Noisy photos

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I really hope they can at least get us on par with others out there (just hope its rushed software) but after reading posts by devs, half say its hardware/limitations, and the rest say optimise the software, though I would not hope for wow, maybe just a bit better.

Either way, I have no idea how it pasted any QC when it came to the testing phase, it looks like a phonecam from a few year back when shooting low light videos.
This month Sony introduced the HDR-MV1 Camcorder into the market ($299). The company touts both the good audio quality and the above average low-light video quality.

Sony advertising video

Fusion Improvisation

Night shots

The HDR-MV1 has a 16 megapixel backlit sensor and Zeiss optics. Is it unfair towards the 1520 to compare the both devices in terms of low-light video?

Of course the HDR-MV1 has its own flaws, it did not even get a zoom..

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I would dare say the aperture/LS is much bigger on the camcorder, not a fair thing really.

When making a new phone you want to better or at least equal the rival phones, and when it comes to low light videos I have watched enough videos to see that these phones beat it no problem.
HTC one/Note 3/IP5/Sony z1/SGS4....tbh all the high end phones beat it.

Really hope they can sort this, I dont even try to film in low light with the 1520, really is no point its that bad.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I would dare say the aperture/LS is much bigger on the camcorder, not a fair thing really.
Oops, you are right, somehow I was focused on the MP only and completely forgot to look at the other specs.

Really hope they can sort this, I dont even try to film in low light with the 1520, really is no point its that bad.

I took kevm14's comment here as his fear that the 1520's problem with low-light videos could be the result of wrong technical conception decisions by Nokia.

Would you agree on this?

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well it could well be, its that bad that I cannot see how much better they can make it, but at the same time did no one try test it at Nokia? I mean like sit in a room and turn it on, I mean its not like its hard to miss.

Again hopes rest on rushed software rather than HW, and best thing you can do is speak to Nokia, live chat/tweet/email complain, more that do the faster you will see any software updates.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If the S800 is capable of down-sampling all 16MP to a 1080p frame, but perhaps it uses a lot of battery to do so, I would like to see a "high quality" setting with a warning that it will consume a lot of battery power while doing so. Whenever engineering makes a trade that some users might object to, it would be nice to have the option to change the setting (even if it's not the default). Of course I don't universally hold this belief but in the case of something like this, I definitely do.

Given the focus on AUDIO quality while shooting video, I think the current situation seems unacceptable (insofar as the user cannot select a higher quality output setting). It's not like Nokia can really get away with "well this sensor/phone was made for shooting stills." Even if that's true from a technical standpoint (rather than marketing).

Still, I think it could be said that while the video performance may be below average, the photo performance is above average. The audio quality while shooting video is also above average.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
The low light video side is shock, I just cannot get my head round how this was given the GO for the new flagship phone.

Its not like one of those vs videos where you watch and can see some good and bad points but both are almost on par image wise, this is WTF level, the moment you turn it on in low light its right there, the image is worse than phones from a few years ago.

The only thing I can think of is that it was built in a open top factory in a desert someplace, where workers only test stuff in the day.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If the S800 is capable of down-sampling all 16MP to a 1080p frame, but perhaps it uses a lot of battery to do so, I would like to see a "high quality" setting with a warning that it will consume a lot of battery power while doing so. Whenever engineering makes a trade that some users might object to, it would be nice to have the option to change the setting (even if it's not the default). Of course I don't universally hold this belief but in the case of something like this, I definitely do.

Given the focus on AUDIO quality while shooting video, I think the current situation seems unacceptable (insofar as the user cannot select a higher quality output setting). It's not like Nokia can really get away with "well this sensor/phone was made for shooting stills." Even if that's true from a technical standpoint (rather than marketing).

Still, I think it could be said that while the video performance may be below average, the photo performance is above average. The audio quality while shooting video is also above average.

They did the video oversampling with the 808 a while ago and the battery drain isn't all that bad and that one has to oversample 41 million pixels. I haven't tested how long it can record 1080p for but I am pretty sure it can do at least 90 mins on a 1400mah battery

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If they could get it to the video level of the Z1 I would be happy, but as it is the 1520 is not worth using for videos once you begin to lose daylight or shoot indoors with low light.

I can tell you that mere parity with the Z1 is all that should be reasonably expected. It has a slightly larger sensor and a wider aperture.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to tell from that. It seems to me the lighting conditions could be a bit more uniform on the after video. Both are shot somewhat into the direction of the sun which is making it hard to get a good exposure in either the shadows or highlights.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That looks good for something shot in near total darkness. I think a better test would be dim indoor lighting, which rarely looks good with any video camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12