No Free Space for Upgrades

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My daughter has a Lumia 640, running windows 10. However, it doesn't have enough free space to install any newer builds I have a 32GB SD card, and everything is stored on it(app, pictures, etc...). The main storage is 8GB, but <6GB is used by the OS. A few apps that can't be moved to SD take 400MB more, and email seems to take up another 300MB. That leaves her with about 400MB free, but windows update claims it needs ~640MB. There is literally nothing else I can delete through the storage app on the phone.

So, what can I do? I was considering doing a full reset of the phone, to see if that would free up space. But, I wanted to see if others had the same problem first.

Thanks,
A Father To An Annoyed Teenager!:unhappysweat:

D21K

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
That's weird, both my 640 and 635 are running windows 10, but the OS only takes 3,10G in both, what room are you using? :confused: did you download any language pack? those take additional space as part of the OS and the only way I know to remove them is resetting, you could remove the email account to remove those 300mb too

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My daughter has a Lumia 640, running windows 10. However, it doesn't have enough free space to install any newer builds I have a 32GB SD card, and everything is stored on it(app, pictures, etc...). The main storage is 8GB, but <6GB is used by the OS. A few apps that can't be moved to SD take 400MB more, and email seems to take up another 300MB. That leaves her with about 400MB free, but windows update claims it needs ~640MB. There is literally nothing else I can delete through the storage app on the phone.

So, what can I do? I was considering doing a full reset of the phone, to see if that would free up space. But, I wanted to see if others had the same problem first.

Thanks,
A Father To An Annoyed Teenager!:unhappysweat:

reinstall the apps such as whatsapp and instagram
Uninstall maps and language packs as has been suggested

If system storage still shows 5GB +, then a factory reset will be necessary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon