OneNote Not Syncing on Lumia 640 - Error Code 80070005

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After editing an existing note in the OneNote app on my Lumia 640 this morning, OneNote subsequently gave me an error message saying that it "Can't sync". After pressing 'View Sync Status', I get the following information:

"Result:
You don't have permission to edit this file and the sync has stopped. Contact the owner of the file to request approval and then try again. Error Code = 80070005"

It was working fine yesterday, and the only thing I've done since then was to was to edit the aforementioned note.

I've restarted my phone twice, and reset the OneDrive app (using 'Menu' - 'Settings' - 'Options' - 'Rest App'). I've also sync'd my Microsoft account (using 'All Settings' - 'Accounts' - 'Email + Accounts' - 'Microsoft account' - 'sync'). I haven't tried a hard reset because the Windows Phone Settings Back-Up system doesn't store all the settings, so it's a very inconvenient process that might not even work anyway.

Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

I recently read that Microsoft have stopped making smartphones as of late-2016, so I sincerely hope that this isn't a result of them removing support for their devices. I know Facebook recently removed support for Windows Phones with respect to their Messenger app, so I accept that I'll probably have to switch to Android by the end of this year. However, I use the OneNote app A LOT, so I need to keep my notes up-to-date in the meantime.

Thanks for any help!

PrinceXamim

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
@Fleetstepair22 I think WE ALL should abandon Windows Nobile platform as its nothing but a liability.
People deem WP as stable, but coming from an Android, it feels like a beta to me...!
Can't tell how upset I'm right now. I can't stnc my Notes, cant aync my documnts and pics, can't use Messenger, Twitter is next to useless as it's no longer sending push notifications. And what else, I'm from a country where Here Maps are unavailable...! Can't use Uber... Can't use Here Drive... Then there's no Youtube, no Google Maps, no Gmail, nothing...! And the built-in E-Mail client is just... PATHETIC by modern standards...
I use Opera for browsing and... Well, it's absolutely hopeless when compared to its Android or iOS counterparts and to add insult to the injury, the auto-correct dictionary somehow doesn't work in Opera Mini...!
Please, do yourself a HUGE favor and get rid of that phone. The upcoming Nokias are everything you need with clean and fast stock Android and timely updates.
And now a days, Android is actually FASTER than Windows and iPhone...!
Google has done some real magic with Android Nougat as it just feels SO snappy than Jelly Bean and Kitkat...!

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I just downloaded the Upgrade Advisor app, and after running it I get the following message:

"The Windows 10 upgrade isn't available for your phone at the moment. We're trying to determine if your phone can support Windows 10."

So I WAS right - Windows 10 STILL doesn't support oldet handsets.

In either case, WP8.1 is the second most recent Microsoft OS, and their policy for desktop OS is to support the 3 most recent versions, so it's unreasonable to put this issue down to the OS (asie from the fact that it simply ISN'T the OS, as we now know).

Very disappointed in Microsoft for his. First we lose two thirds of our storage space, then we lose the Facebook Messenger app (not to mention a few more that have removed WP support in the last year), and now OneNote completely stops working.

I was already planning to switch to Android in June-July, but now it looks like I'll also have to eschew OneNote for a Android alternative. Is Google Keep the closest equivalent, in that respect?

Shame on you Microsoft. You conned us into thinking you actually give a damn about the cell phone market, but clearly you were just trying to milk Nokia for as many hardware sales as possible before dumping the market and removing support.

There is something wrong with the Upgrade Advisor right now.640 is supported for W10 . Normally you would have been able to get W10 through Upgrade Advisor app.This issue has been discussed in this thread -

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/456462-2.htm#post3651993

640 is one of the phones supported for Creators Update also which many phones are not.

MSPowerUser has articles about these problems too -
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-begins-block-windows-10-mobile-updates-majority-windows-phones/

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-phone-8-1-users-report-issues-syncing-onedrive-onenote/

MS Icon

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I am having the clock issue as well since the Onenote issue. I was recommended to do the following from the Windows phone (it made things worse). Settings>Applications Tab> Office> Reset Office. Since I did that it worse because my Onenote now seems as no one is signed into it, showing default sample notes. There is no way to sign into Onedrive from a Windows phone, opposed to Android or I/os. So now I seemingly have to do what I did not want to do, a factory wipe of the entire phone. smh. I had to use a temporary Android over the weekend because thats the only thing that would show me real time Onenote files.

stjmarin

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
These issues better get resolved soon. I am also now having issues with internet sharing. I picked up an ASUS mini transformer a couple of weeks ago and it has been dropping the connection to my Lumia 928 on a regular basis. Not good enough for remote support, and i am wondering if windows phone 8.1 can play nice at all with windows 10.

I also performed the Office Reset and have the same issue. I am basically signed out of everything, although i can see all of my folders and files.

skyjacker 1

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
alex, i have the same problem with a Blu hd lte phone. i have done all the things you all have with no fix, even hard reset. this happened on 4/11/2017 and cannot sync onenote even when i created a new onenote account. this also happened when MS an update to win 10 (creators update). i think both things are part of the problem but i dead in the water. i send updates to my phone via e-mail now. any help would be great.

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
[Sorry for writing replies this way, but the Windows Central website isn't displaying the Quote/Reply buttons for me in this thread for some reason]

MS Icon: "Yes, I am having the clock issue as well since the Onenote issue. I was recommended to do the following from the Windows phone (it made things worse). Settings>Applications Tab> Office> Reset Office. Since I did that it worse because my Onenote now seems as no one is signed into it, showing default sample notes. There is no way to sign into Onedrive from a Windows phone, opposed to Android or I/os. So now I seemingly have to do what I did not want to do, a factory wipe of the entire phone. smh. I had to use a temporary Android over the weekend because thats the only thing that would show me real time Onenote files."

1.) I also tried resetting Office several times, and it didn't help any of these issues.
2.) Don't do a factory reset, as I and several other people have tried this to no avail. All it will do is make you waste time setting up your phone again.

stjmarin: "i am wondering if windows phone 8.1 can play nice at all with windows 10."

None of the system backups transfer over, so you'd need to set up the entire phone again if you have do perform a factory reset as part of the changeover. WP10 is also likely to lose support from Microsoft within the next year or so, as they've officially stopped making Windows Phones as of last year. As a result, the platform will probably lose more app support over the next few months as app developers cotton on to the fact that WP market growth is technically impossible now.

Also, this issue may end up affecting WP10 users, even though it doesn't affect Android or iOS whatsoever. My advice would be to switch to Android NOW before things get worse, which would actually solve your OneNote access problem.

I think it's worth mentioning that the clock issue experienced by MS Icon and I is potentially the sign of a nascent bug with WP8.1, which may develop into broader problems as time goes on. It could be unrelated to the OneNote issue, but the fact that it started at the EXACT SAME TIME makes me doubt that. There's no technical reason for them to have the same cause (as the WP8.1 system clock is a separate software module to the OneNote app), so this means one of two things:

1.) The clock issue CAUSED the OneNote issue (with clock bugs only being displayed on some devices)
2.) The two events are the resulted of a 'killswitch' initiative by Microsoft, designed to kill off the OS and force people onto WP10.

I personally think both scenarios are equally likely, and the recent problems with Upgrade Advisor suggest that Microsoft IS making some changes with that software. Perhaps they screwed up, and didn't get WP10 ready into time for the push?

TL;DR - Now is the time to abandon Windows Phone and shift to Android. Doing so will fix the OneNote issue, along with every other issue resulting from the platform's slow death.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
There are a lot of problems with Windows 10 Mobile, covering everything from hardware to software. And it sucks. But in the end, it's a phone. We all should be using whatever device makes our life easier.

That aside, the OneNote sync issue is definitely a server-side issue, and it has happened before. I am surprised that Microsoft still hasn't gotten around to fixing this. It has been almost a week.

The two events are the resulted of a 'killswitch' initiative by Microsoft, designed to kill off the OS and force people onto WP10.

The killswitch doesn't make sense. But lately, neither do Microsoft's decisions with Mobile, so who knows?

hc2dev2

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
hi,

is it a right synthese ?
- onenote wp 8.1 does not work anymore and will never
- the only issue is to upgrade on wp10
- if not possible to upgrade => change to Evernote

thanks to confirm

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
hc2dev2 - Yes, that's basically the gist of it. The OneNote client for WP8.1 will no longer operate, but this is compounded by the fact that, while WP10 'officially' supports many legacy WP handsets, some of them (including mine) can't ACTUALLY get the WP10 update. I'm not sure if the Upgrade Adviser has been fixed since I last used it (when it told me the update isn't available). However, the Evernote app works perfectly well, so I'd highly recommend switching to that.

It's also worth mentioning that there seem to be issues with sorting notes on the Android OneNote app (which I'm now using). They're not major, but it's enough to keep me with Evernote for the time being.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to provide an update on this situation.

There have been some issues with both OneDrive and Upgrade Advisor over the past week. Upgrade Advisor is now functioning properly, and anyone who wants to upgrade their eligible phones to Windows 10 Mobile may do so. As far as OneNote and OneDrive are concerned, Microsoft has acknowledged there is a server-side issue that has been affecting users since April 10. They have identified the root cause and are working on a fix.

AnnWalker

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
My OneNote is working fine again now and I can also open my current word documents on OneDrive again. Thank goodness for that. How long for is another matter though. Evernote seems ok so if we lose it again I will be going back to that.

Hardzsi

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I can also affirm, OneNote is syncing again on NOKIA Lumia 520 (WP8.1).

It stopped syncing for me around 10 April, but the problem is definitely solved now (tested PC <-> mobile syncing both directions).

It's a pity, that due to this ~10 days long sync error, lots of enduring WP users turned away from this platform, but it's perfectly understandable, because Microsoft itself seem to be abandoned WP a long time ago...

melhall10

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
My OneNote is working fine again now and I can also open my current word documents on OneDrive again. Thank goodness for that. How long for is another matter though. Evernote seems ok so if we lose it again I will be going back to that.

I'm back up too and I agree about it happening again. I think i might just stick with Evernote.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senda.123