One day with Android

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
With everybody discussing "Is Windows Mobile dead?", I thought I would share my experience today. I too, got caught up in the thought that Windows Mobile might be coming to an end.

Just to give some credibility to what I am about to write, I have been using Windows Phone since its early iteration of Windows Phone 8 and have carried HTC 8X, Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1520 and now I am using the 950XL. I am also a .NET developer working on Win32 apps, web application and UWP apps. I also own Microsoft Band 2, Surface Pro and a Acer S7 and have been windows preview user since Windows 8.

In early days, I have used iPod and iPhone until I finally got tired of the same old UI when iPhone 5 came out and jumped ship to Windows Phone. I also recently purchased the Nexus 5x and have used iPhone 6 for app development.

Using Nexus 5x

I've been using the Nexus 5x mostly at home but never really carried it with me when I go outside or even put a sim card it. That was until today (I am writing this at end of the day) I decided to make the switch. I pulled the nice Mozo Leather back cover off my 950XL and got the sim card out. After setting up the Nexus with my AT&T sim, I had to make sure it had all the apps that used on Windows (this wasn't a problem).

I have used Android before but I hadn't really set it up for my personal use. So I started with widgets, I was glad to see that Microsoft had widgets for almost everything: OneNote, Cortana, Outlook, Bing, Sunrise.

Adding the widgets was an experience, I had to make sure that the screen had enough space before I could drag the widget to a specific screen. So there was a lot of removing of icons that I don't use. One thing I immediately did NOT enjoy was how each widget looked different. None of the widgets are consistent in size or theme or height and width. It was really hard to make it look nice.

Connecting with other device

I set it up to connect with my Band using the health app, immediately there was an upgrade waiting which became available on windows later in the day. I realized when you connect to the band, you can have it so that the screen won't lock which is a feature that I'm not sure about but it is nice to have.

On my way to work, I connected the Nexus to my car, everything worked well, I use Spotify for my music and of course the app was better on Android. However, there was my first issue I had enabled the volume normalize and the equalizer and that didn't work out as well. Songs would have weird volume changes or bass level would suddenly change. My commute isn't that long so I didn't worry about it for now.

Voice Assistant

While driving I thought I would try "Ok, Google." since I haven't been that impressed with "Hey, Cortana!" yet, I thought this would be nice comparison. Okay, here is the things, I absolutely hate the voice that comes out of Google's voice assistant. I couldn't continue conversing with Ok Google.

Setting of Microsoft Account in Contacts

As I got to work, I realized I didn't transfer my contacts having recently signed up for "Google account that I can log on using Microsoft Account", I had no contacts on my phone. I noticed that I had already added my outlook account but just user email and skype info showed up on contact information. I also noticed I could add a Microsoft Account which I hoped would have the phone numbers.

I thought this really deserves its own section because the experience was well, poor! Now I don't know if the issue here is Microsoft or Android this part didn't make my happy with either. I have two-step authentication setup on my Microsoft Account and since Android has a handy approve/deny authentication app, I never thought I'd have an issue. But wow I was wrong. Every time I got to the two step verification part, I wouldn't get the approve/deny prompt even when I was on the page waiting for response. I changed that to allow me to get a text message, even that didn't come through. Next, I tried enter a manual code that was generated on the app, the Contacts app crashed.

As soon as the app crashed, I got about 5 prompts and two texts for Microsoft Account verification. I repeated this process twice and I would only get verification prompts after the app crashed. Finally, I tried using my email as verification where I finally got the code on my computer and was able type it in the Contacts app. Well nothing happen, it didn't connect with my Microsoft Account nor did it grab my phone number (which yes, I've checked are in the my MS account).

Back to using Android
DID I MENTION HOW MY PHONE HAD STARTED SLOWING DOWN SINCE I LEFT HOME?

Throughout the day I noticed I didn't have to put in my pin or use fingerprint to unlock since my band was connected to the phone. I used the NBC Sports Network Live Extra to watch Liverpool play Leicester City F.C. which worked pretty well other than the part where Liverpool lost after playing so well (again).

After the game it was 4:30 pm and time to head home. I got a text from my brother asking if I could pick him up, but as you know I didn't set up the contact info, I had to go to my AT&T account to figure out if the phone number was my brother or my sister. My phone had a noticeable lag at this time. Text went through and I started walking to my car.

Since I was picking up my brother I had a longer drive home, I thought now I'd play around with the Spotify issue. Same problem as in the morning, so I disabled the crossfade, gapless, normalize volume and the equalizer. This worked better now, but since I had low storage (compared to 950xl) I hadn't download the music on extreme quality and the phone was having hard time using the LTE to deliver continuous music.

Something I hadn't noticed this morning, I started getting notification on my band every time the song would change. The notification wasn't anything more than the song's title but it started to annoy, mainly since I love skipping songs.

I was stuck in traffic, so I decided to update my brother where I was. My phone was seriously lagging now. I couldn't get out of Spotify and open the conversation app until multiple tries and even that was a very slow response from the phone.

The Conversation App
When I got in the conversation app, I clicked on this "Big Circle with a letter" but that asked me if I wanted to add the user. I tapped No but that crashed the conversation app. I open it again and tapped on the text side instead of the big circle and that sent me to the part where I actually type the message. I typed I was stuck in traffic and hit send, but nothing happen. Tried that multiple times, the got a system notification that my app wasn't responding and if I'd like to wait or force close the app. I decided to wait, after about 5 minutes of getting through traffic the app started responding again. This time I hit send, and the message was stuck in sending. I finally arrived at my brother's office and typed I'm here and send that. "I'm here" got sent before "nearly there" finished sending. My brother came out looking confused.

I got home, my Lumia 950xl with its nice leather back was sitting on my wireless charger. I threw aside the Nexus and started using the Lumia.

For now, I am back to Windows.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought this really deserves its own section because the experience was well, poor! Now I don't know if the issue here is Microsoft or Android this part didn't make my happy with either. I have two-step authentication setup on my Microsoft Account and since Android has a handy approve/deny authentication app, I never thought I'd have an issue. But wow I was wrong. Every time I got to the two step verification part, I wouldn't get the approve/deny prompt even when I was on the page waiting for response. I changed that to allow me to get a text message, even that didn't come through. Next, I tried enter a manual code that was generated on the app, the Contacts app crashed.

As soon as the app crashed, I got about 5 prompts and two texts for Microsoft Account verification. I repeated this process twice and I would only get verification prompts after the app crashed. Finally, I tried using my email as verification where I finally got the code on my computer and was able type it in the Contacts app. Well nothing happen, it didn't connect with my Microsoft Account nor did it grab my phone number (which yes, I've checked are in the my MS account).
This is the app you should have used. It doesn't require any SMS or typing in manual codes. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.msa.authenticator

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yep thats the one I used, Approve/Deny authentication app.
Strange it didn't work for you. I had no problems whatsoever using it on 3 different Android devices (2013 Moto X, Nexus 7 2013, and Moto X Pure Edition). I used it for each of the Office apps and OneDrive.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Strange it didn't work for you. I had no problems whatsoever using it on 3 different Android devices (2013 Moto X, Nexus 7 2013, and Moto X Pure Edition). I used it for each of the Office apps and OneDrive.

It works for me else where, I think the issue is with with the contacts app.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
With everybody discussing "Is Windows Mobile dead?", I thought I would share my experience today. I too, got caught up in the thought that Windows Mobile might be coming to an end.

Just to give some credibility to what I am about to write, I have been using Windows Phone since its early iteration of Windows Phone 8 and have carried HTC 8X, Lumia 920, 925, 928, 1520 and now I am using the 950XL. I am also a .NET developer working on Win32 apps, web application and UWP apps. I also own Microsoft Band 2, Surface Pro and a Acer S7 and have been windows preview user since Windows 8.

In early days, I have used iPod and iPhone until I finally got tired of the same old UI when iPhone 5 came out and jumped ship to Windows Phone. I also recently purchased the Nexus 5x and have used iPhone 6 for app development.

Using Nexus 5x

I've been using the Nexus 5x mostly at home but never really carried it with me when I go outside or even put a sim card it. That was until today (I am writing this at end of the day) I decided to make the switch. I pulled the nice Mozo Leather back cover off my 950XL and got the sim card out. After setting up the Nexus with my AT&T sim, I had to make sure it had all the apps that used on Windows (this wasn't a problem).

I have used Android before but I hadn't really set it up for my personal use. So I started with widgets, I was glad to see that Microsoft had widgets for almost everything: OneNote, Cortana, Outlook, Bing, Sunrise.

Adding the widgets was an experience, I had to make sure that the screen had enough space before I could drag the widget to a specific screen. So there was a lot of removing of icons that I don't use. One thing I immediately did NOT enjoy was how each widget looked different. None of the widgets are consistent in size or theme or height and width. It was really hard to make it look nice.

Connecting with other device

I set it up to connect with my Band using the health app, immediately there was an upgrade waiting which became available on windows later in the day. I realized when you connect to the band, you can have it so that the screen won't lock which is a feature that I'm not sure about but it is nice to have.

On my way to work, I connected the Nexus to my car, everything worked well, I use Spotify for my music and of course the app was better on Android. However, there was my first issue I had enabled the volume normalize and the equalizer and that didn't work out as well. Songs would have weird volume changes or bass level would suddenly change. My commute isn't that long so I didn't worry about it for now.

Voice Assistant

While driving I thought I would try "Ok, Google." since I haven't been that impressed with "Hey, Cortana!" yet, I thought this would be nice comparison. Okay, here is the things, I absolutely hate the voice that comes out of Google's voice assistant. I couldn't continue conversing with Ok Google.

Setting of Microsoft Account in Contacts

As I got to work, I realized I didn't transfer my contacts having recently signed up for "Google account that I can log on using Microsoft Account", I had no contacts on my phone. I noticed that I had already added my outlook account but just user email and skype info showed up on contact information. I also noticed I could add a Microsoft Account which I hoped would have the phone numbers.

Back to using Android
DID I MENTION HOW MY PHONE HAD STARTED SLOWING DOWN SINCE I LEFT HOME?

Throughout the day I noticed I didn't have to put in my pin or use fingerprint to unlock since my band was connected to the phone. I used the NBC Sports Network Live Extra to watch Liverpool play Leicester City F.C. which worked pretty well other than the part where Liverpool lost after playing so well (again).

After the game it was 4:30 pm and time to head home. I got a text from my brother asking if I could pick him up, but as you know I didn't set up the contact info, I had to go to my AT&T account to figure out if the phone number was my brother or my sister. My phone had a noticeable lag at this time. Text went through and I started walking to my car.

Since I was picking up my brother I had a longer drive home, I thought now I'd play around with the Spotify issue. Same problem as in the morning, so I disabled the crossfade, gapless, normalize volume and the equalizer. This worked better now, but since I had low storage (compared to 950xl) I hadn't download the music on extreme quality and the phone was having hard time using the LTE to deliver continuous music.

Something I hadn't noticed this morning, I started getting notification on my band every time the song would change. The notification wasn't anything more than the song's title but it started to annoy, mainly since I love skipping songs.

I was stuck in traffic, so I decided to update my brother where I was. My phone was seriously lagging now. I couldn't get out of Spotify and open the conversation app until multiple tries and even that was a very slow response from the phone.

The Conversation App
When I got in the conversation app, I clicked on this "Big Circle with a letter" but that asked me if I wanted to add the user. I tapped No but that crashed the conversation app. I open it again and tapped on the text side instead of the big circle and that sent me to the part where I actually type the message. I typed I was stuck in traffic and hit send, but nothing happen. Tried that multiple times, the got a system notification that my app wasn't responding and if I'd like to wait or force close the app. I decided to wait, after about 5 minutes of getting through traffic the app started responding again. This time I hit send, and the message was stuck in sending. I finally arrived at my brother's office and typed I'm here and send that. "I'm here" got sent before "nearly there" finished sending. My brother came out looking confused.

I got home, my Lumia 950xl with its nice leather back was sitting on my wireless charger. I threw aside the Nexus and started using the Lumia.

For now, I am back to Windows.

Typical android experience!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, thanks for sharing your experience. I find this to be very interesting since I am also considering trying Android with the Nexus 5x (it's my top choice, but also a bit big to me). I'll like to use MS services but I'll be skipping the Arrow Launcher bit, lol.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Libra, as mentioned over there. the FIRST Android phone I would consider right now is the robin! I may actually buy one....WOAH, did I just say that? YES I DID.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Libra, as mentioned over there. the FIRST Android phone I would consider right now is the robin! I may actually buy one....WOAH, did I just say that? YES I DID.

It doesn't hurt to try. I don't regret it and it has been 2 weeks to the date. However I have found quirks that range from slightly annoying to very annoying. Going to do an iOS trial to see the other side. Really inspired by xandros' thread.

Not made of money, lol. I just hop on good deals only from places with return policies.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I WILL NEVER use an apple product anymore. between their constant pilfering of other people technology to the latest not allowing the government to see whats on known terrorists phones, (it would be different if the government was trying to incriminate someone, but these two already did the dirty work)....I will never support a company like that.

Android is a mess, but the nextbit has that dialed back ALOT.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
to the latest not allowing the government to see whats on known terrorists phones, (it would be different if the government was trying to incriminate someone, but these two already did the dirty work)....I will never support a company like that.

this is my issue with that post, Apple right now is on the side of maintaining product security and the privacy of the many. This case is bigger than just one work-owned iPhone 5c, it is a precedent-setting case regarding the security and privacy of any smartphone.

And I'm going to pull out that gun argument here. If one outlaws encryption (as is on the table elsewhere) or makes it weak for law-abiding people then ultimately only normal citizens lose.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What I find ridiculous about the Apple story is Tim Cook acting like Apple is going to have to write a program to unlock this one iPhone. If you don't think Apple can already unlock a pin, password or fingerprint protected iPhone in less than 30 seconds you're nuts. Of course they can, they've always been able to since the beginning of the iPhone.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
To the original topic

Android can be complex and confusing that said it takes more than a day.

My second go round with Android has been much easier after spending time with it.
The app choices on Android are far and wide and I find this frustrating at times.
I depend a lot on recommendations with trial and error as far as apps.
With diligence the right app or feature can usually be discovered.

For me it's all there plus learning my way around instead of dismissing it this time around has proven satisfying.

Microsoft Mobile with 10 has become much more fun in the start screen department if you enjoy painting a different landscape on a weekly basis :)
Having a phone built for WM10 has been a better experience for me than trying the Frankenstein beta on older devices.
Following each insider update has been a very interesting trek.
Every adjusted incursion affected something an improvement here would disable something else.
Since I'm not an expert coder and understand it takes a cast of thousands I refuse to intensely trash anyone's hard work.
I keep trying to remind myself that Microsoft is doing all this for it's pool of users for free.

My take is:
I can sit back and relax while a group of fantastic hard working people at Microsoft, Google and Apple do their best for each contingent.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What I find ridiculous about the Apple story is Tim Cook acting like Apple is going to have to write a program to unlock this one iPhone. If you don't think Apple can already unlock a pin, password or fingerprint protected iPhone in less than 30 seconds you're nuts. Of course they can, they've always been able to since the beginning of the iPhone.

The key doesn't leave the device. iOS 8 and above really kicked up the security to be out of Apple's metaphorical hands.

And that's what the FBI is asking too. Some program to allow unlimited PIN attempts.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
this is my issue with that post, Apple right now is on the side of maintaining product security and the privacy of the many. This case is bigger than just one work-owned iPhone 5c, it is a precedent-setting case regarding the security and privacy of any smartphone.

And I'm going to pull out that gun argument here. If one outlaws encryption (as is on the table elsewhere) or makes it weak for law-abiding people then ultimately only normal citizens lose.

Guys this is not an ordinary person, this is a terrorist who killed 14 people. Apple can "unlock" these 2 phones without creating the so called "backdoor". If you believe otherwise I have beach front property in the Northwest Terriorties near Tuktoyuktuk to sell you! great spot for catching rays in beachwear. Apple is being their typical whiny selves they always are.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys this is not an ordinary person, this is a terrorist who killed 14 people. Apple can "unlock" these 2 phones without creating the so called "backdoor". If you believe otherwise I have beach front property in the Northwest Terriorties near Tuktoyuktuk to sell you! great spot for catching rays in beachwear. Apple is being their typical whiny selves they always are.

I'm not the most eloquent so I'm going to outsource counterpoints to this well-done article talking about why the situation is less-than-optimal.
No Apple for the FBI | Scragged

Worth noting that this is a work phone of a terrorist who also destroyed their personal phone and computer, so they obviously have the sophistication to know to destroy potentially dangerous data.
I'd wager we're fighting this case over some, at most scandalous, some porn in the browsing history.

Also worth noting that a Google exec has expressed tentative (I say tentative in that the language used tentative-ish words like "may" and "could") support and Microsoft (as of a couple days ago), while part of a group supporting things like this, is silent.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
thank god for John mcaffee. at least he has the balls to do something. unlike the evil empire. How do you know whats on or not on that phone. NEVER KNOW. As I mentioned.....Its not like the FBI is trying to incriminate someone.....they are trying to get information from a KNOWN TERRORIST.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
So I still use the Nexus for 2 step verification even though I continue to use windows as primary. I figured i could just verify with text when i don't have android (saves me the time to open the app). I think two-step verification has its own issues lately I have having trouble with Skype in general. At this point, i kinda just want disable the verification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte