OneNote Not Syncing on Lumia 640 - Error Code 80070005

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After editing an existing note in the OneNote app on my Lumia 640 this morning, OneNote subsequently gave me an error message saying that it "Can't sync". After pressing 'View Sync Status', I get the following information:

"Result:
You don't have permission to edit this file and the sync has stopped. Contact the owner of the file to request approval and then try again. Error Code = 80070005"

It was working fine yesterday, and the only thing I've done since then was to was to edit the aforementioned note.

I've restarted my phone twice, and reset the OneDrive app (using 'Menu' - 'Settings' - 'Options' - 'Rest App'). I've also sync'd my Microsoft account (using 'All Settings' - 'Accounts' - 'Email + Accounts' - 'Microsoft account' - 'sync'). I haven't tried a hard reset because the Windows Phone Settings Back-Up system doesn't store all the settings, so it's a very inconvenient process that might not even work anyway.

Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

I recently read that Microsoft have stopped making smartphones as of late-2016, so I sincerely hope that this isn't a result of them removing support for their devices. I know Facebook recently removed support for Windows Phones with respect to their Messenger app, so I accept that I'll probably have to switch to Android by the end of this year. However, I use the OneNote app A LOT, so I need to keep my notes up-to-date in the meantime.

Thanks for any help!

LucSky

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I know that at this point it is already pretty obvious that this is a large scale problem. My OneNote stopped syncing at the exact same date as everyone else (11.04.17), and it seems to affect not only OneNote, but OneDrive and Office as well, what makes me think that this is a OneDrive problem (since the aforementioned apps are all linked to its content).
I surely hope this is not the beginning of the end, but if this is the case, then these news should be spread, since there was almost nothing to be found on the internet about this problem. Someone should seriously post about this in some blog or some tech site to others to see, given this problem is not solved and escalates to something bigger.
I still hope for a solution and I'll accompany this thread until one is found.

MS Icon

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Sad thing is Ive been on the phone with different Microsoft departments and none of them have any idea of whats going on. They didn't even know that when you try to use the phones web browser to go to onenote.com, yes you find the updated files, but once you try to launch they, it tries to open in the local onedrive app, resulting in the same problem. Cannot find or launch due to the same error. It cant be tied to one type of cell carrier as I tried on a phone with no sim just WiFi. I could be wrong. I have Verizon. Does anyone having this have a different carrier. I'm at a loss. My entire company is affected by this and this is not a good look if Microsoft wants to win Server rooms over to their 0-365 cloud enterprise. smh. I wonder if I had an Iphone or Droid and install the onedrive app will it sync during this time?

Gianluca Marcellino

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I have the very same problem on a Lumia 635 with WP8.1, with one significant positive opening: syncronisation still works perfectly against notebooks that are stored on a corporate O365 OneDrive for Business location.

All notebooks stored on a personal OneDrive location have the exact issue described here.

AnnWalker

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
I have had the same problem since 11th April on the Lumia 635. OneNote won't sync and I can't download latest versions of Word documents. When I look in the Store at top free apps OneDrive is showing as just a grey square now. I hope it gets sorted, I will miss the features so much.

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I purchased a Android handset today (Huawei P9 Lite), which I will be switching over to on Tuesday next week (I want to keep using my old Windows Phone at work until I've spent a few days setting up/testing the new Android one). This incident with Onenote - along with growing issues surrounding Windows Phone app support - have totally put me off the platform. Microsoft have made it clear that their future is NOT invested in Windows Phones, which is a shame because the hardware is actually fantastic. The software was good too (while it lasted), and I actually can't see why it couldn't continue without active support as the previous apps were stable with WP8.1 (which was itself also stable). For that reason, I get the impression that Microsoft has begun to actively subvert their own product line, which is just insane.

I've also transferred all my OneNote data across to Evernote, which I will be using with the new Android device. I would like to eventually switch back to OneNote, if Microsoft ever get around to fixing the syncing problem, but Evernote seems to work quite well so I may just stick with it.

Long story short, Microsoft just lost a very loyal customer. I'm sure their accountants already wrote off their entire smartphone market long ago, and I know corporations are impervious to any form of conscience, but I'm sure Satya Nadella believes in some form of Karma.

melhall10

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi Alex,

I will be switching to Evernote, too. How did you do the import, or did you have to manually add your data into Evernote? I can't seem to find the instructions for that in Evernote.

I found it Alex under File and Import in Evernote. It's a shame about OneNote. I'm trying Office 365 for Business as a trial, but I don't know now....not good business practices....

I purchased a Android handset today (Huawei P9 Lite), which I will be switching over to on Tuesday next week (I want to keep using my old Windows Phone at work until I've spent a few days setting up/testing the new Android one). This incident with Onenote - along with growing issues surrounding Windows Phone app support - have totally put me off the platform. Microsoft have made it clear that their future is NOT invested in Windows Phones, which is a shame because the hardware is actually fantastic. The software was good too (while it lasted), and I actually can't see why it couldn't continue without active support as the previous apps were stable with WP8.1 (which was itself also stable). For that reason, I get the impression that Microsoft has begun to actively subvert their own product line, which is just insane.

I've also transferred all my OneNote data across to Evernote, which I will be using with the new Android device. I would like to eventually switch back to OneNote, if Microsoft ever get around to fixing the syncing problem, but Evernote seems to work quite well so I may just stick with it.

Long story short, Microsoft just lost a very loyal customer. I'm sure their accountants already wrote off their entire smartphone market long ago, and I know corporations are impervious to any form of conscience, but I'm sure Satya Nadella believes in some form of Karma.

Last edited:

mikkelnielsen

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
basically support has ended for wp8.1 OS, I felt forced to upgrade to Wp10 on my Lumia 735, which after the upgrade was able to run the WP10 version of onenote released 11th april.

so all people able to upgrade to windows 10 can solve the problem by doing so, the rest which is not so fortunate will just have to face the music, and shift to android or iOS. end of Windows phone - end of story. . . . :crying:

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
melhall10 - I just copied each note across manually. It took awhile (as I have over 30 notes), but it wasn't too inconvenient and Evernote has a very good sorting system so it's worked out well. I only use Evernote's web client at the moment (when on a PC), but I did use the downloadable version initially. It has many features, so I wouldn't be surpirsed if there is some kind of cross-platform importing feature.

mikkelnielsen - So basically, any phone that isn't currently supported by the WP10 upgrade is dead. That sucks! I could understand them pulling support for WP8.1 if they fully replaced it with WP10, but this basically means that a whole range of Mirosoft handsets will progressively lose functionality over the next few months (until all but the most basic features are dead). This could have been remedied by Micrisoft releasing WP10 for all WP8.1-compatible handsets, but I guess they just couldn't be bothered.

This whole saga surely exemplifies the failure that WP10 ultimately was. Granted, it works fine on the most recent handsets, but the whole point of Microsoft's 'Windows 10 vision' was to create a single operating system homogenised across platforms. But their failure to homogenise older Windows Phone operating systems means that WP10 is nothing more than a new flavour of the month.... a flavour that will surely die when Microsoft pulls the final plug on Windows Phone (which will probably happen soon at this rate).

WinFoneDan

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Add me to the list!!! I have 2 Windows Phones...Lumia 1320 and MS 640XL...both Last synced: 4/11/2017 9:55:04 AM.
Error Code = 80070005.
If this issue persists over the next week or so...I will make the upgrade to Win 10 on the 640XL and the 1320 will just become a phone and texting device...maybe play a few games on it too...the 1320 processor is a little faster than the 640XL.
For those of you upgrading...I have tried upgrading my 1320 over a year ago using the WIP and I had to roll it back to 8.1 a few days later. It might have worked except I didn't reset my phone first, and I tried to restore a backup...uggh.
1. You will have to manually copy and write down all of your desktop shortcuts since you will NOT be able to restore from a previously saved backup. (You might be able to save each of your desktop shortcuts as favorites?) Then they will also be saved on your desktop/laptop IE as well when it syncs.
2. Save all of your Phone folders contents - Photos - Documents - Ringtones - Etc. Music should all be on your Micro SD Card.
3. Make sure phone is fully charged
4. Perform a Hard Reset
5. After your phone comes back, when you sign in (DO NOT Restore any previously saved Backups)
6. Get Windows 10 Upgrade adviser app https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ws%2Fwindows-10-mobile-upgrade&token=5VdF4vMh
NOTE: if Upgrade adviser doesn't work - use the Windows Insider Program and select either Slow Ring or Preview release.
7. Make sure phone is fully charged before upgrading.
Good Luck.

PrinceXamim

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
Having the VERY SAME problem with my Lumia 430 running 8.1... Thankfully, an update to 10 is avaulable on my device, but I'm a bit reluctant to download the update as I've heard nothing but "horror" stories about The 10...!
Anyhow. At first, I thought it's a problem with my phone "AGAIN" (Had to hard reset the phone not too long ago because of error 80073cfe. It was a complete pain...)
But I'm sure "glad" (Sorry about that...!) see that I'm not the only person dealing with this issue...!
BTW, My Twitter app is also facing some issues. The phone is not getting any push notifications, although the app is running fine otherwise. Can anyone confirm this...? Oh and, its also not showing up at the notifications and actions settingsafter I re-installed it.
I've a feeling that Twitter is also about to end its support for Windows Phone 8.1...

PrinceXamim

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
In case anyone wondering how to backup the notes. I've an easy solution for this:
1. Install Metro Filr Manager.
2. Open your note.
3. Tap on share.
4. In the list, select Metro File Manager.
6. Rename the ".ONE" to ".TXT".
5. Tap the little "save" icon at the bottom.
6. Now open The Meteo file manager.
7. Click on personal folder. Now you note should be in here.
Unfortunately, it'll only retrive your text, not any pics and audio you may have had on the note. And that's its only con...
As for the .ONE file, I can't find a way to open it. Tried to open it with OneNote 2010 but no luck...
Hope it helps...!

Fleetstepair22

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm with WinPhone 8.1, an amazing Lumia 530. Should I change to WinPhone 10, or Android?
If WinPhone10 will stop, why don't we don't just change to android and forget Win 10?

Speaking from a * WinPhone 8.1 user - not knowing anything about WinPhone 10 - i've seen android cellphones * perspective, WinPhone 10 might be enoughly better than android to not change from Win 8.1 to android, even if android has OneNote. But idk, I'll have to investigate.

Also: If you have a WinPhone 10 already, you may not change from there to android, until the situation with WinPhone 10 doesn't become critical.

And based on the two points mentioned above apps might still release content in Win 10, instead of stopping.

Regarding WinPhone 10 being good or bad:
  • This goes to Microsoft's part: Will you just abandon things in WinPhone 10, or invest... in a dead ended product, but still: Will you invest in a great product for as long as WinPhone 10 lasts, or will you abandon it?

• Based on my experience with WinPhone 8.1, if I had a well running One Note in WinPhone 10, and the OS itself also worked great... I think I would go to WinPhone 10... Even if it's a dead end.

I think WinPhone 8.1 runs faster than android cellphones, and spends less wifi (memory? bandwith?)... I mean, WinPhone 8.1 has always been clean, I think, and androids... are at least slow.

I'm no sharp observer of the not clean things about WinPhone's OS though, so idk.

PrinceXamim

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
@Fleetstepair22 Well, WP does run faster than Android on a compareable hardware but (comma) it's quite expected as WP is just a notch above a dumb phone.
No expandable notifications, no direct replies, terrible to navigate settings menu, no option to add custom keyboard, no option to set a third party browser as the default browser, no option for launchers, widgets, no lock screen notifications, no keyboard cursor, AI Cortana still in beta. Then there are freezing tiles, spotty push notificationa which sometimes seeze to work for no apparent reason. Any bug in the OS will force you to hard reset. Then there's app quality. Almost all apps I use (Except for What'sApp) were updated well over an year ago...
There are just so many things missing from Windows that the relatively sluggishness of Android is nothing. Besides, Android has come a long way in recent years. Have you seen The budget basic Nokia 3 in action? The UI is as smooth as iOS...! And its a low end device, compareable to a Lumia 550 in terms of price.
It's about time we all abandon Windows for good as MS doesn't seem to be interested in The OS anymore... So why should we...?
Let it die in peace, eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12