Nokia updater and rolling back to 8.0?

Joseph Young4

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.

On other threads here in the Icon section I saw people talking about "rolling back" to 8.0 after installing the developer preview for 8.1. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could give me a clear, typed out explanation of this? I don't really understand and I would love to know the steps i need to take BEFORE I update to 8.1 and what will be needed to be done AFTER I install the update in order to get back to 8.0 if need be. Thanks for all your help! :)

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It's actually pretty simple. Download and install the Nokia Software Updater for retail - I got it from Softpedia, but I'm sure it's available from Nokia. It needs a Windows compute to run on and an open USB port. The install is fairly lenghty, since there are several supporting layers it may need to download.

Start it up and plug your phone into the USB port. The computer will load the drivers. Start the updater if it's not already running. After that it's a matter of clicking to say what it's about to do is OK. NOTE you *will* lose all your installed software, contacts, etc. That turned out not to be an issue since I use the backup services provided my Microsoft and Verizon, so everything reloaded when the software was replaced. The download for WP8 was huge - 4gig. So that took a while.

It was worth it for me. Even after disabling Cortana (I loved Cortana!) I had the infamous long wakeup delay, which is of course not present on WP8. But I do miss the swype-style keyboard. I am hoping that when 8.1 is fully baked the delay is gone.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's a piece of cake. Just back up your stuff, get http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/fds_fire/1310/0909/7297834135/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterForRetail_4.1.0.exe and follow the onscreen instructions.

I too miss the swipe keyboard. And Cortana. And notifications. And paste-into-dialer (EDIT: it worked in 8.0 now! Weird... I know I tried that several times before and couldn't do it...). And smiley suggestions. And... a billion little things. :/ But I'll wait for the official release now, just for the hell of it. Keeping 8.1 on my Lumia 520 though. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss