)
congrats for your first Windows Phone :D

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi & Welcome Aboard ⚓ To WP Centrals forums, It's great that you joined with us here and especially the Windows OS . Being a new member I would encourage you to look around and join in and post in the many forums we have and your going to meet and make many new friends that can help and answer most questions you may have.
Good Luck.
Tip, Check out the forum Windows phone 8 "tips & tricks" for newbie's.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/230201-new-windows-phone-8-tips-tricks.html

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome. Coming from another OS it is a big change to move to WP. It is certainly not for everybody since everyone needs are different, but if it will fit your needs with apps, I'm sure you will fall in love with the OS. The google/MS beef going on is harmful to WP and google knows this. I believe they are afraid of the competition that MS can bring to the table and are attempting to keep WP down as long as they can. While I don't believe WP will take be the number 1 OS choice I do believe it can overtake iOS and take the number two spot given time.

Again welcome to WP. I got my daughter the 520 for Xmas and she loves it.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Welcome. Coming from another OS it is a big change to move to WP. It is certainly not for everybody since everyone needs are different, but if it will fit your needs with apps, I'm sure you will fall in love with the OS. The google/MS beef going on is harmful to WP and google knows this. I believe they are afraid of the competition that MS can bring to the table and are attempting to keep WP down as long as they can. While I don't believe WP will take be the number 1 OS choice I do believe it can overtake iOS and take the number two spot given time.

Again welcome to WP. I got my daughter the 520 for Xmas and she loves it.
agreed with you... I migrated from both of the most popular mobile OS and don't miss it. The only thing that would love to see in a future upgrade its the ability to upload docs files from the browser... Other than that, WP is almost perfect and much more faster than Android.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
agreed with you... I migrated from both of the most popular mobile OS and don't miss it. The only thing that would love to see in a future upgrade its the ability to upload docs files from the browser... Other than that, WP is almost perfect and much more faster than Android.

I think WP 8.1 will be another BIG turning point for WP, it will add a lot of new features and really solidify that WP is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I've been a WP8 user for a couple years now after coming from 4 generations of iPhones. I love my Nokia Lumia 920 and really love my Lumia 1020! I haven't missed the iPhone one bit... I never used Google+ or hangouts so no missing anything there. (don't even know what those are) all I know, is WP has everything I need and then some. I think the higher end Windows Phones would win you over with their features. I mean, the 41MP PureView camera in my Nokia Lumia 1020 is simply amazing! Nothing from Apple or Google even comes close! All the apps I need are here. And the OS itself is the most solid, fluid, and intuitive OS you'll ever use. Trust me, once you get used to it, you'll never look back!

So, what is Google+ and Hangouts anyway? A social platform like Facebook? *shrugs shoulders* Why would anyone need that?
Whatever it is, the HTML5 browser (IE10) on Windows phone 8 should work fine with it. Who needs an "app", when you can pin the actual mobile or desktop site right to your start screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb