Nokia Lumia 920 buying confusion

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I didn't think it would be so hard to find a phone.
Lucky I know how to read between the lines.

This is what I've found so far. I think.
No matter what the listing says.

The phones I've found so far are more then likely international models with zero warranty in the US.
The only warranty is with the seller if they even offer a warranty.
Even some of the phones listed as AT&T are still international models if you read the listing really close.

Even some sellers with US in the description aren't phones for the US market.
In alot of cases it just means that seller is in the US.
I also see phones listed as factory refurbished, but if this is true why isn't a warranty listed.

What im not sure about is seller refurbished.
I think the meaning varies by seller.

I will do corrections on this thread as I do alot more research.
Hopefully I'm wrong on some of it.
Now I still need to check a bunch more sellers so my findings might change.

Is the failure rate high enough on this model to worry about not having a factory warranty.?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You talk about listings and other information but provide no links so it's hard to comment on what you're referring to.

Unless you're buying a new L920 (if there is such a thing) you won't be getting much of a factory warranty because the model will be 2 years old in November and is discontinued this year.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love my 920, I would not recommend it when you have better options out there. Its bothersome to have to babysit the battery..

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
You talk about listings and other information but provide no links so it's hard to comment on what you're referring to.

Unless you're buying a new L920 (if there is such a thing) you won't be getting much of a factory warranty because the model will be 2 years old in November and is discontinued this year.

Thanks, I will be buying a brand new 920.
Hopefully.

I'm not going to provide links. It would be way too many, but I will post my results.
I'm checking every eBay seller, plus I'm also checking every seller I find on the net.
So it will take a few days or so of research.
I might have one or maybe two sources for new US models, hopefully.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love my 920, I would not recommend it when you have better options out there. Its bothersome to have to babysit the battery..

Thanks,
My budget is around $200, and the main reason I'm buying it is for the camera.
It also needs to work on AT&T network.
So that's why I chose the 920.

Did the 920 have battery problems?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,
My budget is around $200, and the main reason I'm buying it is for the camera.
It also needs to work on AT&T network.
So that's why I chose the 920.

Did the 920 have battery problems?

The L920 is a hit and miss phone. It can be great or it can be a complete and utter pain. The battery is not fantastic but that normally depends on what you plan to use it for. I find my battery last the longest when all my background tasks are off and data is off.

Typically any use of data or GPS will kill the L920 battery quickly. There have been and still are issues with the camera but that all depends on how picky you are with your pictures. If you're pedantic I'd avoid the L920 as you may be disappointed.

Just keep in mind that you're not likely to have any or limited warranty and updates will probably stop after W10. Buying an ex-carrier phone is a bad idea. You're best buying a country variant.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Battery has been bad for me...phone heats up and battery level changes every time I reboot, a lot of times drops by 15%...sent to Nokia twice, waiting to hear back from them on what they are going to do...if the battery didn't give me problems, the phone is rock solid, fast and takes great pictures...

aseferian

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My 920's battery life is decent if I'm in an area with a strong AT&T signal. If not, it drains quickly. All-in-all, a great phone still serving me well after 2 years.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My friend has a 920, its not that great. The battery doesn't last long and the camera isn't actually that good. It'd be best to save up a little more and get the 830. It's a lot better. The Lumia 920's camera really isn't any better than the iPhone 4S.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
. The Lumia 920's camera really isn't any better than the iPhone 4S.
As a former iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S owner, as well as a 920, 1020, and now 1520 owner, I must correct you in saying the 920's Pureview camera is MILES ahead and much, MUCH better than the iPhone 4S' camera... especially in low light conditions. It's not just my personal opinion either. I know the majority of users here will agree... there must be something wrong with your friend's 920 (or he just doesn't know how to use it) , because even the iPhone 5's camera cant measure up to the 920 in certain situations.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
My friend has a 920, its not that great. The battery doesn't last long and the camera isn't actually that good. It'd be best to save up a little more and get the 830. It's a lot better. The Lumia 920's camera really isn't any better than the iPhone 4S.

This past weekend I was able to compare my L920 to my moms L520, brothers Galaxy S3 and aunt's iphone 4s...my brother's and my L920 took great pictures, there was a window behind us and it compensated perfectly. The iphone looked washed out and the people look faded...my wife has the 1020 which is amazing, but didn't have the phone in her pocket, so mine was the next best thing

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You know what I find most amusing about the whole camera debate. It's that no one really processes photos anymore. They post the on social network sites. Share them over the internet and so on and yet people go on about quality. Yes a good picture is nice and quality is important some simple processing fixes a lot of things and in most cases people won't notice.

Though cameras are important these day the key thing is what you do with your smartphone. If you're using it as a portable camera for positing pictures to your social networks then the L920 might be ok. I've owned one for two years and haven't had the best experience. It is in no way a good all round phone, it's very average in most regards. It's been a bit of roller coaster for a lot of people with this phone, myself included.

If you're keen on the L920, then get it but be prepared that things may not be perfect because it's not a perfect phone.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
It really would be best to get a newer device. The 920 is outdated. There's the 1520, the 930/Icon, 730/735, and the 830. Those are all very good devices. If you're set on the 920, go ahead, but you may turn out disappointed in the long run, especially if you update it to 8.1.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. You gave me alot to think about.
I'm not going to waste my money on a new 920.
The battery issues worries me the most, and buying a new phone with no warranty.

I don't think we are going to see a new Lumia 900 series for AT&T until Windows 10 comes out.
So I'm going to save my money and wait.
If we see a 1020 replacement that will be my first choice.

So in the mean time I took the gamble on a used 920 in like new condition for a very good price.
If I don't like it I will resell it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte