Need Advice For Device Selection

anon(5140585)

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to get a WP very soon. I have had the Focus Flash in the past and really enjoyed it, but went back to my iPhone. I am with AT&T and ready for an upgrade, but I am also willing to buy a used phone as well. I really like the Lumia 820, but that would have to be bought used since AT&T no longer offers it. I think 4.3 is the biggest I would go for screen size, maybe 4.5.

I need help deciding on a device. I do like the Lumia line as my mine choice. The most important feature I need is a GREAT camera, but think the 1020's hump on the back will bother me. Please odder your experiences and likes/dislikes about the phones you use. Again, I am with AT&T.

Thanks!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am also on AT&T. I've had an iPhone 4S, a Lumia 820, a Lumia 920, and an HTC 8X.

The form factor, removable back, swappable battery, and MicroSD slot made the 820 my favorite. The differences in the screen between it and the 920 were barely noticeable to my eyes. I do see, however, HUGE differences in the pictures between the 820 and the 920. If you want a great camera, the 820 will disappoint in comparison (although I did find it superior to the 4Ss camera).

Please note I'm not knocking the 920. That's my "daily driver", and it's a GREAT device. I am constantly amazed by some of the pictures it takes, especially in low-light situations. You absolutely will not go wrong with the 920 if you're looking for a great camera... especially for the price AT&T is offering them on contract now... $50 or so? Daaaaaaaamn.

Like you, I think the 1020's camera "hump" would annoy me. But holy hell does that thing make some great pictures.

Were I you, I'd look at the 925. It's new on AT&T and seems to be everything the 920 is with a slightly better form factor/case. Although it is 16gb as opposed to the 920's 32gb. Which might be your only true deciding factor between the two.

*shrug*

I'd get to your local AT&T store and check out both the 920 and the 925, see which one you like best. :)

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I am also on AT&T. I've had an iPhone 4S, a Lumia 820, a Lumia 920, and an HTC 8X.

The form factor, removable back, swappable battery, and MicroSD slot made the 820 my favorite. The differences in the screen between it and the 920 were barely noticeable to my eyes. I do see, however, HUGE differences in the pictures between the 820 and the 920. If you want a great camera, the 820 will disappoint in comparison (although I did find it superior to the 4Ss camera).

Please note I'm not knocking the 920. That's my "daily driver", and it's a GREAT device. I am constantly amazed by some of the pictures it takes, especially in low-light situations. You absolutely will not go wrong with the 920 if you're looking for a great camera... especially for the price AT&T is offering them on contract now... $50 or so? Daaaaaaaamn.

Like you, I think the 1020's camera "hump" would annoy me. But holy hell does that thing make some great pictures.

Were I you, I'd look at the 925. It's new on AT&T and seems to be everything the 920 is with a slightly better form factor/case. Although it is 16gb as opposed to the 920's 32gb. Which might be your only true deciding factor between the two.

*shrug*

I'd get to your local AT&T store and check out both the 920 and the 925, see which one you like best. :)

but share your thought on the Lumia series versus the 8X.. If you would please..

anon(5140585)

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate detailed response, that is what I was looking for. If the 820 takes better photos than the 4s, I may be sold on it. The 925 does NOT have a MicroSD slot, which disappoints me, but not a deal breaker, but then again, it might be. Is the 920 not the heavy/bulky device I hear about?

I will have to go to the AT&T store, but I know they will try to sell me the 5s, because most of them are trained monkeys (no offense to AT&T retailers).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
but share your thought on the Lumia series versus the 8X.. If you would please..

Hmm. Ok. I was not a big fan of the 8X, but it wasn't a bad device. I didn't like the button placement, the button feedback, or the thickness of the device (it was too thin). The display was great, the camera was good, and the Beats Audio actually made a huge, wonderful difference when played through my car stereo. Unfortunately, it only had 8gb and no MicroSD slot, and every opening leaked light from the screen; I'm fairly certain that issue was addressed when they started pushing out the 16gb 8Xs on AT&T.

Aside of the light leaks, though, it was a good device. It just wasn't a good device for me.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the 920 not the heavy/bulky device I hear about?

I have not seen a Nokia Lumia device which is not heavier and bulkier than an iPhone. That said, you get used to it in no time and now - when I pick up an iPhone - it actually feels too small to me. :)

anon(5140585)

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Guess we all get use to anything at some point. I am not a fan of HTC at all, even their android devices. I read the reviews of The Verge and seems like the 925 is top dog at this point, besides the 1020. I like the housing of the 820 a lot more than any other Lumia devices. I am really in need of a bigger screen than the 4s 3.5.

Decisions, decisions… I will have to visit the store for an in person feel. If the 925 had an expandable slot, I'd be sold.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Go for a Lumia 520. All Windows Phone devices are basically the same. Spend the money you save on travelling somewhere interesting. I went to Jordan once - much better than any smart phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
generally Windows Phone work not the same, but similarly. The more expensive it gets, the nicer things you get, its fairly simple.

its hard to go wrong with the 520 with the quality to price ratio brought, but its obviously not going to be as nice as something higher up. (e.g. screen quality, camera quality, specs)
but still you won't be as far behind compared to a cheapo Android

anon(5140585)

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I like everything about the 520. Screen size, shell, specs, but the non-existent flash pushes the 520 to the back of the line. I am really starting to like the 925 a lot, but I really would like a plastic shell and 4" screen. I may just buy the 520 to hold me over until the Nokia event in October.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a 520 for a couple of weeks, it was a great phone. I rarely use flash so that wasn't a big deal. My only real complaint was that the removable back was kinda flimsy. Other than that, the 520 is a performer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I like everything about the 520. Screen size, shell, specs, but the non-existent flash pushes the 520 to the back of the line. I am really starting to like the 925 a lot, but I really would like a plastic shell and 4" screen. I may just buy the 520 to hold me over until the Nokia event in October.

My wife owns the 820. Good phone, has 1 Gig RAM, SD slot, takes good pictures and there's a work around to get Pro Cam on it so you can get all the functions available on the 9XX phones. Change the shell colours as well as wireless charging. Good size screen too. All Nokias are pretty bulky phones. If you're main focus is camera I would look at 920, 925 and 1020. It's best to see the phones in person than to gauge them online. The hump on the back is not that much of a pain. I had the Nokia N8 with the hump, wasn't an issue. I own the 920, you get used to the 'weight' though I didn't see it as an issue from the start. Comes down to what suits you really.

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 620 or 720 mid price but still expensive,, for cheapest smartphone best display and camera nokia lumia 520 but no front cam and no flash ,,, when compare to Android in the same price offer only 256 kilobytes colors display compare to 520 16 mb display and has decent camera. best display of the same price.

anon(5140585)

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I do like the size and of course the price of the 520, but I feel I need a camera flash no matter what. I may buy it just to use until the Nokia event at the end of October and see what they announce. I also like the 820, but I can only get them used and they are between 150 and 200. It would be dumb to buy an 820 at that price considering I am due for an upgrade through AT&T.

I really dont care about weight, only size. I feel the latest iPhone's weight feels extremely fragile to me, so I rather have a bulky/heavy phone. I am between the 920 and 925 at this point. I appreciate all the feedback and user experience.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I do like the size and of course the price of the 520, but I feel I need a camera flash no matter what. I may buy it just to use until the Nokia event at the end of October and see what they announce. I also like the 820, but I can only get them used and they are between 150 and 200. It would be dumb to buy an 820 at that price considering I am due for an upgrade through AT&T.

I really dont care about weight, only size. I feel the latest iPhone's weight feels extremely fragile to me, so I rather have a bulky/heavy phone. I am between the 920 and 925 at this point. I appreciate all the feedback and user experience.

The Oct event is going to release a 6" phablet and a tablet. So unless you want one of those I would start looking to see what else AT&T have to offer. Take what you feel is the best phone for you. I'd personally go into a store and see what feels right. I personally feel the 520 is for those unsure about W8. If you feel it is right then get the one you want. There's nothing wrong with 920 and the 925 is great too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077