Nokia Lumia 1520 signal issues

Izabela Trifonova

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello :)

I bought my Nokia Lumia 1520 about 3 weeks ago. It has the international Hong Kong version. Since the first day I've been experiencing signal issues. Sometimes I can't even get a 3G or H+ signal! It keeps dropping on Edge. I tried the same SIM card on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and it has perfect 3G signal ! I tried with a reset, manual preference for network and it still gives the same output.. I tried the same SIM card even on Samsung Galaxy Core and Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and they still have a better signal..

So..what should I do? Did anyone else have the same problem..is there any fix..?

Thank you!

Last edited:

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the same unit as you, 1520 HK variant and I've had that problem ever since I got it. Did you set your highest connection speed on SIM+cellular? Also, are you in Cyan? When I updated to Cyan, data connection has been working perfectly well.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I only know 1 possible fix for this, and it's what I've been doing when I was on DP with these issues. First turn on cellular data, then turn airplane mode on (do not turn off cellular data), then after a few seconds turn airplane mode off. It should give you a 3G or H signal. Sometimes it might require a few tries to work. I hope it works for you.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I also have a 1520hk and have the same issue but i don't think it is related to hk really. I read this is an issue of the 1520. If you are in Hong Kong whatever you do just don't do like me. I also had an issue with the lcd so i took it to Nokia care in hk. They fixed it after 3 weeks because they didn't have the parts in stock. When i came to collect it they mentioned to me they changed the motherboard which at first i thought was nice from their side. I have no idea if it fixed the network issue because after i got it back the phone started to freeze and reboot like 15 times in the 24h i kept it. Of course i brought it back and now i don't have it for the last 2 weeks and no news from Nokia so far... they said they will change the motherboard again and the casing as well (which of course they don't have in stock so another 2 weeks to order)...

Izabela Trifonova

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I only know 1 possible fix for this, and it's what I've been doing when I was on DP with these issues. First turn on cellular data, then turn airplane mode on (do not turn off cellular data), then after a few seconds turn airplane mode off. It should give you a 3G or H signal. Sometimes it might require a few tries to work. I hope it works for you.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try with this one :)

Izabela Trifonova

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I also have a 1520hk and have the same issue but i don't think it is related to hk really. I read this is an issue of the 1520. If you are in Hong Kong whatever you do just don't do like me. I also had an issue with the lcd so i took it to Nokia care in hk. They fixed it after 3 weeks because they didn't have the parts in stock. When i came to collect it they mentioned to me they changed the motherboard which at first i thought was nice from their side. I have no idea if it fixed the network issue because after i got it back the phone started to freeze and reboot like 15 times in the 24h i kept it. Of course i brought it back and now i don't have it for the last 2 weeks and no news from Nokia so far... they said they will change the motherboard again and the casing as well (which of course they don't have in stock so another 2 weeks to order)...
No, I'm not in Hong Kong, I just bought the phone on the internet and it happened to have the HK version..

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
FWIW my 1520 doesn't get as strong of signals as my 925 did. But it is better than a 521 a friend has. Maybe the metal band around the 925 helps a little.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786