Nokia Lumia 1520 vs. HTC One M8 for Windows

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yes, I understand that these two phones are in completely different categories of phones. 5-in. to 6-in. is a big difference. But I'm still curious to see what you think.

Nokia Lumia 1520-
6- inch 1080p IPS LCD ClearBlack-368ppi
Snapdragon Qualcomm 800-2.2GHz-Adreno 330 GPU(I'm pretty sure, can't quite remember I'm going off of memory)
2GB RAM
32GB mass memory-expandable with microSD up to 64GB(I believe with software updates this became 128GB)
3,400mAh battery-not removable-qi charging built in
20mp PureView camera/2mp front facing camera-LED flash.
209g-8.7mm
Colorful unibody plastic build-screen slightly protrudes to give the illusion of the glass being draped over the body
Volume rocker/power/two-stage camera on left side
Capacitive physical trio of buttons along bottom(back/home/search)
EDIT: Mono speaker that provides decent quality but nothing special

HTC One M8:
5-inch 1080p IPS LCD-441 ppi
Snapdragon Qualcomm 801-2.3GHz-Adreno 330 GPU(again just going off of memory)-separate chip to control camera
2GB RAM
32GB mass memory-expandable with microSD up to 128GB
2,600mAh battery-not removable-no qi capabilities
Duo Camera-4 Ultrapixel(four megapixels set to 2.0 microns) with secondary camera and sensors-5mp front facing camera-dual-tone LED flash
160g-9.3mm
Ingenious 90% aluminum unibody design with thin plastic strips for connectivity, rounded edges for a supremely comfortable feel and brushed metal effect
Volume rocker/power button on left side
On screen software keys(back/home/search)
EDIT: Dual front-facing Boomsound speakers that provide exceptional tone, bass and volume.

Those are all the specs I think you need to know-which one is your favorite? Mind you, it'd be great if you could leave Lumia bias out of this thread, because I know a lot of people are solidly Nokia devices-for whatever reason.

I love the screen on the 1520, and the size.
But the One M8's design is fantastic.

The 1520 gives amazing picture quality-and the denim update should fix speed issues and HDR mode/panorama.
But the HTC has lots of cool features with its camera.

Notice: I'd provide all of the camera specs too such as lens size and aperture but I don't think anyone here really cares about that and if they do they've probably looked it up already.

Etc. etc. What's your preference?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Bias aside I feel like the m8 has a few standout features but Lumia has a proven track record from an OEM who has supported the platform heavily and it is the all around full package.

Denim will likely push the Lumia camera ahead of the m8 even further since a lot of new features are pretty cool.

Go Lumia I say....after all HTC past track record is not the best and Lumia is made for photography so it hands down is better in that department.

(cue the m8 fans ready to bash anything Lumia lol)

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile so this is the exact debate I'm having barring some mystery announcement in the next few weeks. My only concern is whether the swype keyboard would be usable with one hand.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile so this is the exact debate I'm having barring some mystery announcement in the next few weeks. My only concern is whether the swype keyboard would be usable with one hand.
I just used swipe keyboard to write this message to you with no issue on my 1520 ;)

Contrary to what people say about the size this phone can be used one handed and you can easily swipe ;)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer the design (and size) of the M8, as well as the fact that it has a much better set of speakers.

I don't know how long it's been since I've had a phone with a decent set of speakers.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I actually prefer the design (and size) of the M8, as well as the fact that it has a much better set of speakers.

I don't know how long it's been since I've had a phone with a decent set of speakers.
Simple and true. Oh gosh did I forget to include the speakers? That's a huge part! Yes, everyone, the speakers are absolutely amazing on the One M8. I'll edit that now. I prefer the size of the 1520 but the One M8 does have a better feel...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Simple and true. Oh gosh did I forget to include the speakers? That's a huge part! Yes, everyone, the speakers are absolutely amazing on the One M8. I'll edit that now. I prefer the size of the 1520 but the One M8 does have a better feel...
The one is a bit too slippery and narrow to me. I definitely prefer the build and feel of the 1520

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Both phones are nice in their own way. The M8 looks great with it's uni-body aluminium materials and the speakers are the best on any 'phone, but it's slippery and the camera isn't great. But there's something satisfying when holding the Lumia 1520. The feel, the look (Classic Lumia design), that screen, and the camera. Materials aside, both units are very well built.

I went with the Lumia 1520, after a dreadful time with the Lumia 930, and I love it. The M8 design and Speakers wasn't enough for me to buy it.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Several reasons to buy both of them.

Some of my reasons are subjective because of my usage but most I have seen first hand from both devices in my area

Screen size.. 1520 it's larger and easier to see

Screen clarity.. M8 higher ppi is much better and text is sharper

Screen response... M8 no tap/scroll issues

Speakers.. M8 no phone except the M8 has boom sound dual speakers

IR blaster.. M8 while this may seem to be a gimmick by 1 or 2 people here, for those of us who actually use it it is very important

Camera.. For certain usages the 1520 is better for others the M8 does better right now. Will depend on future updates

Portability... The M8 wins hands down

Telephone call quality.. The M8 is better not only because of the better internals but for the speaker phone

Radios reception.. The M8 is more capable of latching on and having more bars in out of the way places.

Wi-Fi.. The M8 again gets better throughput and gets better down/upload speeds

Battery life.. Subjective but I have gotten better battery life on the M8

Build quality.. The M8

Accessories... The M8 hands down

Ease of use.. The M8

The 1520 to me is better at gaming namely because of the screen size. It is better for taking landscape pictures and any other pictures where high details are needed in landscape.

The M8 does better low light macros and low light video

Depending on how you use your phone and what you need for everyday use both phones are great at what they do.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I would have to say that most of your reasons are subjective.

I would like to ask and maybe you can give us a demo of the video capability of the M8. And I mean as it pertains to video quality, but more so audio quality. It has been my experience that the 1520 has the best audio of any phone I have ever had. With the iPhone 5s being a close second. Interested to hear about the iPhone 6 plus as well. I remember in high volume situations my Galaxy S5 would distort.
This is an example before the latest improvements. I should have had the 100hz filter off.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I would have to say that most of your reasons are subjective.

I would like to ask and maybe you can give us a demo of the video capability of the M8. And I mean as it pertains to video quality, but more so audio quality. It has been my experience that the 1520 has the best audio of any phone I have ever had. With the iPhone 5s being a close second. Interested to hear about the iPhone 6 plus as well. I remember in high volume situations my Galaxy S5 would distort.
This is an example before the latest improvements. I should have had the 100hz filter off.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F100125425&token=Dc3omLST

The audio recording I didn't compare nor list and do agree it's much better than the m8, however playback on the device is a no brainer.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This is not really for me it's more for future Windows owners or people looking to upgrade!(;
I love both these devices...so I want others to know about them. I started a new thread called "Should You Buy The HTC One M8 for Windows?" That I want to become a poll. The One M8 is a more universally accepted device(size and brand) and I want to get it out there. The more people who buy it the more chance of more OEM's and no one here can say that's a bad thing, haha.
First things first: MICROSOFT MAKE THE STUPID PHONE INTERNATIONAL STOP WITH YOUR EXCLUSIVE BULL. cough cough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte