New Tilt ROM has 'button5 & 6'

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Hey all.

I just installed the new AT&T Tilt software/ROM update for Tilt and noticed under settings>buttons there's a "button 6" well as "push and hold" versions of all of the buttons listed.
I don't remember this being there before. In fact I specifically had to add them with a registry hack to get them with the old ROM.

Am I crazy? Or is this something new?

Note, I did skip the AT&T "craplet" installation by pressing the reset button before it 'installs customizations' at the 3 second countdown. So this may not show up if you allowed the AT&T customization step.

I've attached a (modified) screen shot of all of the button options I'm seeing.
I They're all the default settings except for button 5 & button find press/hold which I have set to my favorite SPB Pocket plus actions (context menu and close all)

I did have to disable PTT by deleting the HKLM/Services/PTT section in the registry (and reboot) in order to get my 'button 5' setting to work. Unless you do this, PTT will override it.

buttonsbz9.png

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
That is kewl, you know I have installed the original HTC ROM and the only thing I miss it the fact that CV doen't seem to open the files with real player, but my buttom 5 & 6 do work on this HTC ROM version.

McTreo

Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
I ran the upgrade, but do not have the hold option on buttons 1-5. I used PTT_kill to get rid of PTT. I also skipped the AT&T bloat-ware. I have AEbuttons plus to get the same functionality, but I wonder why the install would be different?

Mac

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Ooooh I don't know. As far as I know the update requires Windows. I'm sure there's a way to get the update extracted from the installer so you can install it directly from a MicroSD card, but I don't know how to do that off the top of my head. Nor do I know how you'd do such a thing on a mac.

All I can suggest is you take a look here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=368680
or here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=369275
To see if anyone has devised an 'alternate' install method.

I'll try to post back if I come across any solutions.

Last edited:

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
If you have a registry editor like Resco Explorer (Reg editor plug in) it's very easy. You basically delete the entire folder "PTT" at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Service\PTT
It's not enough to just change some of the values, it really just needs to be removed altogether.

1) With the reg editor, go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Service\

2) Back up your PTT settings:
Tap and HOLD the stylus on the key "PTT" to bring up the pop up menu and select "Export". It'll export the PTT settings to "PTT.reg" for you to restore later if you wish.

4)Now delete PTT (The entire thing including it's contents.)

5) Now soft-reset the Tilt. It'll boot up without PTT enabled and you can then re-assign the button assuming you've either hacked the button map in to the registry or used a program that maps it for you.

To restore PTT, just use file explorer and tap on PTT.reg that you exported. It'll automatically import in to Resco and just reset the phone. Or you can open up resco and use the import feature (same difference.)

Resco is not free (but there is a trial) and the one I recommend most. But there are free reg editors out there. Sorry I don't have one to recommend. But there is an article here on WMExperts on registry editing that is a good tutorial.

If you're looking to not have to do it manually. See if there is a .cab file that will do this on xda-developers.com or see if the program "Kaiser Tweak" might do this (I don't think it does.)

I'd be tempted to post a .cab that would do this all for you. But I haven't yet figured out how to DELETE registry keys with a cab file, just modify and add registry keys.

chestvrg#WP

Dec 13, 2007
caxo77.spaces.live.com
Thank you so much for the advice. I deleted the PTT hive in the registry, but then I was not able to remap the buttoms, so the buttoms 5 & 6 just went useless. What I did instead was to load the original HTC ROM shipped with the TyTN II which does work fine with buttom 5 & 6. Thank you again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melvas66