Official Lumia 920 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this forum so please be kind. I baught a Lumia 920 from ebay, unbranded, and it had gdr 1 on it. (i live in uk). After amber was released, i wasn't getting the update on my phone because it is unbranded. So i updated via nsu, and so far everything is working fine, all apps and features. So now i have gdr2 and amber. But my phone is now branded to 3 network for some reason. This is after the update.

i am not on 3, i am on giffgaff, which runs fine as the phone is unlocked, as far as i know. Since the update, every time the phone boots, the 3 logo comes up and in the about settings, the carrier is H3G (3's official name).

so, my question is, that if i go to Nokia care centre, and get them to update my phone to Lumia black (when it comes out for the 920), should there be any reason why they shouldn't update the phone? Will they refuse? Or will the forced amber update cause a problem whilst updating to later software and firmware versions? Oh, and does one have to pay to get their Nokia Lumia updated?

please shed some light on this. (current firmware number= 3047.0000.1326.2003)

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that the above post has been noticed. Therefore i would like to bring some attention to it. Please reply on this forum if you can answer any of the questions asked. Your help is very much appreciated.

thank you

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the above post has been noticed. Therefore i would like to bring some attention to it. Please reply on this forum if you can answer any of the questions asked. Your help is very much appreciated.

thank you

I'll try and answer the best I can here. First of all, you should have been able to get the original Amber update OTA before you flashed the phone, even if your phone was unbranded. It's strange why you didn't get it. I can only think that the 'Country Variant' Amber firmware was not released in the UK when you tried to update. Anyway, it sounds like you have flashed the 3047.0000.1326.2003 firmware onto your phone, which 3 UK use in our country, which would explain why it boots up with the 3 logo. When the Black Update is released in this country on the 3 network, as you have the 3 UK firmware version, then I believe your phone should still update to it OTA. I don't think you should need to take it in to a Nokia Care centre to be updated to Black.

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
thank you very much for the information. can I ask if there is a way to make the phone unbranded again (if I need to see nokia in the future, as they will look at the model number and will be able to tell that something weird is going on...)

and yes, I don't know myself why I didn't get the update. I checked for a few months after the official unbranded update was released in the UK, and nothing came up. it kept saying that my software is up to date, just checked 2 seconds ago. well, thank you again for your help.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
No problem :) With flashing it back to an unbranded firmware version, I'm not the best one to advise on this as I've never done it myself. I believe you can revert back to previous firmware in some cases though. It may be worth waiting for someone else to reply to this in here, with details on this process, or create a new thread about it. To give you an idea of what you are after though, I still have the list of Nokia's Amber firmware versions and for the UK, the Country Variant (Unbranded) version for the Lumia 920 is 3047.0000.1326.2007.

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
thanks, that's fine. I'm not planning to flash it again, as long as I get the 3 updates, I'll be happy. :)
sorry to keep firing questions at you like this, but if I don't get the update from 3 for some reason, then if I take the phone into nokia care centre to get it updated, will they notice if I've flashed it? or will they just assume I updated using the normal way, and assume it was a 3 branded phone anyway?

my warranty is not valid anyway, and I know flashing invalidates it. I bought the phone on ebay and therefore I am not the first end user (which is the only user who gets the warranty with the phone, according to the terms and conditions of nokia)

does this warranty thing make a difference?

thanks in advance

IrelandCeltic

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. I just got my new Lumia 920 which Im loving. It is an Orange Poland branded phone and Im using a 3 Ireland SIM - the phone is unlocked. Ive updated to the latest software available,(which seems to be Amber from Orange) but the firmware version doesn't match the firmware version for Amber on Orange which is listed on Nokias website and there's no FM radio, glance, etc. Anyone have any solutions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos