Nokia Lumia 822 Charging Port Breaking?

Joshua Kohler

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, my Nokia Lumia 822's charging port is constantly breaking. This will be the third time I have to replace this phone because it has randomly stopped charging. It charged fine, early this morning, but when I plugged it in a bit ago it stopped. Does anyone else, that has an 822, have this problem too? Is it just me? Do I not treat my phone well enough or is it just a flaw in the phone itself?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
We had a thread by a user the other day stating the same problem with his 822. Though he noticed increased play in his. This is the first I've seen for a 822.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you positive it is not the cable/charger? I know it's probably a silly question...

That being said - over my last several phones, I always felt that the charging port was always the weak link. Interestingly, I carried my Trophy for full 2 years and it never had a problem, but I got the wireless charging back for the 822 as soon as I could. :|

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 810 had the same issue. I took the phone apart and remove the charging port and found 1 of the 5 pins to be broken and that was the culprit. I have ordered parts from Digi Key but they have not yet arrived. I plan to fix the phone on Monday of next week. I agree that wireless charging back can solve the issue but the connection to the computer will still be a bit of a problem. Once the micro USB is fixed, I do plan to add a wireless charging shell. I got the Nokia DT-900 charging plate on order as well.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had mine 6 months and had this exact problem too. I bought the wireless charging back. I was annoyed at this and feel a little better I'm not the only one with this problem

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine is having the same problem, even sent it to Nokia to get fixed but it came back the exact same way I sent it. Kinda dumb to have to spend money on wireless charging stuff to fix a problem that's not really my fault.

mjmartin01

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My 822 started having problems charging...It's so frustrating. I've had the phone just over a year....I think it's a pain that they don't make things the way they used to. Good thing our contract is up soon because I'll be getting a different phone

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I fixed the Lumia 810 charging port. I bought a broken Lumia 822 a few minutes ago on eBay and will let you know if I am able to fix it. If I can, then I will post an update here. You can then PM me and I can see if I can help you out. Part is about $5. See if you can find someone who is comfortable with PCB fool around.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Charger at an angle indicates one of the 5 pins is either damaged, loose or broken. The best solution is to replace the port. I have now fixed 2 Lumia 810s and two Lumia 822s without any issues.

bowulf

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I too am having the same problem. Anyone want to document the repair procedures? I would be grateful because this is first I have had go belly up simply because the charging port is flaky. Mine won't charge 90% of the time anymore.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Last month we gave my step-daughter the 822 that I bought on launch day, and passed on to my wife when I got my 928 on launch day. Now, a month after the warranty is up, it is having the same problem - it only charges when you hold pressure on the cord, pushing it toward the front of the phone. I wonder if there's a way to fix it... She's looking to get the wireless charging stuff now.

bowulf

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
One more option would be to charge the battery outside the phone. I know that defeats the purpose of having the phone always available, but $7 (shipping included) beat the $50+ I would have paid for a replacement battery cover and Qi charging pad. Here is a link to the charger I purchased:
New Battery Ccharger for Nokia BP 4W BP4W Lumia 810 T Mobile 822 Verizon US Plug | eBay
I suppose a side-benefit is no calls in the middle of the night as it charges or having a spare charged battery on the road.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
One thing I'm wondering is if the 822 is the only Lumia phone having this charging port issue, or if other models have this issue as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss