Next Version - LUMIA 1520 <My View>

chinmayh

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 1520 was lauched end of 2013
  • Which makes it more then a year old now
  • Yes- It still have great Hardware
  • Still matches the latest Devices - like the 930 (Except Battery, Glance etc.)

When I went to search for this phone in Mumbai India, I found the below:
  1. Out of Stock
  2. No Display / Demo Phone
  3. Demo Phone was offered at discounted price
  4. Single Color Available - At Microsoft Store (Only White)

These are signs of end of life for a product, and there cant be a wait period of 10 Months for the next model to launch.
<As per some post on WPCentral -Next flagship will be launched only in Sep-Oct 2015 with Windows Phone 10>

I agree with all 1520 fans that the phone is still a beast with outstanding hardware, but the fact remains that it is old and was ahead of its time when it was launched.

Even if MS makes minor changes to the phone design/specifications - It will sell a lot to all the consumers who are confused
<Should I wait or buy 1520>
<Many users will move away from Windows Phone - because there does not exist a flagship which has all the features>

I also read the news of a possible 1525 was fake, but after doing some more analysis - still think there will be a launch soon.

Let me know your thoughts on this - I am also confused on whether to upgrade to the 1520 from my 925.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
The good thing now is that the 1520 had an considerable price drop.
A new flagship will be much more expensive.
If the 1520 does what you want now will be a good time to buy it. (you can still buy it and it is relative cheap).
If you wait for the nee flagship you may need to wait still a few month and it will be "expensive" and in a few month it may be not possible to buy a 1520 anymore.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Be realistic. The Tech Preview for Windows 10 (for phones) hasn't even started yet. And unlike the Preview or Developers, we'll be having to deal with an OS in early stages, which is still buggy, not feature complete and far from being finished. Even when being very optimistic, I wouldn't expect Windows 10 for mobile devices to launch before late summer.
And even Microsoft told us that Win 10 is expected to be released around fall.
They could of course release a new flagship with Windows Phone 8.1, but that wouldn't make much sense imho. Tbh, I don't see a real need to rush out a new flagship anyways. The 1520 is a year old, true but the 930 is not.

chinmayh

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My only concern with the 930 is no SD Card Support and No Glance View.
I currently own a 925 and Battery and Memory are my top concerns, so 930 is not an eligible upgrade for me.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My only concern with the 930 is no SD Card Support and No Glance View.
I currently own a 925 and Battery and Memory are my top concerns, so 930 is not an eligible upgrade for me.

Not sure how the battery on a 930 performs, but as nice as Glance may be, not having it is certainly no dealbreaker. Nevertheless, the 1520 is still a great device and you can get it pretty cheap now.

chinmayh

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Visited 5-6 shops today to find out Nokia 1520 is out of stock and no updates on getting new stock :-(
I see its available online, but buying from a shop has an advantage of getting a good exchange value for existing phone.

Wish we had something like SWAPPA in India too.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Visited 5-6 shops today to find out Nokia 1520 is out of stock and no updates on getting new stock :-(
I see its available online, but buying from a shop has an advantage of getting a good exchange value for existing phone.

Wish we had something like SWAPPA in India too.

I prefer buying my devices in physical shops too. On the other hand, the Internet sometimes has better offers. And there's no doubt you're gonna find one online.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05