NFC....good or bad

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok so what's your view of NFC...good or bad...personally I think its bad... Why? I live in London and NFC is the latest crime wave. Here's what happens... When people leave their NFC on....be it through shopping for instance, there are people who stand next to you with a coded app on their phone that they made (usually on a rooted android phone) they stand next to you in the queue, lift,etc....with their phone in their hand. Bump it on your bag and "WALLAH" you have just had your money transferred from your NFC wallet to theirs. This is an up and coming crime... But what's your view on this?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Is this urban legend? I use NFC all the time to transfer info to other phones, but nothing goes without me initiating it. I know I can create NFC tags that can start up apps and stuff, but I've never had another smart device be able to pull data from my phone.

Also, when my daughter and I do tap to share stuff, there is a very distinct and audible tone on both phones...

On WP, the wallet has a PIN + to use tap to pay, you have to have a payment SIM card (provided by your carrier)... Maybe it's just android-to-android that is highly risky.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
To be honest when I saw the programme a few weeks ago it did raise a few questions myself and its not that I have read it in the papers but that programme did raise questions about it. If I leave my NFC on I can quite happily tap it to a bus stop and get the info transferred to my phone and there isn't a noise... It just pops up on screen. Makes me wonder if it works the other wag round as to explaining why this is the new cyber crime

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok so what's your view of NFC...good or bad...personally I think its bad... Why? I live in London and NFC is the latest crime wave. Here's what happens... When people leave their NFC on....be it through shopping for instance, there are people who stand next to you with a coded app on their phone that they made (usually on a rooted android phone) they stand next to you in the queue, lift,etc....with their phone in their hand. Bump it on your bag and "WALLAH" you have just had your money transferred from your NFC wallet to theirs. This is an up and coming crime... But what's your view on this?

My view on this is is that none of what you describe is feasible and you should go and read about NFC payment systems. What you describe is completely ridiculous.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
To be honest when I saw the programme a few weeks ago it did raise a few questions myself and its not that I have read it in the papers but that programme did raise questions about it. If I leave my NFC on I can quite happily tap it to a bus stop and get the info transferred to my phone and there isn't a noise... It just pops up on screen. Makes me wonder if it works the other wag round as to explaining why this is the new cyber crime

For something like transit info, it sounds like it works similar to a QR code, but you don't have to tap the resulting link.

Debit/credit card info is stored in the wallet. The MS Wallet FAQ discusses tap to send. I think you're okay using NFC to get info...

Wallet FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
For something like transit info, it sounds like it works similar to a QR code, but you don't have to tap the resulting link.

Debit/credit card info is stored in the wallet. The MS Wallet FAQ discusses tap to send. I think you're okay using NFC to get info...

Wallet FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Ahhhhh that may explain it.... I might have got the transfer bit wrong (most likely) on how the money is transfered. But its scary to think that is now a new tech crime being out there with is even more secret to the public

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers