No install location dialog for large Store games

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I usually install large games from Steam, Origin, UPlay, etc on my secondary drive instead of my system drive. I also remember being able to select my secondary drive when installing large games from the Windows 10 Store. This option doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

I tried installing Forza Motorsport 7 Demo today, which is a +20GB download, and the option dialog never came up. Instead it started downloading immediately, and I suppose is going to install on my main drive.

I don't want to set the secondary drive as the default app installation location since I only use it for large software like games. Most of the other apps I do install on my main drive.

The dialog box I'm talking about is similar to the one shown below (which I grabbed from the Internet). I even have that game on my library and it doesn't ask me where to install it if I try to install it either:
2_untitled_story.jpg

Does anybody know of any settings I can change to bring this dialog back?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Try going to Settings > System > "Change where new content is saved" > New Apps.
I think this is where you can change which HDD Store Apps are downloaded to.

I had Forza Motorsports Apex the other day and downloaded it to a different HDD.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings > System > "Change where new content is saved" > New Apps.
I think this is where you can change which HDD Store Apps are downloaded to.

I had Forza Motorsports Apex the other day and downloaded it to a different HDD.
Thanks Josiah23, but I want to be able to select the install drive when I click "Install" on the game Store page as shown on the screenshot I shared. I still want to have my system drive as the default install location for all other apps.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Josiah23, but I want to be able to select the install drive when I click "Install" on the game Store page as shown on the screenshot I shared. I still want to have my system drive as the default install location for all other apps.

Ahh, gotcha. I usually just have a second HDD as my default storage location for all of my applications from the store.

Edited: Mine still shows.. I was getting ready to get Forza 7 Demo and it asked me where I want it to install. Hmm

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ahh, gotcha. I usually just have a second HDD as my default storage location for all of my applications from the store.

Edited: Mine still shows.. I was getting ready to get Forza 7 Demo and it asked me where I want it to install. Hmm
Interesting that it did work for you. Then it seems there is indeed something wrong with the behavior of the Windows Store on my desktop.

Enjoy the demo!

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that it did work for you. Then it seems there is indeed something wrong with the behavior of the Windows Store on my desktop.

Enjoy the demo!

Thanks, will do.

Also. Maybe it's an update with the store? Is your store up to date? Because mine has one update available. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, will do.

Also. Maybe it's an update with the store? Is your store up to date? Because mine has one update available. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Interesting. There was no Store app update, but after a few reboots I tried installing another game, and it did come up. It seems good now.

Thanks again for the tips and the help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo