Nokia and Microsoft really f-ing blew it.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Who buys a phone on Black Friday? Seriously.

Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. Something happens on BF and people just lose their heads and will buy absolutely anything that has a marked down price and they will stand in line for it. Doesn't matter what it is, if a person can afford it and if it costs less on BF, that person will buy it.

It almost seems like MS wants to fail. The focus was all W8 and oh ya, we have this mobile thing too but we can't get our sh** together and give you any correct info. They just threw it out and hoped something stuck. I don't blame Nokia for any of it. They are itching to get phones out and MS and mobile retailers can't pull their collective heads out of their a** long enough to find a compete thought. This should be added to the "epic fail" of MS. Somebody needs to explain "strike while the iron is hot" to MS. They will never get the market share to compete at this rate. It wouldn't surprise me to see BB10 get the #3 slot back in February.

I would have to agree. It seems like Microsoft doesn't have any hope of success in their own products. People can't buy a WP8 device with their Surface if they can't see the device in that far corner that nobody sees. If you live in Boston, you can see Surface ads all over town, I mean they are everywhere.. Just go to Park Street station. And so far, I've only seen 3 WP ads over town. One of them on AT&T store.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's possible Nokia does not have capacity to manufacture the quantity needed that quickly. Parts might not be available either.

My guesses too. Nokia lost the second factory that made phones that covered the whole Europe's demand. So now Beijing has to cover all regions.

Also, certain parts being unavailable is also one of the more common reasons for delays.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It won't matter if come earnings time Nokia says they sold all the 920s they could make. Investors will ask why couldn't you make more.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Such doom and gloom.

If another device has shortages, it must be because of demand. Thus, it spells impending doom for WP.

If WP has shortages, it's because of an inability to compete, thus spelling impending doom.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And who says people won't wait for Windows Phone?

I wasn't aware that "people" was a monolithic being that broadcasted its every whim and intention.

The fact is that we don't know what will happen. We can make a judgment after the fact.

Predictions, when stated like a fact, of future doom and gloom shows more about the predictor's personality than it does on reality.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It won't matter if come earnings time Nokia says they sold all the 920s they could make. Investors will ask why couldn't you make more.

Nokia does not have sufficient cash to pay companies like Foxconn to dedicate several factories specifically for manufacturing the 920. Apple and Samsung have that kind of cash, but none of the other OEMs do.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
thus they will always be small fry.
Nokia needs to rebuild. Once it starts selling more devices it will be able to expand capacity. Expansion costs money.

It is also better to sell out of what is made, rather than have excess inventory sitting around in a warehouse. RIM learned that lesson with the Playbook tablet. The Playbook tablets are still sitting around in warehouses even though RIM marked them down and took a write-off for the excess inventory.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if OP is more worried about his stock prices than anything else.

Anyway, in terms of MS, Sinofsky may have been part of the problem. We won't know for sure at the moment, but a lot of talk is coming out that his style of running things wasn't exactly the greatest and most efficient.

Nokia shut down it's local factories (the last Finland based one was shut down in the summer) so I'm sure moving the production processes elsewhere takes some time and can't be done overnight.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no I'm concerned about the survival of Windows Phone. MS won't keep pumping money into a loser forever. Just because it worked for Xbox does NOT mean they will do it for WP.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no I'm concerned about the survival of Windows Phone. MS won't keep pumping money into a loser forever. Just because it worked for Xbox does NOT mean they will do it for WP.
How do we know that?

If Microsoft abandons mobile, it might as well go out of business.

Mobile is the future, not desktop PCs. Microsoft has to stay with mobile if it wishes to stay in business ten years from now.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
that could have been from two years ago...."WP7 is new give it time"

did that....MS dropped us like a hot potato.

if we are saying two years from now "WP9 is new, give it some time" it is time to hang up the gloves and just stop.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
that could have been from two years ago...."WP7 is new give it time"

did that....MS dropped us like a hot potato.

if we are saying two years from now "WP9 is new, give it some time" it is time to hang up the gloves and just stop.

If you can't understand the reasoning behind why Microsoft scrapped WP7 for WP8, and how that decision is much better for them as a whole, then it will be hard to find some common ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb