New Phones coming to Canada

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well not all Best Buy employees are well trained to sell Microsoft products... at least the one nearby anyway. Seriously you ask them a question about it and they'll look at the info panel on the table as if I'm stupid or something.

A Microsoft store is kind of like an Apple store though, except more colors.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I think you are forgetting that a lot of people may not have the comfort of putting down hundreds of dollars up front on a phone or changing phones on a whim. Also some people are perfectly fine with owning a phone for a 2-3 year period, not everyone needs the latest and greatest
Getting an "almost free" or low cost unit with a contract renewal sounds more uncomfortable to me knowing that there's a motive behind it. :)
It's cool man. This is just me.
My point is, no one really has to wait if they really want a particular phone model and worrying if it is going to be available with their carrier or not. There's always an alternative. And that is buying unlocked devices.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Getting an "almost free" or low cost unit with a contract renewal sounds more uncomfortable to me knowing that there's a motive behind it. :)
That doesn't change the fact that some people can't afford to spend over $500 bucks on the phone upfront, comfortable or not some have to face the reality. The motive is, you can't leave and you do end up paying that money back and then some, so think of it as alternative financing for your device, great or not, some people don't have wiggle room, especially if they are not willing to settle for a low-cost device and what a flagship.
My NL920 cost me $50 bucks with a contract renewal when it came out.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
An interesting example, it's like a loan but with a huge interest rate lol.

It's similar to a vehicle lease I guess in that sense, but since the phones have no residual value are typically ****ty collateral you have to pay a higher interest rate. The difference is the "payment" is not openly disclosed to you and neither is the interest on it.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It's similar to a vehicle lease I guess in that sense, but since the phones have no residual value are typically ****ty collateral you have to pay a higher interest rate. The difference is the "payment" is not openly disclosed to you and neither is the interest on it.
That is another point I am trying to make. Paying on an installment basis will cost you more at the end. You know you will have to pay for it anyway, just pay it forward and avoid the interest. Contracts have so many fine prints and more often than not, people don't bother going through those fine print and just very excited to bring home the thing that is in the contract. :)
Even my credit cards, I pay everything at the end of each cycle and I don't pay for the minimum amount due. Those credit card companies just try to fool you to pay a minimum fee so that they can make money on the interest out of the entire balance due. But this is going away from the topic. Sorry.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
That is another point I am trying to make. Paying on an installment basis will cost you more at the end. You know you will have to pay for it anyway, just pay it forward and avoid the interest. Contracts have so many fine prints and more often than not, people don't bother going through those fine print and just very excited to bring home the thing that is in the contract. :)
Even my credit cards, I pay everything at the end of each cycle and I don't pay for the minimum amount due. Those credit card companies just try to fool you to pay a minimum fee so that they can make money on the interest out of the entire balance due. But this is going away from the topic. Sorry.

I'm not arguing with you as to what ends up more expensive in the end, but I think you are ignoring the concept of cash flow! Some people end up paying more over a longer time period, because that provides them with a sustainable level of cash outflow per month compared to a one lump some payment up front, which they can't sustain.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am not referring to those people you are referring to. I am referring to the other "some people" and reminding them they have options.
Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I am not referring to those people you are referring to. I am referring to the other "some people" and reminding them they have options.
Sent from my
Nokia Lumia 1520
using Tapatalk

My bad, you asked why people wait for new phones, I explained that a lot are on contract and if you are getting a subsidy you want it on the latest phone that will be supported the length of the contract. Then you asked why people bother buying phones on contract instead of just buying unlocked cause on contract is a rip-off and I explained why some people would still do that even though many consider an on contract phone a rip-off.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
hmmm you may even see the HTC M8 Windows Phone arrive in Canada before the end of the year, so lets make it 3 phones now.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
First post:

just finished a visit to the new Microsoft Store in Calgary, Canada. I had a pretty in depth convo with some folk there and just to let you know, 2 new phones are coming to Canada very soon.

This post:
and NO im not giving you guys my source. and NO its not from just some guy in a store.
Same thing.
Funny how shop employees at what you just admitted is a new store have transformed into your "sources".

MS store employees aren't sources, they're shopkeepers. You're far too impressionable.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
First post:

I didn't say it was a shop employee. and no im not impressionable, I know a lot more than you think I know, and yes a lot of my stuff involves NDA's, this particular thing does not but im not gonna go into detail about it other than that new phones are coming. If you are not fine with that then I suggest you move along and don't post.

This post:

Same thing.
Funny how shop employees at what you just admitted is a new store have transformed into your "sources".

MS store employees aren't sources, they're shopkeepers. You're far too impressionable.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say it was a shop employee. and no im not impressionable, I know a lot more than you think I know, and yes a lot of my stuff involves NDA's, this particular thing does not but im not gonna go into detail about it other than that new phones are coming. If you are not fine with that then I suggest you move along and don't post.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Fantastic. You could've saved 6 pages of people misinterpreting your post by at least saying that in the beginning instead of trying to be all cool and cryptic, Mr. Bond.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Not everyone can afford to pay so much for a phone upfront, however. Just like you lease a car or sign a mortgage for a home: It's easier to absorb a bunch of smaller payments than one big payment upfront. If you can afford to buy unlocked, I really encourage it, but many people can't afford to do that.

Also, if you're stuck on a carrier like AT&T or Verizon (for the US, at least): then buying an unlocked phone and being off-contract won't lower your rates at all, so in many cases, you might as well buy in on contract, because you won't save anything in the long run by buying unlocked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs