Nokia Lumia 930 camera button travel different from other buttons?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I got my Nokia Lumia 930. I am very happy with it! It is really way more than I expected!

First I am still in doubt whether or not to get a case or a pouch. I did that for my Lumia 820 and that is now (after almost two years of use) in pristine condition! (My girlfriend is happy with that.) But sometimes it would have been easier not having the case. It feels like I am making a nice device ugly. :)

Reason for posting this topic is in the title: the camera button feels somewhat different compared to the other buttons on the device. The travel of the buttons is different. It sticks out of the device slightly more. Is this normal for the camera button? It seems to have three positions 0, 1 and 2. With 0 not being pressed, 1 half way and 2 completely pressed down. Is this to enable a different position for focusing and a different position for actually taking the photo? Or is this "broken" and should I return the device?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that the case with a Lumias with camera buttons? The 1 position, as you described it, allows you to focus. A full-press would take the shot without focusing.

Ashish Mohta

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I have used 920, 1020 and even 820.They camera buttons is of the same height as others. What you say is right for the camera button that there is a half way press and that's to be used when you want to first focus and then take a picture. I am guessing is that because of this half press you feel that the button is sticking out.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Is this your first Windows Phone? Because every one with the camera button has had the 2 stage press. Half way down focuses the pic (as a real camera) all the way down takes the photo. All the other buttons are up or down. Fairly sure it's mentioned in the manual.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't only feel like it is sticking out, one can actually see that it is sticking out more than other buttons. Just checked it: the Lumia 520 and 820 have it as well. The 900 doesn't seem to have it. On this 930 it is more pronounced.

Just wondering if people share that experience and noticed it as well.

And no, this is not my first Windows Phone :) Had a Samsung Omnia 7, Lumia 820, Lumia 920, Lumia 520 and now this 930. And my girlfriend has had a Lumia 800 and a 900. I know about the functionality (should have made that more clear), but never noticed the difference in how much the button is sticking out. And after comparing them: this is the phone where the difference is the biggest.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, gotcha. On my 925 the camera button feels loose/wobbles compared to the others.
My advice, go into a store where they sell them and have a go with another to compare.
If still not happy just exchange it, you've only just got it.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll do that, but so far it doesn't sound like it is really different on other 930's. Still very happy with it!

I'll have to arrange some things for it anyway. A flip case probably, active car holder and I think I am eligible for getting a wireless charging pad.

Now the battery is dead. But that seems more a wp8.1 issue.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, in the UK you get a wireless charging pad and speaker as well as ?20 store credit.
I was going to get one but took too long after announcement and doesn't seem too much of a upgrade over my 925.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Every decent camera button is two stage, this is a feature, definitely not a bug :p When you press it halfway down it focuses, when you press it all the way down it snaps the photo. My 920's camera button sticks out a bit more than the other buttons too, this is probably totally normal and just has to do with allowing enough travel to use the two stage-button properly.

Here in Finland we don't get any sweet extras with the phone... that's why I'm sorta wondering whether I should buy the 930 now with a 50? voucher I have to this tech store (bringing price to 500?) or whether I should wait for some sweet deals to appear... That said, with the voucher I can pretty much get myself a wireless charging pad or something without paying more than the normal price of the device :p

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Every decent camera button is two stage, this is a feature, definitely not a bug :p When you press it halfway down it focuses, when you press it all the way down it snaps the photo. My 920's camera button sticks out a bit more than the other buttons too, this is probably totally normal and just has to do with allowing enough travel to use the two stage-button properly.

Here in Finland we don't get any sweet extras with the phone... that's why I'm sorta wondering whether I should buy the 930 now with a 50€ voucher I have to this tech store (bringing price to 500€) or whether I should wait for some sweet deals to appear... That said, with the voucher I can pretty much get myself a wireless charging pad or something without paying more than the normal price of the device :p

I think the OP came from other devices, where there is no camera button, of the auto-focus cannot be performed using the camera button.

johnmwingnut

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I got my Nokia Lumia 930. I am very happy with it! It is really way more than I expected!

First I am still in doubt whether or not to get a case or a pouch. I did that for my Lumia 820 and that is now (after almost two years of use) in pristine condition! (My girlfriend is happy with that.) But sometimes it would have been easier not having the case. It feels like I am making a nice device ugly. :)

Reason for posting this topic is in the title: the camera button feels somewhat different compared to the other buttons on the device. The travel of the buttons is different. It sticks out of the device slightly more. Is this normal for the camera button? It seems to have three positions 0, 1 and 2. With 0 not being pressed, 1 half way and 2 completely pressed down. Is this to enable a different position for focusing and a different position for actually taking the photo? Or is this "broken" and should I return the device?

I have got to say, I am slightly concerned with the buttons on mine. I am on my second L930 now, as first one had screen issues. Now my second one, the camera one makes a loud click sound during first stage and then second stage you just feel the button clunk with no sound. The first L93 I had did not do this and was similar to the 920 in that you got two clunks, but no audible click.

The power button on this new one also seems "too depressed" into the phone, compared to the first one. Not sure if I am just being overly pedantic though ;)

Naz K

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my issue too. I just got the phone today and i've noticed the power button is slightly lower and loose. Is it the standard or should we return them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786