Not so happy with my purchase

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Clearly you are passionate about the 1020, but be careful not to turn into an angry ******. The photos are accurate photos. I did not post them to start trouble. I posted them to highlight the yellow tint issue which they clearly do.

Also your solution is a get around. I want t a fix. Auto in Pro Camera should work. Right now it does not work like it is supposed. Even Nokia have acknowledged that.

"If you are using Pro Cam you absolutely should be changing the settings." <- This is a ridiculous statement. Well done. If this was true there should NOT be an Auto Mode period. Think before you speak.

The summary appears to be that Nokia is aware of the tints being added. They will fix in a phone update. As an interim workaround, use manual modes to get around it if you see this happen.

Everyone pushes updates out to fix issues discovered between carrier certification and release date.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The phone was not made to just be used in Auto, the Pro Camera app is meant for photography enthusiasts who actually change settings and want to get the best result. I have a DSLR and know what I am doing.

You just joined and you are already trolling with people who do not have English as their first language etc, well done.

What phone do you own?

leecasey

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The phone was not made to just be used in Auto, the Pro Camera app is meant for photography enthusiasts who actually change settings and want to get the best result. I have a DSLR and know what I am doing.

You just joined and you are already trolling with people who do not have English as their first language etc, well done.

What phone do you own?

"The phone was not made to just be used in auto" - No, but auto should work?! What don't you understand?

" the Pro Camera app is meant for photography enthusiasts who actually change settings " then why does the auto mode exist?

You have a DSLR, you MUST be a photographic expert.

As mentioned in my comment about the guys English, it was not meant to cause offence. I couldn't understand what he was saying so I couldn't reply to his post properly. He managed to understand that like an adult but it seems you cannot.

I think it's pretty obvious what phone I own? A 1020..... I can take a picture of it with my DSLR if you like.....

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So if they make some camera adjustments, will it be to ProCam App or a firmware update? I don't have any faith in ATT pushing updates at all, so I wanna know what to expect.... Haha.
It can be fixed in the app by over-riding shutter and ISO settings with the flash enabled, but the base camera app is still warm meaning it is firmware. They are using flash white balance which is very cool, which has the effect of warming if the flash doesn't fire at proper strength. If the camera firmware is choosing a shutter speed too slow with an ISO that intended for capture with out flash, the ambient light will cause the warm color balance.

If they know it is happening, it can be fixed. Case in point, my Nikon V1 would choose shutter speeds to low in P and A modes for the focal length being used instead of upping ISO as it should. They fixed it firmware and all is good not; the camera follows the 1/focal length rule until it runs out of ISO headroom.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

What phone do you own?
Very wrong. The 1020 does allow for manual control, but it isn't a DSLR. It is a point and shoot replacement with some advanced features. Users should not have the burden of needing to know photography to use the camera just to turn on the flash. Pro Cam is the default app for the camera when it comes out of the box and moreover the warm tone issue is there in the base camera app.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Didn't you hear? Mr DSLR says we are doing it wrong. There is no bug. :grincry:
There are bugs with every first adopter phone. Apple has had their share of problems with new releases (holding it wrong) and this is the 1020's biggest flaw. Yes, it can be overcome by going manual, but strobe settings on a DSLR are very difficult thing to master to get a desired result.

I met this incredibly obnoxious person one night, saw I had a D3 and wanted to take some photos with it. I tried to explain that the shutter button is set to not focus, use the AF-ON button. I decoupled metering and focus for more control when recomposing. She proceeded to inform me her husband has a DSLR and she knew how to use one, ignoring what I said. She then tells me how fast my camera focuses because it would just take the picture right away, another setting I chose to allow shutter release with out focus lock. To finish out this ID 10 T session, she complained that all of the photos were blurry on the screen and something was wrong with my camera. <- NOT A CELL PHONE Point being, I don't want to have to explain how to use my phone to get a good enough picture when I hand it to someone.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Very wrong. The 1020 does allow for manual control, but it isn't a DSLR. It is a point and shoot replacement with some advanced features. Users should not have the burden of needing to know photography to use the camera just to turn on the flash. Pro Cam is the default app for the camera when it comes out of the box and moreover the warm tone issue is there in the base camera app.

1. You are correct, this isn't a DSLR.
2. It's most likely going to be the one camera you have on you all the time.
3. Some advanced features?
4. Who is the target audience of a phone with a 41MP camera? People that want to take pictures of their lunch? You are going to know a little about photography when you pick up the 1020, enough that you will want to fool around with the settings to make the most of the camera.

The 1020 is going to cater to people who enjoy taking pictures, personally or professionally. Maybe it's just a hobby, part-time job or a vital tool for their line of work. Auto settings - in my opinion - are just a replacement for manual control and by no means the best settings for every situation. Perhaps for now the 1020 should be limited to people who know what they are doing. I mean, we wouldn't want to burden anyone.

This was a tongue and cheek post, meant to be sarcastic.

Should Nokia fix the yellow tint? Yeah, it's annoying. But, those passionate about the platform know if you adjust the settings you get great pictures. How many phones give you this level of granular control out of the box and capture photos worthy of printing?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Point being, I don't want to have to explain how to use my phone to get a good enough picture when I hand it to someone.

Then don't explain anything to them and watch them get frustrated. Based on your example if you swapped out your DSLR with the 1020, the person you spoke with clearly ignored you anyway and then complained about the result.

People need to relax a bit though, yellowing aside this is a great piece of hardware. If you look at the software update the Moto X received, it should come as reassurance that our camera will soon take proper shots in automatic. Nokia probably doesn't want to patch the camera, update the OS and deal with the issues on two different rollouts. Patches or improvements to the camera are probably being tested for GDR 2 and GDR 3. You don't want to update the camera software for it to only be non-functional in the next OS update.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/play4life/sets/72157636022840025/

These are comparison photos of the same scene using the Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020, with and without flash.

As can be seen the Lumia 1020 is doing something very wrong when using the flash. The 920, which has a much weaker flash still does much better with color balance. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is very oversaturated.

My testing has shown that the Lumia 1020 in this scene, and when using the flash, automatically picks a very slow shutter speed (around 1/20) . This makes it clear to why the picture is more yellow/orange. Essentially the flash is too fast at this slow shutter speed, and the dominating light in the picture is the yellow/orange from the tungsten lights.

The 920 however seems to cope much better.

920 with flash is the best picture.. You got lovely house by the way.. ;)

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it... they already nailed the auto white balance in auto mode on the 808.. can't they just copy/paste the algorithm ?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
i can understand but can't speak fluently in English i know. It's not insult me anymore. I don't ever been in high school. But my hobby reading English books 

Good for you. I didn't have your discipline when I was your age.

I'm sure you understand why people are having trouble understanding you though, correct?

I'm actually happy to see you trying to write/speak in English. Practice makes perfect.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it... they already nailed the auto white balance in auto mode on the 808.. can't they just copy/paste the algorithm ?

Maybe they did, but the hardware is different. Sensors, flash, and other hardware all play a factor. In some of the examples I have seen (specifically the dog on the couch) there is no algorithm that can get that picture "right" automatically. It is a mix of flash (blue/white foreground) and incandescent ambient lighting (yellow background). The different lighting sources together are going to have different looks and there is no way to avoid that. The image can be exposed in three ways.

* Use a fast shutter speed or low ISO and the dim background lighting will make the background dark compared to the flash lit foreground. Less yellow, more black shadowy background.
* Use a slow shutter speed or high ISO and the dim background lighting will be as bright as the flash lit foreground, but the color temps are very different which can't be avoided (physics).
* Use less/no flash power and a slow shutter speed or high ISO to balance background with foreground. Assuming that there is enough light to avoid a blurry picture and enough ambient light shining on the foreground.

Which of those is "right" in such a case? Which one should auto choose. I agree that Nokia needs to balance it out a bit better, but the point is that some scenes just can't be captured the way the human eye sees them. Also, any of those choices is correct if it produces the effect that the photographer is going for.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i agree with the above the dog on the sofa was a tricky shot but other phones/cameras have dealt with the same type of shot and same type of lighting much much better this is the only camera/phone the image has come out that yellow/orange

most other cameras would have dimmed the background a bit , chosen a much faster shutter speed , a lower iso to retain quality and detail and the shot wouldn't have been so orange/yellow and the detail of the dog would have been better which was the focus of the picture anyways

i done a few tests yesterday with my 1020 with xenon and has someone else has pointed out if you change the iso and shutter speed you can get much better shots and get away with the orange/yellow glow , just to test i forced the flash and even took the shutter speed to 1/4000 second compared to the 1/30 second the camera was choosing , for me the image was much better , had resolved much more detail and looked more like an 808 type shot rather then id taken a photo in ompalompa land (orange people from charlie and chocolate factory) it seems as if the flash was fired different as well maybe because of the settings chosen , however the image was much more pleasing compared to the orange/yellow type shots and it reminded me of how the 808 would have dealt with that type of scene , the detail on my friends arm was much better even down to the hairs on his arm which could clearly be seen , it was much more pureview type picture compared to the auto settings which had lost a lot of detail due to slow shutter speed and higher iso settings

so its not just turning the shot yellow/orange but ramping up the iso and slowing the shutter speed down is actually at the cost of quality and detail as well

i can change the settings myself of course i can but the type of shots we are talking about are quick point and shoot sots of family members , pets , friends and loved ones under ''false''lighting that are often taken quickly to capture the moment and arent always posed shots witha few seconds to change the settings to match the scene , it would just be nice to see the camera think ooooooh i am going to use xenon flash for this scene i will lower the iso and up make the shutter speed faster to capture a shot with great detail and that the focus of the shot is lit up

i do love my 1020 its the best phone all round phone ive had and i do love the camera even though i have owned a 808 i just think that there are some aspects that could be a little better and i think its great nokia are looking into it (if they are) untill then i guess if i dont want an orange shot i can mess with the settings quickly its a shame that a lot of peoples pics could have been better though and had more detail and better colour balance after all isnt that why people have bought the 1020 to have the best picture they can because its the device they have on them all the time :)

JeremyJDodd

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Another very easy solution to the yellow tint on photos taken at night with flash is to condense the manual menu by pressing the "<" button, then selecting "night" mode and setting flash to auto. For some reason, I've noticed setting flash to "auto" as opposed to "on" forces the camera to adjust shutter speed and compensate for the yellow tint. The difference is like night and day.

While the "night"/"auto flash" results are not as great as turning the flash off and decreasing shutter speed/increasing ISO (the latter is always last resort since it adds graininess), it's a great solution for that "it's dark and I'm in a bar and I need to take a pic fast and I don't have time to adjust everything a hundred times before I take this photo" situation.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
A great app that does not suffer from the Nokia camera algorithm bugs is camera360. on daylight, outside photos are amazing. try it and post your results

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254