New PWA apps will not work on Windows 10 Mobile

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Now MS confirms that PWA apps will not work on W10M:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-confirms-pwas-wont-be-fully-functional-on-windows-10-mobile/

PWA apps could have brought some life to back to W10M, and compensate for all the native apps that's been lost / never was there.

Google, Apple and even Microsoft have support for PWA apps in their latest browsers.

When MS decided to kill W10M why couldn't they go through with their plans to bring Edge to the Store as originally planned? And backporting the most important APIs from RS3 and RS4 as they promised. Then Edge on W10M could still be updated with not only PWA app support, but also support for new web standards and features. Like how MS core applications like Store and Outlook still get some improvements on W10M.

Since W10M users don't have the native apps, would it be too much to ask from MS that they at least kept the most important feature, the web browser, up to date for at least the same period as they support the platform with security updates?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love, and am attached to my Surface/Xbox products... Windows Mobile was an important part (for me) of UWP, which I found way more appealing than PWA.

With Microsoft hopping out of the mobile sector... the UWP and the Windows Store that made me stick to Microsoft's ecosystem has a big, gaping hole in it... and I'm afraid I'll eventually get sick of that and be replacing my Living Room HTPC, bedroom Lenovo Stick 300, Surface Book, 950XL and maybe even my Xbox One X with a iPhone X, iPad Pro, iMac and Apple TV.

I detest the day where I get onboard with a company that exploits it's users with buzzwords, but with ChromeOS being completely lackluster for a developer... Apple's the only one I can count on to provide and support whole ecosystem.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
PWAs do work on W10M; I've got Goggle maps PWA web address pinned to my start screen on my phone. Yes, it is different from just going to google maps. Is it *fully* supported? probably not, but it works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Notifications don't work but that doesn't mean PWAs as a whole don't work. The linked article itself states "not fully functional", it doesn't say they don't work.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
As much as I love, and am attached to my Surface/Xbox products... Windows Mobile was an important part (for me) of UWP, which I found way more appealing than PWA.

With Microsoft hopping out of the mobile sector... the UWP and the Windows Store that made me stick to Microsoft's ecosystem has a big, gaping hole in it... and I'm afraid I'll eventually get sick of that and be replacing my Living Room HTPC, bedroom Lenovo Stick 300, Surface Book, 950XL and maybe even my Xbox One X with a iPhone X, iPad Pro, iMac and Apple TV.

I detest the day where I get onboard with a company that exploits it's users with buzzwords, but with ChromeOS being completely lackluster for a developer... Apple's the only one I can count on to provide and support whole ecosystem.

I feel your pain. Same here. Although... I am hopeful for PWA if for no other reason than it may bring customers back to the store. I think PWA apps have a place for companies that are web based anyway like Starbucks, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Voxer. And it may even be a way for banks, credit card companies, and airlines to come to the store, where they all pretty much so ignore the store presently. The write it once for all platforms approach should be tempting for companies with apps that don't have a lot of complicated features to begin with.

That said... I don't think PWA will have staying power though if there are no mobile devices to run them on. I mean what's the point? Why not just use the full blown website if you're using a full blown laptop?

I've personally made up mind to make the big choice to abandon everything Microsoft at midnight 12/31/2018 dependent on whether there is a Surface Phone or Surface Andromeda by then, or at a very minimum a confirmation by MS that they are working on one for Spring 2019.

If/when I do make the switch I agree that Chromebooks simply don't cut it for devs. If Google came out with Android Studio for Chromebook though, that would change everything. And probably mean sure death for Visual Studio, since every kid learning programming in school would no doubt be learning it on a Chromebook using Android Studio.

For now, as much as I hate it, I agree that Apple is the one company that supports its entire ecosystem, and therefore the only logical switch for devs. I'll absolutely hate having to switch, but I've determined that if I do I'm ditching everything MS and going all in with MacBook (for development), Apple TV, iPhone, iPad Pro.

roryok

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Apple's the only one I can count on to provide and support whole ecosystem.

I don't think you can count on them either. They've basically killed off MacOS development, combining the MacOS and iOS dev teams into one, which prioritises iOS over everything else.

Sure your iPhone, iPad etc are going to get premium support, but your Macbook or Mac Pro could easily go the way of the dodo in the next five years.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can count on them either. They've basically killed off MacOS development, combining the MacOS and iOS dev teams into one, which prioritises iOS over everything else.

Sure your iPhone, iPad etc are going to get premium support, but your Macbook or Mac Pro could easily go the way of the dodo in the next five years.

Just one question: where did you learn of this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte