Nearly purchased RT then told not to.

johnfishcurtis

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just visited PC World (UK) to buy the RT with keyboard, card in machine to buy whilst chatting to sales person, who then informs me i cant run iTunes.

Gutted!

Is there a windows tablet that does allow iTunes, or do i have to buy a laptop?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In very simple terms devices which run Windows RT are tablets just like iPad and Nexus. So expect tablet apps to run on Surface RT (or whatever RT device you choose).

For running iTunes you should buy a "Surface Pro" but it is twice as costly since it can run tablet apps and iTunes like software too. I call it a mini beast :).
If it is music management you want Surface RT can do it without iTunes just like other tablets.

I have posted these videos in other threads too I think they help in informing why Surface RT is a good tablet.

Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT - YouTube

Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT, Part 2 - YouTube

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want to run iTunes get an iPad. I'm sick and tired of people bashing surface because it doesn't run x86 apps. Or that the store doesn't have enough apps. I know you're not really bashing it, but every thread anymore I see has something negative. It really is a great device and having it a month now its been a great tool. Work and play!

johnfishcurtis

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I do not want an iPad and the RT is more than sufficient. Only use iTunes for podcasts and occasional music downloads, also Amazon for music.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Man, going Windows means leaving the Mac OS ecosystem behind, and btw, you will do that while having a very wide smile on your face of how elegant the Windows OS ecosystem is, if you are an average user you will be happy with it. I

f you want something very niche then look for it and get it. the surface RT isnt built for niche its built for average.

last, although it lacks a number if important apps (some have amazing alternatives which are actually better than the official), you still can access most of those services from the internet explorer. i dont have an RT device, but i think im going to buy nokias new one.

rmmoore80

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Get a Surface RT or Surface 2 and use Xbox Music. Pair that with an Xbox Music Pass and you will never look back. Podcasts, music, etc. all at your fingertips. My wife and I both have Xbox Music Pass subscriptions. She downloads so much music with hers it is scary.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
even if you buy a tablet and run iTunes (which means it will be a x86 tablet) do you really want to go to desktop everytime you want to manage and listen to music?
I know xbox music can import your iTunes playlist. but you know... I personally think its silly to get a tablet, a portable nice device just to run non touch optimized desktop applications that you would have to plug a mouse and a keyboard to make them work perfectly. you know, its not like iTunes its the best windows software anyway, so even if you can install it... doesn't that sounds like a waste of money if you will go desktop everytime you want to do that?

also its worth to mention xbox music is not a nice alternative to iTunes. so if you want a surface and you have a xbox and such, it would be nice ecosystem for you.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're buying a tablet, then the implication is that it's not your only computer (unless your computing needs are strictly limited to browsing/gaming/email/etc).

If you do have another computer/laptop, then use that for your iTunes syncing. I've put iTunes on my main desktop computer upstairs and use that to manage my iPod. My Surface is free to do what it does best.

johnfishcurtis

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If you're buying a tablet, then the implication is that it's not your only computer (unless your computing needs are strictly limited to browsing/gaming/email/etc).

If you do have another computer/laptop, then use that for your iTunes syncing. I've put iTunes on my main desktop computer upstairs and use that to manage my iPod. My Surface is free to do what it does best.

Have given it some thought. I will install iTunes on the desk top PC in the office & get the RT to replace my laptop.

It will mostly be used for internet, picture storage (cloud), email and for the kids to play games.

Will also get the keyboard :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)