Myth of Windows Phone In India

junjunoori

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Good article. Its really helpful for us(Indians). But the OS misses few things which are required by most of the Indians(maybe all). I have a 820 and I made 10 of my friends to buy windows phone. All of them after buying the phone asked, where can I find File manager. Few of them asked can they install apps on the sd card and also they would like to save whatsapp videos to the phone.
Hope Microsoft adds these features.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Guys please spread this thread as many as possible to increase windows phone sales specially in India to make no. 1 in 5-7 years after beating android

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I own 820 and previously hd 520 and HD7

I have coverted 8 people to wp and none of them complained about any apps...my friends in college call me WP ambasador :-D

sent from my Nokia Lumia 820

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good article. Its really helpful for us(Indians). But the OS misses few things which are required by most of the Indians(maybe all). I have a 820 and I made 10 of my friends to buy windows phone. All of them after buying the phone asked, where can I find File manager. Few of them asked can they install apps on the sd card and also they would like to save whatsapp videos to the phone.
Hope Microsoft adds these features.

So what features "are required by most of the Indians(maybe all)."?

The things you listed would certainly not apply to most Indians. I believe you are projecting the wants of the few other people you know to an entire consumer base.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
As all will say there will be less app ( may be games) than android eg:- temple run 2, subway surfer etc.

Moreover I am not complaining as I love wp8 more than android & ios.

Anonymous_India

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What indian users really need???

1-A file manager->It is very common for a lot of us to be able to browse files and/or be able to use device as mass storage and be ale to atleast view what files are in the device(even if its not supported).
2-A better appstore->Though its not very big deal as the marketplace is growing but its not enough,Indians love to show off and to flaunt what they have among their peers,with so many androids out there with totally "open" platform,it makes us a li'l bit worried but I think it will be solved in coming times.
3-A better video player->Most of us love to watch the videos downloaded from youtube/other site in default FLV format,and we like to carry it on our cells because we are huge "social networking sites" users.
4-Social networking->A full supported native app from facebook is all needed atleast for now as almost every second guy/gal wants to be able to browse facebook without current "mumbo-jumbo" on windows phones.
5-Whatsapp->This is the biggest factor,though its because MS hasn't opened its API and not fault of WA,but again,as these times,a number of people have their frnds who forward them videos and songs etc,and to not to be able to save it biggest pain.
6-Familiarity->You go in Metro,and you see very few with windows phone,y??? Because earlier(before advent of droid) it was nokia's symbian who rules every indian's hear and it has so many features that cannot be even compared to windows phone 8,this is the single factor coupled with above that's restricting.
7-Price->We are very price concious,a typical indian will want feature of a buggati veyron in maruti 800,though you ppl might laugh but with an expanding middle class and rapid urbanisation+globalisation,we indians want to invest in products that work for a long time,as we do not have contract system here so we have to buy the phones,and this makes us go for something which is in fashion or say accepted totally by the society.

Saying that WP8 is secure and other good things,if looked from our view,don't matter much because what we want at the end is a phone that has-
a-Heavy battery
b-be able to play good games
c-let us connect to our fav social sites with ease
d-Let us store more and more on our phones(not all of us own a computer even now)
e-rough and tough(harsh weather and daily running life)
f-Good speakers(sometimes we like to play it loud)
g-wallpapers and theme(though not an issue for me,but,a lot of us like to tweak the appearance)
h-minimalism is good but not everyone understands it.

FYI i own a lumia 720 and I am an Indian and I might have missed a few points but in a nutshell i have tried to enlist the factors that make us go for a phone.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
really awesome perspective of Indian

1-A file manager->It is very common for a lot of us to be able to browse files and/or be able to use device as mass storage and be ale to atleast view what files are in the device(even if its not supported).
2-A better appstore->Though its not very big deal as the marketplace is growing but its not enough,Indians love to show off and to flaunt what they have among their peers,with so many androids out there with totally "open" platform,it makes us a li'l bit worried but I think it will be solved in coming times.
3-A better video player->Most of us love to watch the videos downloaded from youtube/other site in default FLV format,and we like to carry it on our cells because we are huge "social networking sites" users.
4-Social networking->A full supported native app from facebook is all needed atleast for now as almost every second guy/gal wants to be able to browse facebook without current "mumbo-jumbo" on windows phones.
5-Whatsapp->This is the biggest factor,though its because MS hasn't opened its API and not fault of WA,but again,as these times,a number of people have their frnds who forward them videos and songs etc,and to not to be able to save it biggest pain.
6-Familiarity->You go in Metro,and you see very few with windows phone,y??? Because earlier(before advent of droid) it was nokia's symbian who rules every indian's hear and it has so many features that cannot be even compared to windows phone 8,this is the single factor coupled with above that's restricting.
7-Price->We are very price concious,a typical indian will want feature of a buggati veyron in maruti 800,though you ppl might laugh but with an expanding middle class and rapid urbanisation+globalisation,we indians want to invest in products that work for a long time,as we do not have contract system here so we have to buy the phones,and this makes us go for something which is in fashion or say accepted totally by the society.

Saying that WP8 is secure and other good things,if looked from our view,don't matter much because what we want at the end is a phone that has-
a-Heavy battery
d-Let us store more and more on our phones(not all of us own a computer even now)
g-wallpapers and theme(though not an issue for me,but,a lot of us like to tweak the appearance)

FYI i own a lumia 720 and I am an Indian and I might have missed a few points but in a nutshell i have tried to enlist the factors that make us go for a phone.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
We Indian WP users also get a lot of nonsense from people of the opinion that everything should be open source xD

Anyways WhatsApp needs to improve because it's quite big in India and it's very silly to me that MS thinks allowing video access to apps is unimportant. At least MS India should do something!!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

a-Heavy battery

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

If you are, bravo for commitment.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Whatever it maybe, easy to use is missing in windows phone... Basic stuffs are missing.. But for average users, nokia is style statement. I don't convert people, but people are getting attracted to windows phone. Windows phones has very bright future.

Facebook and WhatsApp both are game changers in India. Both are buggy still!! Microsoft should grant all trusted apps special permission. I wonder how moli player is only super app in store...

Sent from Tapatalk Lumia 625 GDR3

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I own 820 and previously hd 520 and HD7

I have coverted 8 people to wp and none of them complained about any apps...my friends in college call me WP ambasador :-D

sent from my Nokia Lumia 820

Same With Me Ashish !! People in my office call me Nokia Fan.. Now they are calling me Lumia Man..

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
this thread is myth of windows phone 8 in India not which is good or better so please don't write cons & pros of wp8.
This thread is how we can remove myth of wp8 in India,

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
From my experience what I've seen is that most people are unaware of the WP Eco-system altogether. These are the top complains I hear about WP 8:

1) No Apps.
2) Difficult to operate.
3) Its not android.

1) A very common misconception among people is that WP lacks major apps. Which is these days is only partially true. I see major app developers have already started making apps for WP8. The store in its current condition has all the everyday apps that a person uses.

Another complain I hear is about paid apps. Sad but it needs to be pointed out that many Indians still believe that paying for apps is a foolish idea. They either settle for free apps or resort to jail breaking their devices to get apps for free. Nothing is free and for any developer to come up with better apps or at least some free apps, they will need a steady revenue from apps. This is because no one works for free and devs need to be paid. Once people start purchasing apps and games, the OS in whole will stabilize and more and more devs will consider releasing free apps. THIS is how a platform matures. This has been case with iOS and Android. In their inception both platforms had paid apps.

2) People resist change. So when they are subjected to a new environment they are not accustomed with, and they hit wall they seem to complain that its not good. When the truth is that the new environment is just different. Same is the story with WP8. Things work differently. It is unique. Hence expecting it to function as other platform is unfair.

Here are some opinions and my reply to them.
"I can't put live wallpaper in WP. It sucks". "It just has two pages". "Where is the home screen?"

"Well you don't have live tiles in Android. I can see app data without even opening apps. Android sucks". "True, but everything is organised and my home screen is neat". ":Speechless:"

3)Picking a point that Anonymous India had mentioned earlier. People in India like to flaunt their phones. So unless its a high-end Android phone or an iPhone, the phone is not "Cool". Once WP 8 gets better traction, over time people will start giving a second thought about WP. Right now WP devices (mostly lower end and mid range) are selling like hot pancakes because of the uniqueness, vibrant looks and productivity of WP.

I cannot claim I've converted a large crowd into buying WP. But spreading and educating people is very important and I try to do my part as best as possible. With more people knowing more about WP, scenario of WP will change. India has a huge potential for smartphones. And this article will probably back my previous statement. Nokia?€™s market share in India grows to 5% in Q3 2013; positive signs for further growth | Windows Phone Central

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well.. at least they still know about Windows Phone :D
In here, Indonesia, most of the people I came across even my friends, they don't know Windows Phone. They only know Windows. They don't know Nokia also runs on Windows Phone. To make it worse, the Nokia Indonesia itself didn't do a lot of advertising or marketing to let the people know. I thought they have improved when they launched Lumia 920 last year. They advertised it on the famous newspaper. But this year, to my surprise, they "silently" launched the 1020. Even, I have to searched the web to find out the information and went to Nokia Store to find out about it. If it's Samsung, you can easily spot them when they launched new product even it's not the flagship product. Well, Nokia might have less budget for marketing compared to Samsung, but at least, they need to find other ways to let people know.
Not only that, they also need to train all their staffs that is in charge of selling Lumia properly. When I went to the Store last week, the staff told me that she didn't really know how to use the 1020, especially the Pro Cam. She said there is other staff that know how to do it, but she hasn't arrived yet. Even the app is not updated to the latest version, Nokia Camera. What if someone wanted to buy and the staff doesn't know how to show the customer the advantage of Lumia 1020?
If it were me, I will download all the famous apps like: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Vine, etc and pin it to the Start Screen. So people will notice it.

And I asked her again, who bought Lumia the most? The teenage or the elderly, and to my surprise, she said the elderly bought mostly. By elderly, she means above 30 years old.
The teenagers in here like to take photos and I wonder why they don't buy Lumia?
Don't get me wrong, I really love Nokia and Windows Phone. But I'm just disappointed at the way they do things. For Nokia, they can't seem to set a certain date for availability date. Especially, Nokia Indonesia. I have convinced some of friends and parents to get Lumia and they did. And then one of my friend was asking when is Lumia 1020 coming out. I told him I don't know yet. After waiting and waiting and still no news, he decided to get Blackberry Q10. If only, Nokia set an announcement that it will be available in 3 weeks time, then Nokia will get at least one new customer.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Well.. at least they still know about Windows Phone :D
In here, Indonesia, most of the people I came across even my friends, they don't know Windows Phone. They only know Windows. They don't know Nokia also runs on Windows Phone. To make it worse, the Nokia Indonesia itself didn't do a lot of advertising or marketing to let the people know. I thought they have improved when they launched Lumia 920 last year. They advertised it on the famous newspaper. But this year, to my surprise, they "silently" launched the 1020. Even, I have to searched the web to find out the information and went to Nokia Store to find out about it. If it's Samsung, you can easily spot them when they launched new product even it's not the flagship product. Well, Nokia might have less budget for marketing compared to Samsung, but at least, they need to find other ways to let people know.
Not only that, they also need to train all their staffs that is in charge of selling Lumia properly. When I went to the Store last week, the staff told me that she didn't really know how to use the 1020, especially the Pro Cam. She said there is other staff that know how to do it, but she hasn't arrived yet. Even the app is not updated to the latest version, Nokia Camera. What if someone wanted to buy and the staff doesn't know how to show the customer the advantage of Lumia 1020?
If it were me, I will download all the famous apps like: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Vine, etc and pin it to the Start Screen. So people will notice it.

And I asked her again, who bought Lumia the most? The teenage or the elderly, and to my surprise, she said the elderly bought mostly. By elderly, she means above 30 years old.
The teenagers in here like to take photos and I wonder why they don't buy Lumia?
Don't get me wrong, I really love Nokia and Windows Phone. But I'm just disappointed at the way they do things. For Nokia, they can't seem to set a certain date for availability date. Especially, Nokia Indonesia. I have convinced some of friends and parents to get Lumia and they did. And then one of my friend was asking when is Lumia 1020 coming out. I told him I don't know yet. After waiting and waiting and still no news, he decided to get Blackberry Q10. If only, Nokia set an announcement that it will be available in 3 weeks time, then Nokia will get at least one new customer.

In india whenever a phone is launched...it is advertised aggressively for a month or so...but low end phones like 520 620 and 720 always appear in newspapers !!

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124