My Smartphone OS & Screen size !!!

Tarek Salami

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi All:

First thing first I'd like to say Bigger not always better !!

Smartphones became a necessity now days, some people depends on their smartphones for business in unbelievable way, and it is really making life easier.

For me I need my smartphone for Business in many sides, like, Translating, GPS & maps, currency exchange rates & ......................... lot more things.

Now I need another smartphone (I have Galaxy S4) and I decided that the right smartphone for me should be with Windows Phone OS {Budget one}.

It Should be small size (4" to 4.5" screen), nice looking, lag free & with minimal smartphone aspects !!

I try to search for an available smartphone meet my needs and I found nearly nothing !!

take the Lumia 530 & 630 for example, no proximity sensor, no LED light for the camera with very cheap plastic build !!

I'm using small Nokia Asha 501 Phone and it is without proximity sensor and it is really painful to use it when you are making a call, so when you want to turn the screen on it is off and when you want it to be turned off you find it on, because easily there is no proximity sensor .

and the LED light is very useful aspect for the camera & night shots also it can be used as a flash light.

I don't know why Microsoft is pushing such phones like 530 & 630 and naming them as smartphones, I don't mind to go with market and keep the screen growing on year after year until we will reach TV size smartphones, but please try to make something compact like the Sony Z3 compact (Android), where it is smaller (smaller in Android game) but with very good aspects.

I know that the Lumia 730 in the way but it is nearly same like my Galaxy S4 size and I can't carry to big smartphones with me !!

I also found while searching the Prestigio Multiphone 8400 DUO, it is cool smartphone 4" screen with nice aspects but it is not available in my area.

Hope we will soon see more small size screen Windows Phones with high aspects or at least with proximity sensor.

Tarek Salami

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I though about that, but I don't like to get old hardware .

Old Lumia models come with small batteries and this is another deal breaker, hope Microsoft soon correct that.

we need compact smartphone with WP 8.1 OS, and hope we will see that in Lumia 935 !!!

Solidgamez

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I think you are out of luck, unless you buy the 530, 63X, 720, 820 920/925 you will have a screen size of atleast 5 inch. or you will have to wait and hope for the best :)

Tarek Salami

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Again this is Microsoft mistake
Look at Nokia X2 Dual, it does have Android inside with nice aspects like GPS,camera LED, proximity sensor & good battery with nice screen .

but they again came back to burning platform game !!!

no more Nokia non WP smartphones, so who is going to buy smartphone with died platform ?!

I'm looking for Lumia 925 now but there is many threads talking about battery issues with the 8.1 update

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Here is something I posted on another thread but is relevant for this discussion as well:

One interesting thought. For a few years the iPhone users and Apple themselves kept saying the screen size is perfect and now all of a sudden they break all sorts of records when they launch iPhone 6 with larger screens. I think the big screen is here to stay so if you keep asking for a smaller screen it is not going to happen, might as well find the best compromise in terms of size and hardware. Even an Apple fan needs to get either a 5S (now 1 year old) or 5C (same as iPhone 5 which is 2 year old hardware) so this dilemma is pronounced across the board....

On a side note one of my friends noted that in the early days cellphones were huge until flip phones came along and they became small and now they are again becoming big in size....interesting, isn't it?

Tarek Salami

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I totally agree with you worldspy99 , I remember the days when cell phones became so small and text message still wasn't this much popular, I believe that Sony now leading the OEM's with the Z3 compact small with high aspects.

doob9911 I'm looking for something Windows Phone because I like & I need Windows Phone, but since there is no new Windows Phones meet my needs, I believe I will go for Android, that's really disappointing me.

Tarek Salami

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 730 is better than others with budget and features

If you compare Lumia 720 & 730 you will find that Lumia 720 have a better build quality, Microsoft is making cheap plastic smartphones now like Samsung, Samsung now learned the lesson in the hard way (cut in sales), so Microsoft should pay attention for that .

I'm not going to buy cheap looking smartphone again after my Galaxy S4

Last edited:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree about screen size, what limits it for me is my need for pocketability and one handed use, my Icon is a bit too big as far as I'm concerned, 4.5-4.7" seems about perfect.

Domestoboto92x

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've become too accustomed with my Galaxy Note 2 (before it vanished from a break-in anyway) that I find anything smaller than 4.7 inches difficult to type in, at least not without swiping gestures (I moved to a Nexus 4 for a while after the break-in, Swiftkey made text input bearable. I've settled for now to a WP 8X (HTC; until I get a refurb Lumia 925/New 830, and typing is a nightmare, I keep making mistakes far more often than I wanted/became used to.)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've become too accustomed with my Galaxy Note 2 (before it vanished from a break-in anyway) that I find anything smaller than 4.7 inches difficult to type in, at least not without swiping gestures (I moved to a Nexus 4 for a while after the break-in, Swiftkey made text input bearable. I've settled for now to a WP 8X (HTC; until I get a refurb Lumia 925/New 830, and typing is a nightmare, I keep making mistakes far more often than I wanted/became used to.)
Word Flow works well on the HTC 8X that I have...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077