OneNote - garbage software - I did not know this was a title. How can I get it off of my computer?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

OneNote - garbage software - I did not know this was a title

How did OneNote get onto my computer. It is garbage software and I want it off my computer. Any ideas?

OneNote snuckup on me and I do not like it. I do not know what it is or what it is supposed to do. It is forcing me to find long ways around to print photos. It keeps pushing me toward a cloud, which i also want nothing to do with. It also seems to be connected to OneDrive, which I also do not know what is and do not want it.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: OneNote - garbage software - I did not know this was a title

Always remove software from add/remove programs. Often you can right click to uninstall.
That being said, if you give it a shot, you might find OneNote the best overall piece of software ever created. I can write on it and it shows up on my wife's phone as she's grocery shopping. You can use it as free writing software if you can't afford Office. You can add audio and video, webpages, capture all your favorite recipes... I use it at work to store code snippets I use for development.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

How did OneNote get onto my computer. It is garbage software and I want it off my computer. Any ideas?

OneNote snuckup on me and I do not like it. I do not know what it is or what it is supposed to do. It is forcing me to find long ways around to print photos. It keeps pushing me toward a cloud, which i also want nothing to do with. It also seems to be connected to OneDrive, which I also do not know what is and do not want it.

OneNote is the most underrated piece of software I have ever used. It is unbelievably powerful and the syncing features are almost instantaneous. Just do some reading up on it and you'll see...

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

to uninstall onenote open powershell as admin and type:
Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
then press enter

But seriously you should try these things, onedrive is a cloud storage that a) gives you limited versions of office to use for free (that honestly aren't all that limited) and if you sign in on your phone (iPhone, android, or windows phone) you can get an extra 15gbs of storage for free (you get 15 originally so thats 30gbs for free that sync acorss all your pcs and phones if you want it too, or it just stays in the cloud). OneNote is great note taking app, you can make different notebooks with different tabs, and different sections int the tabs, it stays on that device, or you can have it sync everywhere and its not jsut a notebook, you can insert pictures and maps and a bunch of stuff, or make a checklist like stevesu said and itll show up on your devices and anyone you share it with. All that to say, you should try these things out before uninstalling them, and if you still don't like them go ahead and uninstall, then you know why you dont like it.

Hope this helps!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

How did OneNote get onto my computer.

OneNote and OneDrive are both Microsoft Products so they got bundled in with the OS and/or your Office install. These items are included to help boost your productivity and connectivity. However, they certainly are not mandatory.

As others said, you can uninstall via Power Shell or use Control Panel > Programs and Features to remove them. Getting rid of OneNote is fairly straightforward.

For OneDrive it is a bit more circuitous. On the TaskBar click on "Show Hidden Icons"

attachment.php

Right click the OneDrive icon in the tray and select Settings.

On the settings tab:

attachment.php

Uncheck the box to have OneDrive start when you sign in and click the "Unlink" button.

You've now uncoupled your computer from your OneDrive cloud storage. (Yes, mine is unlinked... But that's because I'm using the advanced method of controlling my OneDrive as a network drive I connect to manually and sync my files with by hand. But what I've shown will eliminate your files syncing to the cloud at OneDrive.)

Next, open File Explorer and find OneDrive.

attachment.php

Any files that show in there should be moved to a location on your hard drive for archiving and you can sort through them later to see what needs to be saved and where.

Once you have your archiving done, you can delete anything inside OneDrive on your computer. It should all be duplicates anyway. That's what OneDrive does on PC. It backs up files for you to the cloud...

On your PC browser navigate to onedrive.live.com and sign in with your Microsoft Account. Empty your folders there, but for safety you should inspect and make sure you are not destroying your only copy of some files...

When you complete all these processes you should reboot.

Like others, I think you are giving up some powerful tools. However, you didn't ask for opinions, you asked for solutions. I hope I provided some solutions for you.

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Capture02.png
    Capture02.png
    545.1 KB · Views: 32
  • onedrive.png
    onedrive.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 16

Members online

Forum statistics