Need To Back Up OneDrive?

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I regularly back up the local hard drive on my laptop, but as I'm considering moving a LOT of the laptop contents to OneDrive now that it gives Office 365 users a TB of storage, I'm wondering if I'll still need to back up OneDrive. Are there still risks of losing files through file corruption? Would MS ever have some kind of OneDrive meltdown that would ruin or lose my files? I don't know enough about cloud storage services and how MS operates, protects and creates redundancies on OneDrive to ensure file availability with no damage or loss, so I'm assuming it will still make sense to back up files on OD. Still, I figured I'd check with WPC readers for any thoughts or ideas. Thx ahead for any help.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I regularly back up the local hard drive on my laptop, but as I'm considering moving a LOT of the laptop contents to OneDrive now that it gives Office 365 users a TB of storage, I'm wondering if I'll still need to back up OneDrive. Are there still risks of losing files through file corruption? Would MS ever have some kind of OneDrive meltdown that would ruin or lose my files? I don't know enough about cloud storage services and how MS operates, protects and creates redundancies on OneDrive to ensure file availability with no damage or loss, so I'm assuming it will still make sense to back up files on OD. Still, I figured I'd check with WPC readers for any thoughts or ideas. Thx ahead for any help.

Entirely possible... look up EMP and what it can do. Also, there is the very remote chance MS goes completely tits up - cloud storage providers have ceased trading in the past and every byte of the stored information was lost.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been on computers since 1988, I've run a computer "lab" and used to do PC repair for income. And I'm still constantly amazed at how many times I hear, "I lost all my data!" I've advised friends, I've advised customers, and not one, to my knowledge has ever actually made a backup plan. With the cost of storage plummeting like a parachuteless skydiver, and the ubiquity of fast internet connections, I just don't get it.

In brief, it you use an AC powered computer, you need a UPS to start with. Then add an internal or external hard drive and us something like @MaxSync to run once per day while you sleep. I can pull my internal drive (1 TB for $50 new!) in two minutes when the next Florida hurricane comes. And then something like Carbonite or Crash Plan for off-site storage. My Crash Plan runs every 15 minutes, so it's very fresh. The biggest problem with cloud storage of any brand is the speed of recovering data. Very. Slow. Or, pay them $200 to Fedex you a hard drive with your data. Still several days and lots of coin. That's why you need on-site backup.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Or back up all your data on to dvd and cloud then you can make room on your laptop deleting all the files. If the cloud gets corrupted...you have the dvd as back up

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I just have my OneDrive on more than one machine. My desktop and laptop. If all three go out at once, I think we all have bigger problems.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
MS backs up your cloud Onedrive. Why are you concerned about having your own backup? Of course, if you follow my advice above, your PC's Onedrive folder will be backed up anyway.

Because one time my favorites folder was mysteriously cleared (I assume it was user error on my part) now the change had already been pushed to my devices already. Thankfully i was able to recover them from OneDrive's recycle bin, but i still keep an occasional offline backup, helps for peace of mind.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Because one time my favorites folder was mysteriously cleared (I assume it was user error on my part) now the change had already been pushed to my devices already. Thankfully i was able to recover them from OneDrive's recycle bin, but i still keep an occasional offline backup, helps for peace of mind.

That's why the goddess made Carbonite, Crash Plan, and the many others. I, too, have done what you did. That's why my advice on backing up into three locations with different attributes is so important.

You proved my point.

Dejan Zarev

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I installed recovery to 8.0 and I installed Cyan.
My phone eresly everiting.When I intalled onedrive in this nating, empety.

On the computer I see all the pictures, but the phone does not see anyting.
I can not log out, to see if this is all ok

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99