My PC is still updating Windows 10 for the second day...

SJZ

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
My PC is still updating Windows 10 for the second day... The screen is black with the spinning circle. Should I continue to be "patient"?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Its your call but at more than 24 hours you would reckon that something has gone wrong.

Personally after that amount of time I would do a restart, but as said, it's up to you and you need to consider the consequences.

SJZ

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, I couldn't restart other than simply turning it off ... now it is saying "Restoring your previous version of Windows".

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
From what I can tell, that's pretty much how the W10 Anniversary Update is expected to go. At least, that's what many others are experiencing. Either time for a clean install or just wait for a bug fix from MS.

NaviGATR

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. Went to bed with it spinning. Woke up and it's still spinning. I haven't been given an option to use an older version of Windows. I don't know what to do.

I restarted and it said trying to recover the install... Then back to the spinning.

etccanf

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here. 3 laptops in the house 2 x HP and 1 x Asus. Both HPs failed to reboot after downloading the Anniversary Update - the ASUS worked fine. Ran some diagnostics on the newer HP and it rebooted OK. Took a few hours to get to that point and I'm not sure what was the tipping point. The older HP reverted to pre-update Windows 10 and booted up OK. However, it tried to load the update the next night and failed. I've reverted to the pre-update Windows 10 and it rebooted and is running OK. I guess the best thing is to just sit back and wait until Microsoft gets the update fixed.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I would disconnect everything you can (ie. USB devices beyond the essential). You could always clean install, if you can face it.

Alternatively, you could dance naked round your PC thrice widdershins whilst sacrificing a Kempston joystick to Saint Clive Sinclair, god of all home computers (and azimuth alignment screws). It couldn't hurt, right?

korab84

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded my desktop PC from Win7 to Win10, in July, then last Thursday (9/23) the Anniversary build got installed. After the update my computer was running super sluggish and things wouldn't open/run properly: I couldn't open the Start menu, type anything on the search mar, couldn't open the Settings portion...nothing. I ended up reinstalling Win10 fresh on my desktop so I can get rid of the sluggishness. I ran all the system updates, including Anniversary update, and so far everything running OK. Now I'm reinstalling all my previous applications again.

SamiBchennati

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
If you have the Windows 7 or 8 product key you could try creating an iso file using the media creation tool on your other pc (if you have one) and burning the iso file to a DVD. That way you install Windows 10 after formating the hard drive. *(Exept if you want to keep the files don't format and I am not sure if you can still use a Windows 7 or 8 product key to activate Windows 10) Beacause Microsoft stopped the free upgrade offer for Windows 10. Good luck. :wink:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading from a AU CD , created using media creation tool is the best to way to upgrade in my view. i updated my PC and my samsung laptop using the AU disc without any glitches or bug.

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone succeeded in an AU after uninstalling certain programs, and if so, what were they? My wife is keen to get the AU (and I've successfully done it on my other PCs at home), but hers still stubbornly refuses to do it and has failed several times now.

Mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99