Nokia Wireles Charging Stand doesn't seem to be working with 1020

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I've got the Nokia 1020 with a wireless charging cover/shell and a wireless charging stand. Unfortunately it seems a little less than capable together. Anyone else notice problems using the 1020 with the charging stand? Mine is very particular about how it needs to be placed and when I finally seem to line them up correctly within a few minutes (usually seconds) they "un-pair" and the phone stops charging. Within a matter of seconds after that it may decide to re-pair and begin charging again but every time it does the pairing it gives off a quick vibration. Not a bad thing to let you know it paired-up but if it starts doing this for minutes at a time in the middle of the night I'm gonna chuck this thing through Elop's bedroom window. Anyone else with a similar problem?

A lot of money for a flaky implementation :angry: (My Palm Pre wireless charger ran circles of fire around this thing.)

Techiedude

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the 1020 and purchased the charging shell specifically to work with the charging stand I used with my 920. The 1020 sat on the stand just fine when I shifted the wrist strap off to the side and it was fully charged this morning. No issues.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 1020 and purchased the charging shell specifically to work with the charging stand I used with my 920. The 1020 sat on the stand just fine when I shifted the wrist strap off to the side and it was fully charged this morning. No issues.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with the plate/Qi shell or anything special I need to do to get the pairing to stay consistent while on the stand?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So, where were you guys able to get the shell? I wanted to get one when I bought the phone, but the Microsoft store I went to didn't have any, and I can't find them online. Thanks!

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, where were you guys able to get the shell? I wanted to get one when I bought the phone, but the Microsoft store I went to didn't have any, and I can't find them online. Thanks!

At the MS Store I bought the 1020 at; I got the last shell in stock...but still haven't figured out how to get this to work...

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess the sun, moon, stars and wireless connection points are finally aligned...the phone is charging on the stand.

Here's hoping this isn't a short-lived success story...

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had difficulty with my 920 "lining up" right on the charging stand at times too. A few mornings I've taken it off first then put it back when I'm getting ready for work. Sometimes it doesn't kick back on to charge. I'd assume it might be more the charger than the phone. I actually like the basic pad better.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the last one from the MS store in Schaumburg, IL and sad to say it broke as soon as I snapped it on. Hopefully it's just the metal contacts in this one but man, I can't see these holding up if it broke this easy. Essentially, I snapped it on and noticed it was sitting properly. I took it off, snapped on again and it sat flushed but didn't work. I pulled it off and found one of the two contacts all the way in the back of the case. I took a small needle and pulled it forward a smudge and it immediately broke.

Aside from that, it really doesn't sit flush with the edge of the phone. It creates this extra ridge all along the side which I was really hopeful wouldn't be the case. I'll return this one and just hope some third party releases a better QI charging case.

WP_20130728_15_42_57_Pro.jpg

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
How is it working now techiedude?

Both stands seem to be fine now, not sure what was going on in my first 45 minutes of aggravated testing but I'm going to echo what GoodThings2Life said above. Granted I haven't actually tried the charging pad he mentioned but for nightstand use, it would seem a better choice than the upright stand. Why? The stand has what seems to be a little small light to indicate when the pairing is successful between the phone and stand. Great, right? It is until the middle of the night and it shines like a spotlight in the darkness (Queue Rihanna: "Shines bright like a diamond"; now try to get that song out of your head...HAHAHA...but I digress...). The "dimmed" glance screen also seems "bright" in complete darkness...maybe there's a "dimmer" dim setting for it LOL By placing the phone flat on a charging pad instead of a stand, the glance screen wouldn't be staring you in the face if you tend to rollover in the night (not sure if the pad has an indicator light though). Just my measly two pesos, pennies, rubles, shillings...

Update: thanks to a different WPC forum thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235038-glance-peek-setting.html) started by redeyss with a heads-up by paddylaz, I was able to find out how to dim the glance feature. Niiiiiiice :)

Last edited:

Gringo11

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
The DT900 does not work for me with the Lumia 1020 (tried two DT900s). It keeps disconnecting after less than a minute. The Lumia charges just fine use my existing LG wireless charger ($30 from Verizon - at least that's where I purchased it) or the Google charging orb. It even stays on the orb overnight (but only in portrait orientation) without slipping off. I would recommend either of these chargers over the Nokia. I got them for my nexus 4 because the nokia charger would not charge the nexus 4... and now it won't even charge Nokia phones... sad...

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
There's something wrong with your setup. I bought two DT900s on sale from AT&T and they both work 100% reliably with my 1020. They're a lot more finicky with the Nexus 4, but once I found the right positioning (about 1/2 inch of DT900 showing past bottom of Nexus 4) it started working pretty reliably. A lot slower to charge than the 1020 though. The 1020 can charge from 40% to full in about 1.5 hours on the DT900 for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium