Ongoing issues with Denim on the ICON...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is a thread to start keeping all the issues people are having with the ICON with Denim in one place. If your are posting an issue, note if it was a upgrade or hard reset. Now that Denim has been out in the wild for a few weeks, this would be a great shot to keep everything in one place and if you have a FIX for said issue.

Over all it's pretty good but, not bug free in anyway(after the delay I was really expecting almost perfect). It's got some issues that are driving me nuts. Here is what I have seen so far...

1. Internet Connection will just drop, no apps will get internet, random and under full LTE or Wi-Fi when it happens, This was a old issue that happened with 8.0 when we first got the phones, there was a patch that came down for it. After a soft reset everything is fine.

This is a major issue, because you can miss email with timed events, if you only look at the tiles, everything will appear fine, in till you open email and it will give you a "cant connect" message. In a business world, this CANT happen and needs to be addressed.

2. Store, I will see application updates listed but, even for a tiny (19mb) app update, it will keep giving a message "Cant connect to the store", internet it working fine(full LTE), it's a random per app issue(90$ of the time it will give this error), SOMETIMES it will work over LTE. If I turn on Wi-Fi it can connect fine and it downloads the update(s) fine.

3. Hey Cortana sensitivity. If I say, Hey Cortana and I am close to the phone (like a foot or so from my mouth) 95% of the time it will work. IF I am a few feet away, it does not work, same goes for in my pocket.

I did this test in my office, put face down on my desk, Hit the search button, ran across the room (about 6 feet away, marked point) and said a command, out of 3 times, Cortana heard me fine and got everything 95% right (with very minor background noise). If I am in the same room, at the same distance, and say, Hey Cortana, nothing happens, if I yell it, same thing, as I get closer, maybe a foot or 2 away, it will work.

From my pocket, while I am driving my Lexus LS (very quiet car), it's maybe 5% of the time it will work.

4. Camera focus, One of the biggest issues I was hoping to fix on this phone regarding the camera was a lot faster focus to capture the MOMENT. Yes, now the camera OPENS quicker but, taking a picture is not any faster if ANYTHING it's a little slower to focus. This does nothing to help the problems with this camera. As my wife's iPhone 5, will snap a "good" picture within a split second, on my phone it takes a second or 2 and it really is the difference in missing the "moment"

What other issues are you seeing ?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Started getting random reboots again yesterday. I didn't have any the first few weeks post Denim but it happened once yesterday and again today. Both times while I was playing music connected to a Bluetooth speaker, which was how it happened most of the time with the PFD. I updated OTA, no hard reset.

Kent_Ng

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes can't or very hard to do another task when I'm on call. Because the screen keep turn off after a few seconds turned on repeatedly.
That's so uncomfortable and annoying...!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
With WiFi now, my Icon is only happy with hooking up with the weaker band of my dual band router, not a problem for me as my house isn't that big, but if I needed bigger coverage, it could be problematic. This could be due to my router though, as it's one of the original dual band models, it has issues with my wife's Apple devices hogging band width shutting out my devices.

I'm not happy with how you have to shut off notifications now, too may steps. I'd like to have it as one of the options in the drop down quick actions menu, or better yet have it an option on the lock screen.

Other than the above issues, 8.1/ Denim is a great improvement.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Phone restarted while on a call, 4 times. It may be the car charger I was using too. Wifi is a hit and miss will fix the issue by taking the router back for a different one. Phone would freeze while tryin to install apps.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
IS anyone else having the app update issue ? I see application updates, I click and download, under LTE, 95% of the time, it will give a "Cant connect to the store", I will re-try and re-try, till I just turn on Wi-Fi and it works perfectly.

The problem is, Both of the last updates I had this issue was...One app was 3mb and the other update was 19mb, all within range to download over a data connection.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My wife is having a couple of issues after Denim.

1) No sound when trying to play music or use the alarm (has to restart phone to get it to work)
2) Can't hear or be heard in calls (has to restart phone to get it to work)

I think I'm going to try using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to load 8.1/Denim without preview for developers.

jdotlope

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
My phone keeps rebooting on its own right after it goes to sleep. Started after the latest update. Screen goes dark, and a second or two later, it restarts.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Reinstalled the update with Lumia Software Recovery Tool and seems to be working well. Will keep you updated. Didn't take very long, just copied all folders off the the phone to laptop, run the tool, then copy everything back.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes my wifi just doesn't connect, but a soft reset fixes it. I also feel like the battery is draining faster.

Updated via LSRT

Did you restore from a backup? I had a severe battery drain on Monday I used Here Drive+ and my charger couldn't keep up with the drain it caused. Sometimes an app goes into overdrive mode and starts eating battery life and overheating the phone. This was a problem I ran into several times awhile back.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've updated to Denim via the recovery tool and the only issue I have is data connectivity issues on LTE. Wifi is fine, Bluetooth is fine, but LTE is off/on even with full bars.

The funny thing is I got the icon because I dropped my 928 and it wouldn't transmit data on LTE. ( -_-)

ljharper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
The only problem I have noted regularly is when tapping a tile to open an app, there will very often be a black screen as if the app is trying to load, then after several seconds of lag I will be dropped back to the home screen. Tapping the tile again right away at first appears that the home screen is completely unresponsive, but if I wait several seconds it will again attempt to load the app, typically again dropping me back to the home screen. Usually on the 3rd tap, the app will finally open.

I experience this randomly, with many various apps such as Weather, Facebook, Swarm, Cortana, or opening the camera. In fact this behaviour has occured when pressing the camera button to wake the phone up to take a pic. Aafter getting no response from the camera button I will unlock the phone and try to run the camera app from the app list with the above results. That of course is one of the most frustrating scenarios of this issue, since I obvioulsy miss taking the picture I was wanting.

A soft reset of the phone will typically resolve the issue immediately, but it always recurrs eventually.

I updated to Denim via OTA from developers preview, no hard reset.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The funny thing is I got the icon because I dropped my 928 and it wouldn't transmit data on LTE. ( -_-)

I've run into low LTE signal too, but I've never had a problem with it not receiving or sending data. Depending on where you are, you may or may not get full LTE bars. There is always interference from buildings, stray signals, and (yes) solar activity, plus the fact that there are a lot of other people also using LTE on their phones. I have three bars at my house, but still getting decent throughput (around 9ish MBps). I've had less than three bars and gotten around 15-20MBps in other places. The amount of bars isn't always a good measure of how much throughput you will get. It's just the strength of the signal you are receiving not how fast you are sending or receiving data.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've run into low LTE signal too, but I've never had a problem with it not receiving or sending data. Depending on where you are, you may or may not get full LTE bars. There is always interference from buildings, stray signals, and (yes) solar activity, plus the fact that there are a lot of other people also using LTE on their phones. I have three bars at my house, but still getting decent throughput (around 9ish MBps). I've had less than three bars and gotten around 15-20MBps in other places. The amount of bars isn't always a good measure of how much throughput you will get. It's just the strength of the signal you are receiving not how fast you are sending or receiving data.

If I have full bars at work and a speed test shows 600ms ping, 00.00 down, 00.00 up, nothing will load in apps or IE, while a coworker on the same network is watching videos on YouTube right next to me then something is wrong.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If I have full bars at work and a speed test shows 600ms ping, 00.00 down, 00.00 up, nothing will load in apps or IE, while a coworker on the same network is watching videos on YouTube right next to me then something is wrong.

I've had that happen once in a while; it's rare though. When it happens I do a soft reset and it clears itself up.

jsouth117

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Did you restore from a backup? I had a severe battery drain on Monday I used Here Drive+ and my charger couldn't keep up with the drain it caused. Sometimes an app goes into overdrive mode and starts eating battery life and overheating the phone. This was a problem I ran into several times awhile back.

Yes, I did restore from a backup. Do you think they will ever fix the overheating and battery drain issues?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did restore from a backup. Do you think they will ever fix the overheating and battery drain issues?

I don't know. I think the battery drain and overheating is app related not OS related. Not all apps are optimized for WP8.1 and I think what happens is that an app (in my case Here Drive+) doesn't shut down properly and goes into "meltdown mode" and starts eating battery. The OS thinks the app is shutdown, but it's not and because of that causes the problem.

Apps (games in particular) that need a lot of CPU/GPU resources are ALWAYS going to cause significant battery drain and over heating.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
3. Hey Cortana sensitivity. If I say, Hey Cortana and I am close to the phone (like a foot or so from my mouth) 95% of the time it will work. IF I am a few feet away, it does not work, same goes for in my pocket.

I did this test in my office, put face down on my desk, Hit the search button, ran across the room (about 6 feet away, marked point) and said a command, out of 3 times, Cortana heard me fine and got everything 95% right (with very minor background noise). If I am in the same room, at the same distance, and say, Hey Cortana, nothing happens, if I yell it, same thing, as I get closer, maybe a foot or 2 away, it will work.

From my pocket, while I am driving my Lexus LS (very quiet car), it's maybe 5% of the time it will work.

This may be a intended feature, not a bug...related to the proximity sensor. Like flip over to silence the ringer, the mic may be muted as well. Bug or feature, it actually comes in handy for me, as I sometimes run Windows 10 on the PC and only want Cortana to answer me on the PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb