My Xbox One experience has emotionally scarred me.. Share your stories!

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
As if to further wind me up.... A further catastrophe has befallen me... And yes I am aware that this is a first world problem, blah blah blah. Finally got everything downloaded. Been playing Forza. The wretched thing will not connect to any multiplayer games. Checked NAT type etc, nice and open. Went on some Forza forums, apparently some routers will not work with the damn thing. Some fancy new net code..... You can guess at the look on my face right now. Virgin media and the Super hub 2 have some work to do it seems. This could be the end of the whole thing for me. No online gaming removes much of the point. Gutted.

This may or may not help you but I had a similar problem a week ago. And my NAT was already defaulted to open. Xbox One requires you to open up port forwarding for several ports. Once I did that I was able to connect to parties and play online.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Dude, I've spent 5-years working at Microsoft as a contractor on Xbox projects, and was even working on something related to the Xbox One until late-April and was laid off. I have been having trouble finding another position and had to cancel my pre-order for a Day One unit.

I would say my situation would be far worse than yours...and even I would say that calling it emotionally scarring would be one of the biggest lies (not just exaggerations) I would have told... ...ever.

My fiancee even apologized to me (she's had terrible ex's that this would have angered) because she felt like she hadn't worked enough hours to ensure I could get it. I had to get her to relax and realize I wasn't upset with her and was proud of how hard she's worked in order to help keep us afloat while I continue to look for a position.

I think it's guys like the OP here that make people like my fiancee end up feeling broken to the point of being unworthy of praise. It reminds me of something one of her ex's would do.

Not cool man, not cool.

Now with that said...

This may or may not help you but I had a similar problem a week ago. And my NAT was already defaulted to open. Xbox One requires you to open up port forwarding for several ports. Once I did that I was able to connect to parties and play online.

I usually just set my primary console to be the DMZ device on my network. It bypasses pretty much all need for any playing around with NAT settings.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's guys like the OP here that make people like my fiancee end up feeling broken to the point of being unworthy of praise. It reminds me of something one of her ex's would do.

Not cool man, not cool.

Actually that comment you made wasn't cool. You aren't in any place to judge me or my relationship. And I'm also guessing you skipped the part of my story where I apologized for jumping to conclusions and then we lived happily ever after? Trust me, it takes a lot more than a 2 min trivial argument over an Xbox to break my woman down. As if that's something I would even do. But not that I need to defend myself for you anyway.

Abhishek Upadhyay

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I've spent 5-years working at Microsoft as a contractor on Xbox projects, and was even working on something related to the Xbox One until late-April and was laid off. I have been having trouble finding another position and had to cancel my pre-order for a Day One unit.

I would say my situation would be far worse than yours...and even I would say that calling it emotionally scarring would be one of the biggest lies (not just exaggerations) I would have told... ...ever.

My fiancee even apologized to me (she's had terrible ex's that this would have angered) because she felt like she hadn't worked enough hours to ensure I could get it. I had to get her to relax and realize I wasn't upset with her and was proud of how hard she's worked in order to help keep us afloat while I continue to look for a position.

Not cool man, not cool.

Now with that said...

I usually just set my primary console to be the DMZ device on my network. It bypasses pretty much all need for any playing around with NAT settings.

Oh..
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I'm sure you'll be up and running very soon.

And everybody, give the OP a break! His gf isn't complaining, why are you?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But the other one works fine I assume? So you'll be keeping that one anyway?
The other one that has a normal fan sound is still working fine and I am most probably keeping it. I trust that those couple of issues I had with it earlier are software related, and being a programmer myself I won't worry much about it. I am putting some strain on the console and it seems working fine so far, touch wood.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I trust that those couple of issues I had with it earlier are software related, and being a programmer myself I won't worry much about it.

Well I pressed the support team at Xbox/Microsoft and asked if they noticed any pattern in the returns or calls they were getting. They said that they were mainly having issues with the Day One consoles (which I had). They said that many of the consoles were damaged in transit which was a indirect result of them shipping earlier than launch day. I guess rushing them out caused some mishandling issues..

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
still you sound like you are 5, and you make it seem like it was the end of the world that you had to wait for a couple more hours to play something. Seriously getting a xbox one or ps4 isnt all that serious that you have to yell at your other half cause they had more important things to do then watch you say xbox one on and act like a giddy little school girl when it happens.

Wow. Man the discord with his girlfriend was not about playing a game.

There is a reason I am not married. One thing being married entails is treating something you think is trivial with a lot of respect simply because it is important to your other half. If a girl says wait at my house for a delivery of some expensive shoes that I really like and want to wear to a party this weekend you d@mn sure better not leave ten minutes early. If you leave ten minutes early and f'up the situation she may not yell at you but she may cry which is ten times worse. I make very few requests of my girlfriend but when I make a request the thing that is 10 times worse than her saying no is her not respecting the request. Even if she declines at least show some respect. And the reverse is true. You never want your girlfriend to know you think something she really likes is trivial.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate you backing me up here Citizen X!

You do have some valid points there. While I'm not condoning finding useless reasons to give our partners a hard time, there are many occasions that exist where our girlfriends or wives will give us hell for things that we might consider trivial. And while I've somehow come across as a complete scumbag to some people here for giving my girlfriend a hard time over breaking our arrangement many are failing to see there was some validity to it. And of course, had it been the other way around and had a new purse or pair of shoes that she talked about non-stop with me for weeks, and paid a pretty penny for, and took a day off work to get and was obvious the kind of anticipation that was built up.. If I had bailed and missed her delivery of her pair of shoes that she needed for that party on that Friday night she was excited all year for I can assure you that I would NEVER have heard the end of it. And I still would be hearing about it for years to come. Trust me. And she probably would've made me feel 10x worse than I made her feel over this. For some reason people are envisioning my "ripping" as some sort of verbal or physical abuse or emotionally tearing her soul apart until she's left cowering in the corner in her own pools of tears. That is a far, far exaggeration from reality. In real life it was me reminding her in a slightly escalated tone of voice over the phone that the bottom line was she promised she would be there for me and found a way to get out it without giving me a heads up. And I told her that I was extremely disappointed in her. That in itself was not cool.

But all this is all entirely irrelevant anyway because UPS made the error! And she wasn't to blame in the end. I immediately felt bad for giving her crap about it and sincerely apologized right away. The whole thing was behind us in less than 3 min. People seriously need to stop trolling.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, a deal is a deal, regardless if it's about waiting for a gaming console delivery or not. But I guess it sorta depends why she bailed. If it was needed for her work, I probably would have hard time being mad over it to my fiancee if it was just a console delivery, work comes first. But if it was like.. "i dont wanna wait here anymore, ill go shopping" kinda thing, then it's obviously a lot worse the deal was broken :p

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, a deal is a deal, regardless if it's about waiting for a gaming console delivery or not. But I guess it sorta depends why she bailed. If it was needed for her work, I probably would have hard time being mad over it to my fiancee if it was just a console delivery, work comes first. But if it was like.. "i dont wanna wait here anymore, ill go shopping" kinda thing, then it's obviously a lot worse the deal was broken :p

Of course I agree 100%. In this case the way she presented it to me was that was that I said I would be home around 1pm but was running late so she just decided to leave a note for UPS instead of waiting around. Which is fine, had I gotten the heads up. Because when I got home my friend from property management said UPS was there earlier and didn't know if it was for me. And if he had known I was expecting something he could've grabbed it for me. For me it was more the principal of the whole thing. Because had she asked the same for me I would've done exactly what was asked of her. No fussing or complaining or trying to pass the buck. She made me a promise, I depended on her for it and she didn't follow through. Had she gave me a heads up I could've easily tried to make alternate arrangements. And had she needed to leave because something more important came up then that's also understandable. But either way, a heads up was definitely welcomed.

But all this is water under the bridge. I said gave her my apologies. She helped me rectify the whole thing, UPS came back and we lived happily ever after.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
On that note, I feel sorry for you people that UPS and alike would leave packages on your doorstep. That's just ridicilously stupid. PERHAPS on the country side or something I could potentially understand, but anywhere near the city? No frigging way.

Thank God our delivery companies wouldn't do that here.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
On that note, I feel sorry for you people that UPS and alike would leave packages on your doorstep. That's just ridicilously stupid. PERHAPS on the country side or something I could potentially understand, but anywhere near the city? No frigging way.

Thank God our delivery companies wouldn't do that here.

UPS definitely will not leave packages on our doorsteps here lol. Although sometimes I wish they would. They always remind us how someone needs to sign for the package but if it's pre-arranged they can leave the package with someone else. Thankfully I live in a building where everyone is nice enough to accept my occasional packages for me while I'm at the office then I can grab it later when I'm back home.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This was quite the humorous read. I literally laughed and read it twice for the LOLs.

I guess people really are dedicated to these systems to the point of being scarred emotionally(LOL). It wasn't so much the snapping at the girlfriend thing that made me laugh(well it did) it was the reference of being emotionally scarred :D

Oh thanks for the laugh and I hope everything works out with the gf and the xbox from here on out

(Plus some of the comments in the thread were LOL worthy)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This was quite the humorous read. I literally laughed and read it twice for the LOLs.

I guess people really are dedicated to these systems to the point of being scarred emotionally(LOL). It wasn't so much the snapping at the girlfriend thing that made me laugh(well it did) it was the reference of being emotionally scarred :D

Oh thanks for the laugh and I hope everything works out with the gf and the xbox from here on out

(Plus some of the comments in the thread were LOL worthy)

Hahaha.. Glad I was able to provide some form of entertainment at my own expense! Mission accomplished!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
UPS definitely will not leave packages on our doorsteps here lol. Although sometimes I wish they would. They always remind us how someone needs to sign for the package but if it's pre-arranged they can leave the package with someone else. Thankfully I live in a building where everyone is nice enough to accept my occasional packages for me while I'm at the office then I can grab it later when I'm back home.

Ah, that's good then. Somewhere in the US that is apparently quite common. Might've been a different company (USPS? does such exist? :D), but I've read stories of people getting their Xboxes stolen when the delivery guy just left it at the doorstep.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
i am going to replace my unit this saturday, front panel scratched + console cannot be turned off (always freezes on turn off dialog). considering it's sold out everywhere, I problaby won't receive any replacement for several weeks. Thank you MS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss