No HBO App for WP?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Too bad there is no HBO app for WP - especially with Game of Thrones coming out.

Apple struck a deal with HBO. Is MS unable to do so - or with other large players. Xbox is a media device - they are in that market. Surely they could do the same with other media companies.

Would it be in MS best interest to make the apps on behalf of certain large companies - they have deep pockets and the development staff.

Why wouldn't they?

Thoughts?

Mr. V

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I believe there is an exclusive deal for a certain length of time. I thought I read that somewhere. I don't remember where I saw it, though.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sling TV should have the new season. However, that means you're paying $35 a month just for GoT's as HBO is a $14.99 add on package. (The season lasts 3 months? Ouch.)

You're better off renting the entire season from Amazon Instant or Vudu for ~$38 and in 1080p 5.1. (I think Amazon actually offers the best quality, these days, if you can manage their +10Mbps 1080p streams.)

I think you can still stream from their website, via browser?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Amazon seems the way to go, however I am more interested as to why an app has not been developed.
I am not a big fan of watching it on a browser on my phone.

Btw - do you have the Amazon service? thoughts?

Mr. V

Sling TV should have the new season. However, that means you're paying $35 a month just for GoT's as HBO is a $14.99 add on package. (The season lasts 3 months? Ouch.)

You're better off renting the entire season from Amazon Instant or Vudu for ~$38 and in 1080p 5.1. (I think Amazon actually offers the best quality, these days, if you can manage their +10Mbps 1080p streams.)

I think you can still stream from their website, via browser?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

​That's only the new HBO Now service, which is separate from cable/satellite subscriptions.

HBO Go, on the other hand, the one you get free access to with an HBO subscription, is entirely different. There's really no excuse for not having that app available, as HBO Go is practically everywhere. As there is an HBO Go app for the Xbox though, maybe Windows 10 will bring that to the tablet and phone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Amazon seems the way to go, however I am more interested as to why an app has not been developed.
I am not a big fan of watching it on a browser on my phone.

Btw - do you have the Amazon service? thoughts?

Mr. V

I do. I have a Roku 3 and a Amazon Fire TV. I basically keep the Amazon Prime/Instant, always, and add Netflix on and off. If you happen to buy from Amazon.com, the free shipping makes it a huge value. It could almost pay for itself if you purchase regularly.

Im using SlingTV right now, too. I didn't think id use it much, but I find myself watching it alot.

I dont have cable, so that's why I use all these services. Some on and off. Im not a fan of Hulu+ though. It doesn't offer me anything worth paying for...

SlingTV + Amazon + Netflix 1 Bluray at a time = endless content. I have more than enough to watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria