Open Source version of WP coming?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Its rumored that Microsoft is investing in Cyanogen and also creating an Android based OS that fits nicely with MS services.

I think if Microsoft launches a Windows 10 for Phones launcher and have MS services combined with the fact that MS is making universal apps across Windows Phone, Windows, IOS and Android as shown in Build. Do you think this could become an open source version of Windows Phone that could run Android apps?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting idea, but I don't know if it will fly. Might give other Android phone providers ideas of how to avoid Google control. You never know.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I think that "Open Source" WP would be more like a fork from Android... think the Amazon Kindle tablets and phone with the Fire OS a modified Android version tailored for Amazon services and without Google play store.

To be honest i think this could be like a plan B for MS mobile strategy, a guerrilla type approach against Google and using their creation by introducing MS services into a modified Android. Me thinks this could work for chinese OEM's since they don't use Google services.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft would have to create an Android app store and convince developers to submit their apps.

Probably adding support for Android apps in WP has to be the first step. Developers would be attracted by the millions of current WP users.

But this is similar to Nokia X, with Microsoft outsourcing the Android fork to Cyanogen Inc.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Consider this from the hardware side as well.... MS/CM offering Lumias loaded with CM and MS services. They (Microsoft) have a hardware division that they would love to ramp up volume on to get economy of scale.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Now there's and idea. Let Microsoft join forces with Amazon using the Fire OS. As I have three Kindle Fires (& 3 WP phones) I could live with that. Funny but I have never considered my Fires as really Android. But then I have Moto G LTE and there is not a Google program on it.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
More likely to see their new built os Oxygen be a fork of Windows 10

The CM crew know their stuff and having a fully customizable Windows phone UI would be awesome. Their nightly builds show how much development is going on.

Cry me a river if you want but then build me bridge to get over it... Posted from my HTC M8

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting idea, but I don't know if it will fly. Might give other Android phone providers ideas of how to avoid Google control. You never know.
Well. You have universal apps that can extend to Windows, Android and IOS. Just put the Android like or the WP apps to the MS store. And charge the OS for free to undermine Google Android. And probably a Play Store option that can be sideloaded and use a WP launcher. There it becomes an open Source Windows Phone running on Linux

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
No way that will ever happen. Mind you, open source and source code availability is not the same thing. For Windows Mobile, Microsoft distributed it with some source code because to make it easier for them to adapt the OS for their hardware. I can think that Microsoft can do the same thing with Windows Phone. This will only be parts of Windows Phone and far from everything. Also, Google doesn't publish all their source code either. Source code for Google services for example is not distributed at all.

To conclude, Microsoft will never go open source unless the project is from the beginning under some open source license. Microsoft will perhaps publish some source for developers, probably under some NDA contract as well.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
No way that will ever happen. Mind you, open source and source code availability is not the same thing. For Windows Mobile, Microsoft distributed it with some source code because to make it easier for them to adapt the OS for their hardware. I can think that Microsoft can do the same thing with Windows Phone. This will only be parts of Windows Phone and far from everything. Also, Google doesn't publish all their source code either. Source code for Google services for example is not distributed at all.

To conclude, Microsoft will never go open source unless the project is from the beginning under some open source license. Microsoft will perhaps publish some source for developers, probably under some NDA contract as well.

Google doesn't publish Google services source code because Android at it's core is not and should not be tied to any service provider (Google/Microsoft or anyone else). anyone (with enough skill) can use the Android source code and build a functional Android OS. That's what Nokia did with the Nokia X series.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo