Nokia built an Android phone to ensure the company?s sale to Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has been prepping a low-end Android phone that is close to being ready for commercial release. The handset, code-named Normandy, is an entry-level device resembling some of the recent Asha budget phones that were successful enough to halt Nokia?s feature phone unit volume and average sales price erosion in the autumn quarter.

nokia-normandy.jpg

There was buzz in Helsinki that Nokia had used a very specific form of leverage to force Microsoft to buy the entire handset unit, including the massive low-end feature phone operation that is not a natural fit with Microsoft?s smartphone ambitions. That leverage was proof that Nokia had an Android development program that was able to produce a competitive low-end device able to go toe to toe with Micromax, Karbonn and other dirt cheap Android brands.

Normandy may be the device that Nokia used to bludgeon Microsoft into buying both smartphone and feature phone operations.

Untitled.png

Once Nokia had reached the decision to unload its smartphone unit, it was crucial for the company to also find a simultaneous buyer for the low-end feature phone unit. Only that way could Nokia start getting aggressive on pressing its patent claims on rival handset vendors. Exiting phone business completely meant Nokia no longer needed cross-licensing deals that dilute its IP revenue.

Since feature phones face the possibility of imminent sales collapse sometime in 2014 or 2015, finding a buyer for only the budget phone unit was always going to be extremely hard, if not impossible. That meant Microsoft was the only plausible buyer for the low-end handsets.

Normandy may have been a weapon. It may have been the strategic threat used to demonstrate to Microsoft that Nokia was on track to begin Android phone adoption if Microsoft would not play ball.

For Elop?s future ambitions within Microsoft, retaining the combination of Nokia?s smartphone and feature phone units was important. Now that Microsoft owns Nokia?s massive budget phone whale, the overall handset unit is going to be such a big part of Microsoft that Elop will gain a tremendous amount of power internally even if he does not become the CEO.

Source: BGR

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
That's very much possible. But assuming this means it was Nokia's idea to sell devices division to Microsoft. Or maybe Microsoft approached them for partial purchase, and Nokia forced the remainder on Microsoft. Either way, dividing up the devices division could have been a disaster. Purchasing it fully was for the best imho.

But I doubt feature phones will have a sales collapse in 2014 or 2015. I expect it to be dragged for many more years, until the developing countries populations are saturated with phones.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has been prepping a low-end Android phone that is close to being ready for commercial release.

From what I understand, this is not "officially" an Android device and Nokia doesn't have the permission from Google to market it as such. It will be as much an Android device as is the Amazon Kindle. Both are based on the Android OS, but they do not use the Android ecosystem. The two most notable omissions (of many) will be Google Maps and the Google Play store. Instead, Nokia will setup its own app store, similar to what Amazon has done.

Technically this is Android, but only technically. For most consumers, the Amazon Kindle isn't an Android device either. It remains to be seen if consumers view this as an Android device (assuming it even comes to market). I suspect they will not, and if they do, Google will step in to ensure that changes.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Though I would believe they used Android as a negotiating piece with MSFT they would not have had to actually build a device to make their point. I wouldn't put too much faith in the existence of the device pictured above. Again though, ya gotta give hats off to Nokia being able to establish the Lumia brand name. It's completely OS independent.

To be honest, if this device did exist it would not surprise me to see MSFT release it. Their objective is to make profit, not take sides.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Anything involving Microsoft from BGR I take with a grain of salt. Just about every sentence starts with "might have" or "may be" or "could be". It's all speculation without any evidence to back it up. I read an article that pretty much summed it up the way a5cent explained it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia's Android Phone Due in 2014? - Check this article

Yay!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Its just a rumor now and moreover even if they launch it with android...it will be a stripped out version without any access to Google services like Google play..google maps etc !!

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Its just a rumor now and moreover even if they launch it with android...it will be a stripped out version without any access to Google services like Google play..google maps etc !!

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

You mean it'd be like selling a chocolate without any chocolate inside it!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss