Official Lumia 520 Amber Update Thread

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have a question. Prob a dumb question, but here goes. Does Amber Update put software on your Lumia phone which requires an app that eats data? Do you have to keep a data app open, to run the new amber software? I'm looking at getting a Nokia Lumia 925, and am hoping it has fm radio (no service provider was able to tell me if it's on the phone, but gsmarena website says it has.) It seems some 925s have fm radio, and some don't. I'm joping that all 925s have the FM transmitter, it's just that some need it to be activated.

I don't want to use up my lowly 1Gb of monthly data with the plan I'm looking at getting. In a nutshell, will using FM radio on amber software upgrade destroy my miserable lonely data Gb?

The FM radio does not use network data. It functions like any old FM radio. All Lumia 925 are supposed to have one. Only Lumia 620 does not have an FM radio.

DegsIreland

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Shmsnh. Appreciate that.
Will Amber software upgrade use any data in any way? Or any software upgrade, for that matter?. Not just for FM radio, but any other software upgrades, in general... Will my phone look on the upgrade as a data source of funding? To put it bluntly.
I'm not talking about the data used on actual uploading of upgrade to the phone, but any data needed afterwards to keep the upgrade going. I understand if you upload an app to your phone, that uses data. But what about software, that isn't an app?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925 comes out-of-box with Amber, but since you're in the Lumia 520 forums, I'm going to assume that you are currently using a Lumia 520.

You seem a bit confused about the Lumia Amber update. It is basically Windows Phone 8 GDR2 along with Nokia's firmware, which is called Lumia Amber. Similarly, WP8 Update 3 along with Nokia's firmware is called Lumia Black. These are not app updates, per se, but operating system and firmware updates. The OS will use data to check for updates, make backups, etc. But then, this happens even without Amber. In short, upgrading to Amber will not use additional data (other than what it required to actually download the update). One more thing - you will have to update over WiFi.

By the way, Amber has a feature called Data Sense, which allows you to monitor your data usage and restrict apps when nearing your data limit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital