O2 Windows Phone 8 sales rep disaster - an experience.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to buy a HTC 8X online from O2 in Blue colour.

I got a pop-up for getting help from a chat advisor. Here is how the convo has gone so far (name changed for the rep and me):

Welcome to O2 live chat. Someone will start chatting with you soon.

We're really busy right now. Thanks for waiting. If you're after the latest information on the iPhone 5 please go here

Did you know you can find out your upgrade date by logging into MyO2 here. You can also do lots of other stuff like check your bill or change your tariff too.

You're through to Beth.

Beth: Hi there. My name's Beth I am an O2 Sales advisor, how can I help you today?
Rohan: I am looking into buying the latest smartphones and browsing your collection.
Beth: I'll help you with this.
Beth: Are you looking for a new contract with new number?
Rohan: I might want to keep my number and possibly go for a contract or a pay as you go phone.
Rohan: I don't want a contract longer than 18 months though.
Beth: Is your current number with O2?
Rohan: No its with Three
Beth: Okay.
Beth: You can keep your number
Beth: Which phone are you interested in?
Rohan: I was looking into the range of new phones you have. The Windows ones?
Beth: I'll help you with the deals for Nokia Lumia 800.
Rohan: Is that the latest you've got? I thought Lumia 800 was an old phone?
Beth: Yes. Lumia 800 is the latest phone we've.
Rohan: You don't have any phones after that? Like 900, 920, 820?
Beth: No, we don't sell those phones.
Rohan: Do you sell any other than Nokia phones?
Beth: Yes, you can get Nokia Lumia 610, 800, Asha 300 and Asha 302.
Rohan: Are Asha phones Windows too?
Rohan: If not, is there any other latest Windows phone I can buy?
Beth: They're Symbian phones.
Beth: Lumia 800 is the latest windows phone with us.

** She doesn't know about - Phone Product Detail - HTC Windows Phone 8X **

Rohan: Oh ok, no HTC, Samsung or Acer kinda stuff?
Beth: They're Android phones.
Rohan: Oh, I think O2 stores might have the other phones then.
Beth: Sure you can visit O2 store
Rohan: Can I place order online for any new HTC Windows Phone if they are available later this month?
Beth: You can order it online once its available on sale with us.
Rohan: I saw a tweet by Microsoft that O2 UK had it available online since Friday, I am not sure where to find them on your website as there is an iPhone section but no Windows Phone section.
Beth: Sorry that must be an error from Microsoft. We don't stock anything new yet.
Rohan: Oh ok, I will have to wait then.
Beth: Would you be interested in iPhone 5 deals? That's a new smartphone.
Rohan: No thanks. Anyways, have a nice day and thanks for help.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried my best to poke her in the right direction and suggest that there are new phones! But she wasn't aware of it and won't even search for it!

Also, kinda weird how Windows Phone = Nokia.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why Nokia decided to go exclusive. So that the carriers are obligated to push their devices instead of half-assed attempts like this.

Maybe it's too early to judge anything yet. That person clearly hasn't yet received any training for WP8.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Grrr

These stories really annoy me. I can't get a job at any phone shops because i have "Too broad knowledge" (Actual quote from O2) about smartphones. Really winds me up that people can get jobs in these places and know f**k all about phones.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why Nokia decided to go exclusive. So that the carriers are obligated to push their devices instead of half-assed attempts like this.

Maybe it's too early to judge anything yet. That person clearly hasn't yet received any training for WP8.

I don't think Nokia's exclusivity has been any good with EE either.
It's not on EE's front page - iPhone 5 is.
It's not on EE's shop first page - iPhone 5 is.
It's not on EE's shop top banner (3 scrollable images) iPhone 5, SGS3 and even Huawei is.
It's not on EE's "our latest 4G devices" - iPhone 5, SGS3, HTC One X and SGSNote is.
It's not on EE's "if you have 4G ready phone" page - iPhone 5 is. Only iPhone 5. It says "If you have a 4G ready iPhone 5, you can join EE on SIM Only"

So, yeah exclusivity is doing wonders for Nokia.

EE reminds me of Samsung with Windows Phone 7 - the analogy of being in bed with Android.

If EE had Nokia Lumia 920, front, right and centre, trust me - I would shell out ?66 a month because they are justifying their exclusivity. This isn't.

That's a bit off topic, but with O2 - it's the same story as WP7 and I am not sure how long are we supposed wait? Since 2010 October..

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Read the whole conversation.

Still you sound like a Jerk TC, you don't have to pretend you don't know something to see if the rep knows about it. Nobody outside bloggers and tech fans know about the 8X and the people that work with the company are usually the last to know. They know about the phone once it's in the store.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
O2 has always sucked. I hated them when I was with them during my time in the UK. I always knew more about their phones and selection than their reps. And their motto is "the customer is always wrong." Every mishap, stupid charge or problem is ALWAYS your fault.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Edit: Read the whole conversation.

Still you sound like a Jerk TC, you don't have to pretend you don't know something to see if the rep knows about it. Nobody outside bloggers and tech fans know about the 8X and the people that work with the company are usually the last to know. They know about the phone once it's in the store.

I'm pretty sure if I go to Mc Donalds, most of their kitchen staff AND till staff knows what burgers they have, what promotions they have and what they need to sell.

It ain't rocket science to know what your products are, you just search on computer screen. I pretended to not know anything because that is what an ordinary customer is. They don't know anything about 8X. For example if I recommend WP8 to a friend without saying if he should buy a Lumia or HTC or Sammy, he would end up getting Lumia 800 and then cry on these forums saying how Windows Phone sucks!

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if I go to Mc Donalds, most of their kitchen staff AND till staff knows what burgers they have, what promotions they have and what they need to sell.

It ain't rocket science to know what your products are, you just search on computer screen. I pretended to not know anything because that is what an ordinary customer is. They don't know anything about 8X. For example if I recommend WP8 to a friend without saying if he should buy a Lumia or HTC or Sammy, he would end up getting Lumia 800 and then cry on these forums saying how Windows Phone sucks!

while i understand uour frustration with the reps lack of knowledge, your metaphor is off. Mc Donald's doesn't have a menu that changes regularly and if you went into a McDonald's and asked the staff when the McRib is coming back, or when a new bacon swiss burger you read about on a blog will be available you'll receive blank stares and empty answers.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got to say, that's why I hate salespeople. They just want to sell you what they know, and when you ask outside of their comfort zone, often you don't get the answer.

This is part of the reason why I rather have knowledge of the stuff I want to buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise