Need a bit of help with HP Elite X3

trandat

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
I just picked up this HP Elite X3 and to be honest, I really like it. I will switch to this full time if I can get a few things ironed out.

1. Is there a way to turn my VPN to always on? I don't see a way to do this. I've successfully added a VPN, but I have to manually go in and select 'connect' when I want it used. Plus, I never really know when its disconnected.

2. I Can't send picture messages to some people, but I can to others. Multi-user threads also tend to fail for me as well. I have AT&T and have tried resolving this with them over the last two weeks. No luck there. Does anyone have experience with AT&T + the HP Elite X3 that can assist?

3. I added an outlook account. It is pinned on my desktop. I can access email, it works great.
Problem is, I added a second (exchange) account and I don't know how to actually get to my inbox. Its listed under settings>email & app accounts, but that's it. You can only manage the accounts there, not check your inbox etc. I figure this is an easy solution, but its aggravating me nonetheless.

TIA

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
1. Can’t help you with the VPN situation, I’ve never used one.

2. You have to make sure you have the correct APN settings for AT&T. Data is one APN and messaging is another. Popping in a SIM card doesn’t always guarantee the correct settings will be populated.

3. See the attached pictures for this one. In Outlook, use the account picker (where my finger is) and from there you press and hold whichever account you want and select “pin to start” or words to that effect. They will pin to the bottom of your start screen and you move it from there.Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
1- I don't believe the VPN can be turned on permanently.

2 - @fatclue_98 answered this.

3 - Along with what @fatclue_98 said, instead of having one Outlook tile, you can actually pin separate tiles for each account. To do that, go to the menu in the second picture, long press 'Inbox' and there should be a 'Pin to Start' option.

trandat

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
1. Can’t help you with the VPN situation, I’ve never used one.

2. You have to make sure you have the correct APN settings for AT&T. Data is one APN and messaging is another. Popping in a SIM card doesn’t always guarantee the correct settings will be populated.

3. See the attached pictures for this one. In Outlook, use the account picker (where my finger is) and from there you press and hold whichever account you want and select “pin to start” or words to that effect. They will pin to the bottom of your start screen and you move it from there.View attachment 141858View attachment 141859

First - thank you for trying to assist me.
1. OK
2. So your suggestion is that I need both Data APN and messaging APN. I will try that. Just an FYI, I have two sections that deal with APNs. "Internet APN" and "MMS APN" . I have a 'default' APN for my Internet. It shows 'activated'. Everything in there is blank except IP Type (IPv4). "Use this APN" and "Apply this profile" are both checked and greyed out. In fact, I cannot edit or delete this default profile. I should add, my Internet works just fine - I can access the web via my browser.

There is no APN profile under MMS APN. So I assume this is my issue and where I need to find correct settings for this phone + AT&T and add a profile. I will search again on the Internet to see if someone else with AT&T and the HP Elite X3 had a similar issue and resolved it. Calls to AT&T have produced no help in this area. sigh.

3. Thank you for your help. I am able to find and pin additional accounts via the account picker "3 horizontal bars" icon.

:smile:

Last edited:

trandat

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
1- I don't believe the VPN can be turned on permanently.

2 - @fatclue_98 answered this.

3 - Along with what @fatclue_98 said, instead of having one Outlook tile, you can actually pin separate tiles for each account. To do that, go to the menu in the second picture, long press 'Inbox' and there should be a 'Pin to Start' option.

Thank you for further assisting.

It's unfortunate that VPN cannot be turned on permanently. This is something that was possible with Blackberry and various Android phones that I have used. I'll just bookmark an IP test site so that I can check my status.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for further assisting.

It's unfortunate that VPN cannot be turned on permanently. This is something that was possible with Blackberry and various Android phones that I have used. I'll just bookmark an IP test site so that I can check my status.

Glad you found a workaround at least!

trandat

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
I just picked up this HP Elite X3 and to be honest, I really like it. I will switch to this full time if I can get a few things ironed out.

Is there a way to turn my VPN to always on? I don't see a way to do this. I've successfully added a VPN, but I have to manually go in and select 'connect' when I want it used. Plus, I never really know when its disconnected. Apparently there is not. Bummer.

2. I Can't send picture messages to some people, but I can to others. Multi-user threads also tend to fail for me as well. I have AT&T and have tried resolving this with them over the last two weeks. No luck there. Does anyone have experience with AT&T + the HP Elite X3 that can assist?

3. I added an outlook account. It is pinned on my desktop. I can access email, it works great.
Problem is, I added a second (exchange) account and I don't know how to actually get to my inbox. Its listed under settings>email & app accounts, but that's it. You can only manage the accounts there, not check your inbox etc. I figure this is an easy solution, but its aggravating me nonetheless.

TIA

#2 is still not resolved. I have googled and tried various APN settings and cannot find any that allow me to send / receive MMS. I was hoping someone had the same phone and was using AT&T? Anyone?

#3. I was able to pin, thank you. However, I have a new issue. I cannot add an exchange account to my windows phone. Its basically telling me I have the incorrect login credentials. Has anyone successfully added an exchange account to their Windows phone?

Thank you!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is going to sound like a stupid question but did you inadvertently buy a Verizon Elite x3? If so, don’t worry there are registry edits to bypass carrier entitlements.

trandat

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
This is going to sound like a stupid question but did you inadvertently buy a Verizon Elite x3? If so, don’t worry there are registry edits to bypass carrier entitlements.

Great question! I am pretty sure I do not have the verizon version. My X3 is an unlocked GSM as far as I know. I've tried ATT and T-Mobile sims and they both work. Plus, I see nothing carrier specific to Verizon on the phone (no splash on boot, no software etc).

Now that I've used the phone for most of the year it works as I need it for the most part.

There is still the inexplicable MMS text that I cannot send to some people, but I can to others. No idea why. It is what it is. My VPN stays connected all the time now, not sure why. No complaints :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb