One Year with the 920...time for a new phone or not?

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So it has been a little over a year since I have had my Lumia 920 and I am debating whether to wait a year to get a new phone or break down and get one now.

I went into the AT&T store the other day to check out the 1520 and really love it, the Representative asked me if I needed help and I told him that I was just there to check out the 1520. He asked what phone I had and I told him that I bought the 920 a year ago when it came out...he didn't miss a beat and said..."Oh man, I'm sorry...we had so many problems with that phone, we don't even advertise it in the store anymore."

I was telling him that through the entire year that I have had it I have encountered a variety of problems...some of them I have just learned to live with (battery issues, front dust in the camera, signal problems, and on and on), others I have fixed with the help of the information from the forum.

I know with every new phone there are bugs and problems that need to get worked out, but my luck with phone upgrades has been terrible. I was so excited to receive the 920 and to try the Windows platform I even switched from Verizon to make the change and try something new. The promise of the Lumia 920 was great, good camera, great low light pictures, fun colors, and an option for a different OS other than Apple or Android.....but after all of this I am left feeling that I made a terrible choice and should have waited a little longer before switching.

I am just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way as I am after having the 920 for a year? Such high expections and such a let down on many levels. I plan to stay with the Windows Platform but hope that my next phone purchase will be a better experience.

pazces84

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way about it being time for an upgrade but for different reasons. I loved my L920 but unfortunately I have some anger issues and smashed my phone to pieces :/...
I had to downgrade and get a Lumia 520 as an emergency phone, since I still have a little over a year until my contract expires. As soon as my contact is up I'm gonna upgrade to the latest Lumia. Definitely planning on sticking with Windows Phone.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought my L920 in November, 2012. I can still say, without hesitation, that it is the best phone that I have owned. I haven't experienced most of the problems that some have reported on. I have had minor problems, but I think that is to be expected. By way of example, I have owned an iPad 3 since its release. It is a highly touted device, but it has not been problem-free. My L920 sits in an Otterbox case, and still looks new. I can upgrade my phone in November. However, I am satisfied with my L920. Thus, I can sit back and wait to see what new phones the Microsoft /Nokia merger will produce. I am sure that my phone will make it until I am ready to get a new phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I would stick with the 920. It's an awesome phone. Besides, you never know what might come out by the end of your contract session. It might even be better than the 1520.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is showing a yellow hue off the top edge of the screen. My phone is not even a year-old. I've also started wondering whether a new Lumia 1020 or a 1520 is in order...

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is showing a yellow hue off the top edge of the screen. My phone is not even a year-old. I've also started wondering whether a new Lumia 1020 or a 1520 is in order...
take it to a Nokia care store, all Nokia's sold in Europe come with a 2 year warranty. (i don't know if this is the case elsewhere). They should be able to sort it out for you.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the 1020 is sweet. Love my 920 though. Had a few issues, but it is my favourite phone. I am due a November upgrade. Hope for a 920 size with improved camera, wireless charging, 2MB RAM, and the latest processor. Would also love a better battery.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both got 920's, we both love them. I bought the 1020 (couldn't resist) although I do love the 1020 and the camera, camera grip, and snappiness I do miss the 920. I loved how it felt in my hand, the weight, the color it all just seemed right. 920 was the best overall phone I have owned.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had my 920 since the day it launched. I had one problem with my 920, but that was an antenna issue caused by me dropping the phone. I fixed it and its been bulletproof otherwise.

I kind of lusted for the 1020 a bit when it came out, but I have no reason to switch phones yet. I'm extremely happy with this phone.

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I also own the L920 for almost a year. and I think you don't have to switch, specially if you are try to have a new WP device :D
L920 is really a great phone for me and hold it very good. you should wait a little more as i think. at least until WP8.1 devices is there ;)

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is easily the best phone I have ever owned. Never had a problem with it. Rock solid!!!

I will be keeping it for a while longer....

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My L920's running like a champ. Minus the reset gears issue it's been a highly dependable phone (to me) and I don't notice any problems in the way of lag or the like with GDR3, should be fine. I'll replace it with a phone designed around Windows Phone 8.1.

hfcas

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a l920 for over a year now. It's been running smoothly. Really love it. Except for the vertical cyan line on the screen, though. Still I guess I'll stick with it for another year.

Jmac28040

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the 920 for a year, no issues with mine, its a great phone. I did switch to the 1520, though, only because I'm one those can't see, won't where glasses types and wanted the big screen

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo